1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Faster unit production

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Tobiyogi, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Prince

Are the whip-rules for wonders different? In my recent game, I was surprised that - while trying to whip The Oracle - 2 pop would seemingly NOT provide 60 hammers. Screenshot attached. I am only missing 40 something hammers, but still cannot whip for 2 pop....

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

2. AcaMetis

AcaMetis King

Certain buildings, like wonders, are indeed penalized and get less :hammers: per pop. That's why you often see people whipping into wonders, rather than whipping wonders directly - overflow is not penalized, so whipping, say, a worker with max overflow will put in more hammers than whipping the wonder directly. Of course it does take longer to set up/do in terms of turns, so if you really need to finish a wonder right now just eat the penalty.

Lexicus likes this.
  3. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

15:hammers: per pop for world wonders IIRC. 22,5 or 20 for national wonders?

4. AcaMetis

AcaMetis King

It depends on the wonder, I believe, some are more penalized than others. Someone posted a full list at some point, but I don't recall where.

EDIT: Found it, just needed a quick search :scan::

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Tobiyogi likes this.
  5. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Prince

Good to know. I would only whip a wonder in very urgent cases or when the worked tiles are rather bad, like in the shown example.
    So all National Wonders can be whipped for 20H/pop and the most relevant Great Wonders for 15H/pop.

6. gavenkoa

gavenkoa Warlord

Another nice article: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/vocum-sineratio-the-whip.193659/

7. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Oh ya, units start decaying after 10 turns and buildings after 50.
    That 1:hammers: Barracks can stay around for a loooong time waiting to get whipped.

Good memories.
    The 1st year I played this game, I didn't know you could move things around in the build queue.
    I was so embarrassed when I finally learned.

Anysense, gavenkoa and krikav like this.
  8. Anysense

Anysense King

I had not realized that slavery can be useful until I got to Immortal. I played my first Deity game with only vague understanding of whipping mechanichs, having used it before in a rather erratic manner. I was so scared to use the whip on a large scale, that I carefully planned whipping and research phases and finally learned, that slavery is exceptionally powerful tool!

sampsa likes this.