FAQ for Civ5 players with Mac computers

A lot of them don't post the files anywhere except in the Workshop. It's probably up to the Mac players who want them to keep pestering the creators to publish their civ5mod and civ5map files outside of the Workshop.

I have done some investigation to see if it's possible to download a mod outside of the game software. If you know its internal Workshop file name, you can get it. But so far I haven't found a way to get at that file name without using the Windows version of Civ5 to download the file.

So you're saying if you load and subscribe not he Windows side, THEN you can know the internal workshop file name?

can the internal workshop name be found if you load steam in a wineskin and subscribe to the mod?

If this really is possible, why don't we compile a list of internal names of the most popular mods. Worst case scenario if it is possible to know the name on the windows side, I could just load the windows partition and subscribe there if you show me how to know what the internal workshop file name is.

I was only able to see the download url by downloading the file using the Windows version of Civ5, by which time the file name is surplus to requirements as you already have the file.

I suspect that publishing a list of download file names for others to use would violate the EULA for Steam. You'd probably get sued.

I was only able to see the download url by downloading the file using the Windows version of Civ5, by which time the file name is surplus to requirements as you already have the file.

I suspect that publishing a list of download file names for others to use would violate the EULA for Steam. You'd probably get sued.

really? thats ridiculous. Although I suppose once they have the mod it is theirs by right.

I'm not clear on what you mean by ..."by which time the file name is surplus to requirements as you already have the file."

Can you PM me and tell me how to get the file on the OSX side, if I am able to log in on the windows side to get the file name. Also how to read the file name on the windows side. thanks.

really? thats ridiculous. Although I suppose once they have the mod it is theirs by right.
By reverse engineering the interaction between Civ5 and the server you are probably violating the EULA, regardless of who owns the rights to the actual files. But the system may also be used for distribution of paid for DLC, in which case there would be a financial impact if the files could be downloaded without going via the official process.
I'm not clear on what you mean by ..."by which time the file name is surplus to requirements as you already have the file."
Once you have downloaded the file in order to see the url, you obviously have the file in the Windows Civ5. You can then copy it across to your Mac version of Civ5 if you so wish. The only value the url has then is (a) to allow you to download the file again if you need to, or (b) to pass on to someone else who doesn't have a Windows environment to download the file. The latter might get you into hot water with Steam :p

New hot-fix patch released on Steam - version 1.0.1.705. App Store update will no doubt follow shortly, as the application packages for the two distributions seem to be identical.

There's this beta program called "macbeta" on steam. Does anyone know anything about it?
Would that be the version that supports Steam Workshop mods ?

That's either a private beta that you would have to be invited to join, or - more likely - just a place holder in case they decide to create a beta for the Mac version.

10. Can I transfer saved games between Mac and Windows versions of Civ5?
This is not supported by the Steam Cloud system for transferring saves. However, you can do it manually, by copying the save file via USB stick, Dropbox, email, shared drive etc. Find the Saves folder, where the files are stored, as follows:

On the Mac:
~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Saves/single (with effect from version 1.0.1.674)

On Windows XP (other versions of Windows may vary):
My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single

Note that Civ5 updates have frequently changed the file format, so you can only be sure of opening a Windows save if your Mac Civ5 is at the same version as the Windows one.

In case anyone is interested, you can automate the transfer above using symbolic links to a shared drive (I'm using Dropbox for my example).
  1. Create a "Saves" folder somewhere in your Dropbox.
  2. On the Windows side:
    1. Copy desired files/subfolders to your Dropbox "Saves" folder from your Windows "Saves" folder (see location above).
    2. Rename your Windows "Saves" folder to "Saves (old)" (in case you want to revert).
    3. Open a Windows Command Prompt (you may need to Run As Administrator) and navigate to where your Windows "Saves" folder was.
    4. At the command prompt, type
      Code:
      mklink /D Saves [path_to_your_Dropbox_Saves_folder]
      You must enclose the path to your Dropbox "Saves" folder in double quotes if it includes spaces. (For the curious, this creates a symbolic link to the Dropbox "Saves" folder; it looks like a shortcut, but a mere shortcut won't work for this).
  3. On the Mac side:
    1. Copy desired files/subfolders to your Dropbox "Saves" folder from your Mac "Saves" folder (see location above, and be careful not to overwrite files you previously copied from your Windows "Saves" folder).
    2. Rename your Mac "Saves" folder to "Saves (old)" (in case you want to revert).
    3. Open a Terminal window and navigate to where your Mac "Saves" folder was.
    4. At the command prompt, type
      Code:
      ln -s [path_to_your_Dropbox_Saves_folder] Saves
      (Tip: open a Finder window to your Dropbox "Saves" folder, grab the folder icon from the window titlebar and drop it into the Terminal window to easily insert the path). (For the curious, this creates a symbolic link to the Dropbox "Saves" folder; it looks like an alias, but a mere alias won't work for this; note the order of the target path and link name are reversed compared to the Windows mklink command).

Now, anytime you save or load games "locally" in Civ 5 for Windows and Mac, you will actually be saving and loading them from the shared drive.

Pros: Automatic--instead of copying files every time you play, you only have to follow the steps above once (well, unless a future expansion changes the file path for local saves). Unlike Steam Cloud, you are only limited by how much space you want to use up on your shared drive (in fact, you could use this as a Steam Cloud substitute between two Windows PCs or two Macs).

Cons: The caveat above about Civ 5 save version differences still applies. Also, for me at least, saves seem to load slower using this method than Steam Cloud (it may be that Steam Cloud is saving games using a different format more optimized for remote storage).

P.S. If you don't trust Dropbox, try using it with BoxCryptor (I have no relation to them other than as a satisfied user).

Hi,

Could you update question 1 with G&K please ?

In my case I brought Civ V for PC when it was released. Got the Mac a few month later and downloaded the OSX version from Steams, it works just fine. Can I buy the PC version of G&K and again download the Mac update from steam ? In that case do I need to install the expansion on a PC first to register it ?

Thanks for any help.

The F in FAQ stands for "Frequently". You are the first person to ask about buying Gods and Kings. :)

Gods and Kings works just the same as any other DLC (Downloadable Content) on Steam. You buy it, and all your copies of the game get updated next time you play them. There's no further registration required.

Hi

I recently purchased a Mac and, not realising there was a Steam client for Mac, have been playing Civ5 via BootCamp.
I have found a few old threads about performance differences between the Mac and Windows versions but was wondering if there are any major performance differences in the most recent versions (with G&K installed also).

9. What are the differences between the Steam and AppStore versions of Civ5?
General information is here. The user data - saves, mods, the .ini files - are saved in the ~/Library/Application Support/ folder. Details of changes in the way you enable the Mods menu in the AppStore version are here and here. At this time, all the Steam DLC is available for the Steam version. The AppStore version comes with some built-in DLC, and you can buy additional DLC packs using in-app purchasing - but this is only supported as of OS X 10.7 (Lion).

I am have followed the links and googled elsewhere, but I am still confused over the different versions. On the plus side, the price is amazing, and Mac users can now get better deals than PC users!

I just purchased the Game of the Year edition from Amazon. I still find Steam annoying, but this seems like a steal for less than $12.
http://www.amazon.com/Meiers-Civilization-Game-Edition-Download/dp/B006GTBUT4

Can anyone point me to a URL or two that would help me figure out the differences between the Steam Game of the Year version and the iTunes Campaign Edition?

If you have already bought the Steam version, there's really no advantage in getting the Campaign edition from the App Store.

The App Store version is Mac-only; it gets patches later (the "Fall" patch still hasn't landed); it can't play multiplayer over the Internet; and it's somewhat harder work to get and run mods.

In contrast, when you bought the Steam version you got the Windows and Mac versions for one price, making Bootcamp or VMs an option; the "Fall" patch is out for Mac on Steam; you can play over the Internet; and you don't have to jump through quite as many hoops to get mods to show up. You can also download mods from the Steam Workshop, though you still have to install them manually.

Thanks Alan. I am so impressed that, even though you don’t play, you would go an buy the iTunes version just to be able to help answer questions!

If you have already bought the Steam version, there's really no advantage in getting the Campaign edition from the App Store.

I am not about to buy the iTunes version, but I guess I am participating in some post-purchase rationalization since it was something of an impulse buy.

Is there a list of mods included in the Campaign Edition? The information available via iTunes does not seem to be very detailed, but maybe I am not digging around enough?

Is there an official list of mods included in the Game of the Year edition? This is the version I have, but not having the vanilla before, I cannot easily tell which is the extra material. I found some articles online, but nothing very authoritative. Were people really paying $3 just to have a new map or leader to play? Yikes!

It looks like Steam now has a Gold Edition for both Mac and PC players. What does it include that is not in the Game of the Year or iTunes Campaign versions?

No need for buyer remorse, I feel.

The Campaign Edition is just the Vanilla Civ5 with the same DLC as you get with that version from Steam. You can add Gods & Kings and other DLC via in-game purchase just as you can with the Steam Vanilla version. There's no real difference between the two software packages other than the patch level and the DRM system.

You have bought the Game of the Year version from Amazon, and registered it with Steam. I assume this includes additional bundled DLC which you would have to pay extra for if you had bought the Campaign Edition.

The Game of the Year and Gold editions are just marketing bundles. They happen with every version of Civ. I've no idea what the differences are, though I imagine Gold includes Gods & Kings, but maybe Game of the Year doesn't?

I’ve no idea what the differences are, though I imagine Gold includes Gods & Kings, but maybe Game of the Year doesn’t?

The GotY edition definitely does not include God & Kings. From what I find online, Gold does. I am still curious to know if there are content differences between GotY and the iTunes Campaign Edition.

The first post is now updated to include Steam version 1.0.2.44 released March 13 2013

The first post is now updated to include Steam version 1.0.3.18 - fully compatible with the current Windows version at the date of this post.

Brave New World is available on both Mac Civ5 versions, but the App Store version has not upgraded to 1.0.3.18. It's currently at v1.0.1.988

First post updated to include version 1.0.3.18 App Store Campaign Edition.

Top Bottom