Farewell

Nighthawk419

Deity
It's with sad emotions that I say farewell to all of you fellow civ gamers in this sub-forum. I will be forced to abandon all open games that I currently have. As many of you know, I've gotten insanely lucky to work for a company that I was able to download civ onto my work computer and play a few turns during the day during work hours in my office. Sadly, the gravy train is coming to an end. Over the years I've noticed the IT department slowly locking down many of the sites I used to download the game and its various patches and mods. In the last few years I've been unable to add new mods easily, and anytime I find a site to share files it gets locked down. In the last few months even civfanatics has sometimes not worked if I click a fresh link and don't have it bookmarked.

Well now I am getting an upgraded work computer. Exciting for my job, but that means I'm going to lose civ with any ability to download it or get it going again. As many of you also know, I do have a very busy family life, with 3 kids and now my wife pregnant with twins, jumping the count to 5. I barely have any personal time for gaming and when I do, its maybe a couple hours once a week or so. Certainly not enough to maintain any civ PBEM's at a good pace. And frankly I don't want to feel obligated to play PBEM turns during that time, I'd rather focus on doing whatever it is I'd like to do with that time.

I've been on this site since 2011, have admin hosted many PBEM's, joined many others, helped with replacements, and had a great experience both with playing, diplomacy and writing, the most fun parts of PBEM games. Sadly, I've never actually won a game, it seems my skills aren't that good. Part of that was that I got too involved with too many games all at once and couldn't focus on a good long term plan for each of them. Lately even as games have slowed and the community dwindled, I haven't gotten much better, because my job has gotten busier and I don't spend any time more than the bare minimum playing the turn, and most of the time I just fly through turns for the sake of keeping games moving more than actually enjoying it. My peak was 2011-2014 or so, and since then its been a slow decline in quality and speed for my games. I really hope most of you will see an uptick in speed at the very least with my departure, because I've still struggled to keep up with the few turns that are still coming through.

I didn't want to be that person that just disappears without a trace, so this is me saying goodbye. However many of you know my email and I will still be around. If I have some time I may still lurk around checking in on the games I've left behind to see how my various positions turned out. Anyone who replaces me feel free to email me and as I get time I may be able to give you some thoughts on what little strategy there may have been. The password to all my turns is "ajm" for any replacements to hack into. And any games I'm admining please email me for admin password.

Sorry everyone, but this time had to come eventually. I tried to make it last as long as I could, but my hand has been forced. It was fun gaming with ya'll over the years!!

Regards,
Nighthawk

Well... I don't know what to say! :sad:

I have this a mix feeling, really. I am sad to see you go, I am glad for your professional life and happy that you have such a fulfilling personnal life (5??? wooow...)

It was a pleasure playing with you! Even if you did a very sneaky attack to my gorgeous wonderfull Washington city... :mischief:

I also would like to thank you for your 'proper' attitude of just not dissappearing without a trace and letting everyone know what to expect. :hatsoff:

Thank you for everything and good luck wiht your life!

Last edited:
Thank you for noticing us! Even though I joined the pbem community rather late, it was pleasure to play with you and especially conducting some diplomacy. Too bad to see you go, but RL comes first.

Ahhh Darn, well it's been fun, I too am on my way out, I've been playing pbems since the beginning of Civ3 and Alpha Centauri that's 18 years. I have 8 games currently, in GM18 just a few turns complements of Luthor and out of the 7 remaining games I get give or take 2 turns a week Olympus and Randompires the rest I see just once a month or less. Anyway I've been building a Recording Studio for about a year now and since I'm home every night, no longer a truck driver a lot has changed

I think we owe thanks to Nighthawk for his contribution to the Civ4 pbem community here and for the creation and admin of several games which we are still enjoying. He has also contributed to discussions and negotiations in a reflective and always interesting perspective.

Most of all he has been a formidable opponent but also been fun to play with and play against.

I understand the circumstances he is now in and how life and family takes precedence. I wish him and his family well for the future - 5 children can be quite an undertaking, though ultimately rewarding.

Lastly I thank him for the manner of his stepping down.

Best wishes Nighthawk

Thanks for the wonderful remarks everyone. I do really appreciate it. I'm sure I will be back to play Civ 25 in about 20 years or so! haha. Thanks for all the kind words and wonderful playing with everyone. I hope you all can find replacements for me, or will retire some to the AI. The GM18 civs I have are vassals and should just go the AI anyway, they are well behind any chance of winning. And Luthor, that one invasion was probably the high point of my civ life! haha. Have fun everyone and enjoy this wonderful game! Thanks again for the fun times.

Oh so this is where those rumours of Nighthawk leaving got started, I was so confused about what everyone was talking about when talking about finding replacements for him.

I don't even know what to say, except, well...

Have you ever heard of condoms? :mischief:

All the best ... its been a fun distraction from real life

Top Bottom