1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Biome

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by El Caballerion, Oct 26, 2014.

?

Favorite Biome?

1. LUSH

61 vote(s)
    38.4%
  2. ARID

51 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. FUNGAL

47 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. El Caballerion

El Caballerion Chieftain

Not sure if this has been created, but what do you all think? Since the 3 biomes are purely aesthetic, which ones do you find most intriguing/immersing to play?

For me, it's FUNGAL. It's the most unique biome, whereas the others look very similar to jungles (lush) and deserts (arid).

2. Tinker

Tinker Chieftain

I do like Fungal's aesthetic a lot, but Arid, for me, is the most easily readable gameplay-wise.

3. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

I think the lush biome is the most readable one, but I really like the atmosphere of the "arid biome": Miasma stands out, the spiral trees are really neat (tree-like yet alien) and the overall warm orange hue makes it look good yet not too earth-like. I just wish grasslands and plains were a bit easier to differentiate on it.

I love the idea behind the fungal biome, but it really could've done with some more colours. Have grey-white fungal "trees"! Have some turquoise plains! Have some dark, black oceans! Right now, it's just a sea of blue making it hard to tell things apart, which is a shame, because the idea behind it is awesome.

4. Dasta

Dasta Chieftain

Lush mostly.
    Reminds me of the Purity of Earth.

5. cakes

cakes Chieftain

arid for its atmosphere. alium wild west

6. Barathor

Barathor Chieftain

I personally love Lush, and set my maps to that in Advanced Settings.

When I first played the game, my map was on the Fungal biome, and I had some trouble distinguishing things. That, plus the purple/gray tone everywhere got old really quick. Though, now that I'm a little more familiar with the game and the look of things, I wonder if Fungal will be any easier on the eyes.

7. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Chieftain

Lush. Though I will confess to geeking out the first time I got Fungal. :)

8. Iduakil

Iduakil Chieftain

Fungal, feels to me as most alien.

9. Bezurn

Bezurn Chieftain

Fungal is fun!

10. sprang

sprang Chieftain

Yes, she is.

11. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Chieftain

So far I dig Arid quite a lot, but Lush is a close second (because it has more distinctive terrain). Fungal's color scheme is not for me (but hey - you gotta give them credit: At least they added some really alien terrain).

12. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I always set on random and I don't think I ever got lush in all my playing attempts... Maybe I should actually see it, but it sounds boring.

13. Black Whole

Black Whole Dancing Condor

My favourite biome is the arid one. I like the feeling to have landed on a desert planet: dry, dusty and full of worms ;). Although I really like the concept of the fungal biome, its colours are very cold and personally, it looks boring after a while because every tile looks the same. I hope they diversify plains, grassland etc more (why isn't there any fungus anyway?) because it is indeed the most alien world. Lush is maybe nothing new, but the tiles are different and make it easier to read the map.

14. Barathor

Barathor Chieftain

Well, judging by this microscopic sample size, it looks like the art team did a pretty nice job with the styles since they're each getting some love from players. :D

15. Monado

Monado Chieftain

I had to download some mods to help me more easily distinguish betweem plain/tundra/grassland/desert tiles on each different map type.

I voted arid because without the mods its the easiest (still more difficult than it should be) to differentiate the terrians. Also its terrible to try and notice miasma on the other two map types.

16. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

I voted lush. I would have chosen fungal, but the different areas are all too similar.

17. Xenotitan

Xenotitan Chieftain

Fungal certainly looks the most alien and sets the atmosphere, but I find all the blue to be depressing.

18. GeoModder

GeoModder Chieftain

Voted fungal.
    Not particulary for the forests though. More for the texture of the landscape. The 'dotted' outlook (if that description makes sense) of the land.

19. Lucius_

Lucius_ Chieftain

I voted arid, though I keep that setting on random as I enjoy the variety. Fungal is my least favorite. Everything is blue and for some reason they are the worst to distinguish. Tundra, plains, grassland all looks identical. Arid is slightly better and lush is probably the most distinctive. Arid though has nice atmosphere and readability.

20. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

I voted Arid, as it was the first biome that caught my eye watching the previews, and I still like it the most, with its cactus forests and all. It seems alien but not too alien, and I'm fond of hot, dry climates.

Fungal takes second place, because I do like its very alien nature. It seems the most like an alien world, but as Xenotitan said, it starts to feel a bit gloomy and depressing. Still, I can't help but imagine what kind of future society would grow amidst all that mold and fungus, and I want to try out one of the terrain mods that makes the forests bioluminescent. (Now that would be an interesting world, all dark but lit up by its fungus forests!)

Lush is probably the least interesting to me, as in the previews it seemed pretty standard and Earth-like, although I haven't actually played a game in it yet so maybe the environment is more alien that it seems...