Favorite films in the Old West?

Unforgiven. It's revisionist and traditional at the same time. Also the director and lead role being the biggest western icon helps. (He is bigger than John Wayne, accept it).

High plains drifter. As Disgustipated said, a bit sexist, but otherwise interesting and weird.

High noon. Well, I like how it's not all about gun waving.

For a few dollars more. Because of the gun waving. I'm not sure whether I still think it as my favourite of the dollar trilogy.

Honorary mentions: The Grey Fox, Once upon a time in west, Fistful of dynamite a.k.a. Duck you sucker (it's not really so good, but the first half hour is astonishing. In it's own way at least), The man who shot Liberty Valance, Stagecoach.

Just saw Seraphim Falls. One of my new favorites, though it was quite agonizing to watch. (Don't watch if you don't want to see internal organs.)

Hang 'Em High

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Don't think that is classified as a Western.
Revisionist western. Evil cavalry, heroic Native Americans. Even a disgustingly anti-social mule-skinner instead of the Andy Divine style sidekick. One of my favorite lines of all time: "Somebody back home say why don't he write?"

Revisionist western. Evil cavalry, heroic Native Americans. Even a disgustingly anti-social mule-skinner instead of the Andy Divine style sidekick. One of my favorite lines of all time: "Somebody back home say why don't he write?"

Aren't ALL western movies revisionist unless they try to be true to historical accounts?

E.g. Good the Bad and the Ugly is no less revisionist!

Aren't ALL western movies revisionist unless they try to be true to historical accounts?

E.g. Good the Bad and the Ugly is no less revisionist!
Revisionist is in reference to the mythology/archetypes. In the case of Westerns think of John Wayne / Gary Cooper as paragons of the original, heroic orientation. Or the Magnificent 7 - despite the introduction of anti-heroic elements.

Yes GB&U can be interpreted as revisionist. But - imho - it fits more into the pastiche subgenre because of its openly ironic stance & sly jokes. Even the formal features (camera work, editing, music, etc.) are both homage and satire of earlier films.

Top Bottom