Faster unit production

Are the whip-rules for wonders different? In my recent game, I was surprised that - while trying to whip The Oracle - 2 pop would seemingly NOT provide 60 hammers. Screenshot attached. I am only missing 40 something hammers, but still cannot whip for 2 pop....

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Certain buildings, like wonders, are indeed penalized and get less :hammers: per pop. That's why you often see people whipping into wonders, rather than whipping wonders directly - overflow is not penalized, so whipping, say, a worker with max overflow will put in more hammers than whipping the wonder directly. Of course it does take longer to set up/do in terms of turns, so if you really need to finish a wonder right now just eat the penalty.

15:hammers: per pop for world wonders IIRC. 22,5 or 20 for national wonders?

It depends on the wonder, I believe, some are more penalized than others. Someone posted a full list at some point, but I don't recall where.

EDIT: Found it, just needed a quick search :scan::
Whipping wonders gives a penalty yes.
1 population lost to the whip no longer gives 30:hammers: when whipping a wonder. (Normal Speed)

The penalty depends on the Wonder's hurry cost modifier.
Here are the iHurryCostModifier from the BTS XML folder in case anyone wants the full list of 48 Wonders.

iHurryCostModifier = 50

Palace
Forbidden Palace
Globe Theatre
Hermitage
Heroic Epic
National Epic
National Park
Oxford University

iHurryCostModifier = 100
Angkor Wat
Chichen Itza
Colossus
Cristo Redentor
Great Library
Great Lighthouse
Great Wall
Hagia Sophia
Hanging Gardens
Mausoleum of Maussollos
Notre Dame
Oracle
Parthenon
Pyramids
Shwedagon Paya
Sistine Chapel
Spiral Minaret
Statue of Zeus
Stonehenge
Taj Mahal
Temple of Artemis
University of Sankore
Versailles
Ironworks
Moai Statues
Mt. Rushmore
Red Cross
Wall Street
West Point

iHurryCostModifier = 200
Kremlin
Eiffel Tower
Statue of Liberty
Broadway
Rock 'n' Roll
Hollywood
Three Gorges Dam
Pentagon

iHurryCostModifier = 300
Apostolic Palace
United Nations
Space Elevator

All that means is that after putting 1:hammers: or more into a build, whipping a iHurryCostModifier=50 wonder will produce 20:hammers: per population whipped.
Whipping a iHurryCostModifier=100 wonder will produce 15:hammers: per population whipped.
Whipping a iHurryCostModifier=200 wonder will produce 10:hammers: per population whipped.
Whipping a IHurryCostModifier=300 wonder will produce 7.5:hammers: per population whipped.

Whipping at 0:hammers: in a build is penalized and you generally only get 66% or 2/3rds of the hammers you would normally expect.

Production Modifiers like Forge + Factory + Coal plant only apply after the penalty from whipping at 0:hammers: and/or whipping a wonder is applied.
A city with +100% production bonus whipping a United Nations complete with 0:hammers: in the build can expect (7.5*2/3*2) = 10:hammers: per population whipped.

The Kremlin wonder has a huge effect on whipping, but it is too complicated to explain exactly how it works.
Just treat your 1pop whips like 44:hammers: (instead of 30) and your 2pop whips like 89:hammers: (instead of 60). This is for whips with more than 0:hammers: already invested.
Kremlin whipping with 0:hammers: invested is penalized to 2/3rds, and 1pop whip is 30:hammers: and 2pop whip is 60:hammers:

Projects like Internet and Apollo can't be whipped.

The kind-hearted wiki you linked made an error about whipping Globe Theatre.
It will produce 20:hammers: per population when whipping, not 22.5.

Last edited:
Good to know. I would only whip a wonder in very urgent cases or when the worked tiles are rather bad, like in the shown example.
So all National Wonders can be whipped for 20H/pop and the most relevant Great Wonders for 15H/pop.

It depends on the wonder, I believe, some are more penalized than others. Someone posted a full list at some point, but I don't recall where.
Another nice article: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/vocum-sineratio-the-whip.193659/

How many hammers do you need? Under most circumstances, that is simply a function of the number of hammers remaining in the build. There are two exceptions: a 50% production penalty if you attempt to hurry production when you have not yet invested any hammers in it, and a 50% or 100% production penalty if you are trying to rush a Wonder.

Good memories.
The 1st year I played this game, I didn't know you could move things around in the build queue.
I was so embarrassed when I finally learned.

I had not realized that slavery can be useful until I got to Immortal. I played my first Deity game with only vague understanding of whipping mechanichs, having used it before in a rather erratic manner. I was so scared to use the whip on a large scale, that I carefully planned whipping and research phases and finally learned, that slavery is exceptionally powerful tool!

Top Bottom