Favorite Wonder -Renaissance

Vote for your favorite, whatever level or settings you play.

• Sun Tzu's War Academy

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • King Richard's Crusade

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Marco Polo's Embassy

• Michelangelo's Chapel

Votes: 55 57.3%
  • Copernicus' Observatory

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Magellan's Expedition

• Shakespeare's Theatre

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
No contest. Mike's is the best wonder of the game. Out of the others, Marco Polo and Sun Tzu are ones I'll go for every time.

Voted Magellan's. Maybe the best wonder in the game. Extra movement speed for ships is always positive.

Mike's i good too, but useless when you change at fundamentalism, which i do at every game when researched all techs.

Third would be Richard's. It's damn good wonder. One of best's definitely.

spammikone said:
Voted Magellan's. Maybe the best wonder in the game. Extra movement speed for ships is always positive.

Mike's i good too, but useless when you change at fundamentalism, which i do at every game when researched all techs.

Third would be Richard's. It's damn good wonder. One of best's definitely.

Richards is good. Makes building other pre-industrialisation wonders easier. Magellans is one that depends a bit on the map, though. If you're on a pangea, then it's not very useful. I tend to capture it late in the game myself. And fundamentalism? Urgh. I'll stay in Democracy and get future techs with scientists from whichever city or cities have Newtons and Copernicus. Pump up the luxury rate, and you still get more cash than in fundy and no happiness problems from war.

I voted for Michelangelo's Chapel since you will mostly benefit from it if :
1.You have a lot of marketplaces,banks etc.
2.Many city states in Fundy
3.We love the ____ Day every turn

OK, two years (and a lot of games) later, it is still Mikes (duh.) But unlike the other three lists, this set of seven is full of winners. Marco's is practially an ancient, and is EXTREMELY powerful for a trade heavy activity -- especially with an early jump. We've also seen it's use for early conquest -- so good that the game is almost over before Mike's becomes available.

Might be worth redoing this poll for the second favorite wonder of this batch.

For deity Copernicus' Observatory, Michelangelo's Chapel, Shakespeare's Theatre, and Marco Polo's Embassy are all essential. It's hard work to beat the AI to all those

1st: Sun Tzu's War Academy
2nd: King Richard's Crusade
3rd: Michelangelo's Chapel

All these wonders have their advantages. You choose one that will help you civ the best at that time in the game. Each game and player is different. I like STWA because my troops are better at attack and defence. So even knowing my people might get a little pissed off at least I will still have empire to conquer the world with.

Stardimple said:
I can't believe that anybody has voted anything other than Mike's here!
I can't believe that people bother to vote at all. My favorite wonder depends a lot on the map and my strategy. If I am playing OCC, I love Shakespeare; if I am not, I ignore it. On a continent Bach is extremely useful; with an Archipelago it is not...

From Ali Ardavan:
On a continent Bach is extremely useful; with an Archipelago it is not...

Actually, the rule book has it wrong... Bach's effects all your cities, not just those with which it shares a continent.

Terrapin said:
Actually, the rule book has it wrong... Bach's effects all your cities, not just those with which it shares a continent.

I spent about 4 years playing Civ 2 before I realised that one!

its all about king richard man. if u get this early on its a big hugeass advantage. it acts as a superfactory in a town/ if its in your capital its works really well. the only down side is pollution. but that why we have autoated settlers/engineers right? :goodjob:

The other downside is obsolescence: Usually the discovery of engineering takes place just as my trade and science are really taking off. If it takes me 5 turns to build KRC it will usually not be around for more than 20-30 turns. Even if it were in a size 20+ city (unlikely so early in the game) and assuming that 15 tiles had a base shield, KRC would just barely pay for itself and represents a net loss in present value terms.

Sun Tzu. Veteran units rule. There are a couple periods where you can produce Veteran units that can sweep all in their path (Crusaders, Ironclads). The Ironclads may need to win in combat to become veteran--so pick off an onshore caravan, elephant, or catapult. :)

These mismatch periods offer you an opportunity to completely eliminate opponents and significantly "change the map" over the course of very few turns. I use my veteran crusaders to capture the cities where other wonders have been built.

Mike's is really helpful too, especially on Deity. When it kicks in your production goes way up--adding 50 or more shileds per turn easily. I call it the "peace dividend" of Civ. Cities go from scraggly to healthy little growth engines.

This is a close call, as both are valuable. However, as noted, one of the benes of Mike's is stable cities after you conquer them. Sun Tzu's is the engine that allows me to conquer them in the first place. With Sun Tzu, my newly conquered cities don't need as many defenders, as the conquering unit (a vet) is usually enough to hold it.

Also--I really HATE trying to fight a civ that has Sun Tzu's and all vet units. I have to totally switch over and build zillions of diplomats, and regear my war economy for considerably more trade and cash.

Michelangelo's Chapel is a personal fav of mine... a free cathedral in every city goes a long way towards happy cities :).

Marco Polo, if you haven't met everyone, gets you the info you need, the alliances and gold that you want, maps, techs, and everything else that is available anywhere on the map. At least in the turn you build it. The next turn everyone turns hostile. But I don't think you get the benefits if you capture it; I think you need to build it.

Sorry spam again, but I gotta vote twice. again. Shakepseare is key to a good SSC, and with the number of SSC players that seem to be here, I can't believe it didn't get more votes!

If I'm playing as the English, or American's. Marco Polo's Embassy, any other civ, King Richard's Crusade.

What difference does the civ make in your choice of wonder? Marco always puts you in contact with everyone and King Richard always creates a powerful production city.

Top Bottom