1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Wonder -Modern

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Strategy & Tips' started by ArmOrAttAk, Jul 1, 2002.

?

Vote for your favorite, whatever level or settings you play.

1. Hoover Dam

70 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. Women's Suffrage

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Manhattan Project

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. United Nations

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. Apollo Program

14 vote(s)
    12.4%
  6. SETI Program

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Cure for Cancer

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. starlifter

starlifter Deity

That was the missing key... you cannot allow any face-to-face contact upon closing the city status screen. The human and not the AI must initiate the contact, which is "Enough of your useless chatter. Now begone". Then the human may approach the AI again, whilst keeping a state of war.

This is now confirmed to work in both MGE and Classic :). Thanks funxus and Andu.

Just for simpletons like me, here is a recap of the exact steps for Andu's "Emissary Ploy":

1. Possess the UN.
    2. Capture an AI city.
    3. The plundered gold comment is now onscreen (close the popup).
    4. The City Status screen pops up (close it).
    5. Immediately after closing the screen, press F3. (".... chatter. Now begone!").
    6. Now you may haev face-to-face contact with no interference.... attack, capture, or whatever you want.

This sequence of events is the same for both 2.42 and 5.4.0f (Classic and MGE).

Would you like to add it to the GOTM Techniques thread, Andu? It is an allowed technique by default.

For those that hate senate interference in a democracy, this pretty much overcomes that ;). After all these years of developing unit maneuvers to wipe out civs in one turn (or subvert the remaining cities), I'll probably continue doing it "the hard way" though!

Thanks, Andu for figuring this out!

:goodjob:

2. Crimson Sunrise

Crimson Sunrise Slaying tanks on turn 104

Manhattan Project. Hard to argue with a project that lets me build nuclear weapons. :D

3. GenShwartzCough

GenShwartzCough General of the Newbies

Starlifter could not have made the point any better. All the rest run a close second. Would be nice to have them all..LOL

4. The Person

The Person Deity +2

I chose Hoover. It's worth it for the production boost and reduced upkeep alone. And Research Labs cost as much as Hydro Plants in upkeep, so I'd rather go for production.:hammer:

5. DasMan

DasMan Chieftain

Hoover Dam is great for anti-pollution as well as production. Can't really beat it.

6. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

i do not build any city improvments except temple in wonder city i explore fast find other civs flood them with caravans and diplomats .bribe a city pullin boat disband it for best defence unit .now i have a toe hold. build a lot of cheap military lets leos upgrade them then raise tax rate to 80 per cent after a get mettleurgy and leadership this lets me bribe more citys and fight with units they can not match using this method i just finished gotm 34 in 760 a.d. good luck peace

7. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

Hoover, extra production can't be beat.

8. rrhal

rrhal Warlord

Generally someone else will build Apollo for you. Who ever voted for manhatten project must like to watch things blow up.

9. ArmOrAttAk

ArmOrAttAk Warlord

Although Hoover is best I always felt like I lost if I didn't get UN.

10. sethos

sethos no allies

1st Cure for Cancer - they are the modern Hanging Gardens.
    2nd Hoover Dam - save a lot of money for power plants.
    3rd United Nations

11. spammikone

spammikone Warlord

Apollo. Astronauts bring back phothos of earth from space... or Mars if you want (that's why i don't usually explore much, when this wonder gives all in a second). :)

Second would be United Nations. Third Hoover Dam.

12. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Hmmm two years later, I've seen both the benefits of Cfc and used Andu's UN strategy. I think that Hoover still outweighs Cfc, (but it is now more valuable to me) yet the UN has the extra power of flexability -- and Hoover is less necessary when one is rich, rich, rich.

13. temurleng

temurleng Another Dumb Message

Seti. I usually need the science more than the production. Though the zero upkeep and anti-pollution are big draws.
    I love UN, but I recently discovered a new feature I wish it had: it should allow you to force two warring parties to make immediate peace, regardless of whether either is at war with you.

14. TemporalAnomaly

TemporalAnomaly Timelord

As much fun as it is to hide behind the UN, it cann't prevent the frequent AI sneek attacks and spys work just as well on the offencive against anything but a capital.

Hoover is a nice boost but I find that I need to build so many solar plants that is offten irrelivant

If built quickly SETI is a huge savings in both capitol and maintainace costs, not to mention the fact I see it as my personal mission to get FT255.

CfC, however is the best. Not only do your new cites WLTPMD more quickly, but it pads your score nicely as it applyed after your temples passify the red hats.

15. Terrapin

Terrapin Prince

Actually, you don't 'hide behind' the UN. You use the 'Emissaries Ploy' (Good one, Andu!) to allow you to continue to stay at war in Democracy.

16. Stardimple

Stardimple Chieftain

No contest for me, the Hoover Dam is by far the best wonder at the late stage of the game. Fair enough for the arguments about the Apollo Programme but it doesn't actually matter if you or the AI build it, unless of course you are that far ahead of the other Civs that you are the only nation able to build it.

17. ArmOrAttAk

ArmOrAttAk Warlord

I like these on page one

18. Jacen_Fel

Jacen_Fel Chieftain

Hoover Dam- More power for my cities...muahahaha...hehe :).

19. biru biru

biru biru Chieftain

Voted Hoover. But United Nations is a real favorite for the options it gives to your foreign policy.

20. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

I'm going with SETI, doubles science.