Favourite UU/UB/UP in DoC

Chep

Emperor
So, what is your favourite unique unit (UU) / unique building (UB) / unique power (UP) in DoC?

My shortlist for best UU currently consists of Keshik (will probably win, I mean: 3 move, high strength AND collateral damage?), Madeireiro (Brazils workers are really cool!) and Spains Conquistadores (no tech-detour necessary, can pass any terrain, can fortify...)

UB is even harder but here it is rather due to an underwhelming selection.
The Dutch Dike springs to mind, however with their tiny core you want rather small cities so it's hard to really use it. The HRE Rathaus is pretty decent, so is the Roman Forum, but none of them really scream "cool! awesome!", but then maybe I'm forgetting something.

UP - now here we've got some cool ones again:
China, Mongolia, Japan and Arabia all have really cool powers.
When it was applied to all eras the Chinese UP would probably have won by a longshot, but now they're all much closer together.

What are your favourites? Or maybe which ones don't you like?

As I haven't played with the Keshik yet, I can't say anything about it, but right now my favorite is the Legion. Crushes everything excluding Xbows until Gunpowder, and even then it can put up a fight. The road building thing is a neat bonus.

UBs are bleh. The Spanish Citadel comes out on top IMO. CR III siege straight out of the gate is cool in my book.

UPs... hmmm. China, Japan, Arabia all have really cool powers, but I have to give this to the English. Can you say abuse?

true, I forgot about the English here.
But I really think Keshik >> Roman Legion.
They have friggin collateral damage! (so no siege weapons needed) And move faster than a tank!
Sure the Legion is pretty cool, but it is not among my first choices. The Madeireiro (or whatever it's called) gives you production AND gold when chopping, which also is awesome and the Conquistadores can cross from North to South America without needing boats and can successfully defend against all natives...7

true, I forgot about the English here.
But I really think Keshik >> Roman Legion.
They have friggin collateral damage! (so no siege weapons needed) And move faster than a tank!
Sure the Legion is pretty cool, but it is not among my first choices. The Madeireiro (or whatever it's called) gives you production AND gold when chopping, which also is awesome and the Conquistadores can cross from North to South America without needing boats and can successfully defend against all natives...7

Keshik > Legion is probably true, but I didn't really find Conqs all that useful, and I can't say anything about Madeireiros.

The Legion is the end all be all unit for Rome. Great for defending cities and the frontiers if you set it up properly, and it's an insane offensive tool paired with catapults. The Legion is more versatile, and is more powerful for its era then the Conquistador.

UU Kheshiks, Why? You can win a domination victory without astronomy, they´re fast and powerful and have a moustache.

Samurais have legends and stories , also combined with the Japanese UP with just 4 samurais and 3 siege units (sometimes more) you can conquer Korea, Indochina, Indonesia and China(before or after it respawns) or whatever place, Conquer the Great Lighthouse would be cool for Japan. But if you conquer China mongols may declare war on you.

UB If the Moai were a national wonder.. The moai + the dutch dike would be really cool.
The Ger, another good building, even more powerful kheshiks.

UP I hate the mongol UP (when I´m against them), I love it when I use it.
You can´t whip units or build anything, it slows your research(not too much), you can build a castle but.. for what? It lasts 3 turns... so you have to face 1 or two million Kheshiks with 11 power and collateral damage and your city has 0% defence. It´s easy to survive them but..
they´re a nightmare.
China UP is still good, Japan UP seems simple but it´s really good, you can get level 6 units easy
Russia UP is cool(general winter, cool, hahahhahahahhaha), it helps facing barbarians and mongols but sometimes mongols don´t spawn inside cultural borders and they don´t get damaged
I don´t like the babylonian UP, is not bad, but is boring
I would like if the Khmer could build plantations without removing jungles, and +1 food per jungle, so they´d have a natural barrier. too over.

Oh, I forgot the Prussian tanks! No match for the Keshik and not as crucial to their civs well-being as the Roman Legion or the Conquistador, imho, but still a really good unit.
While they might not seem like much at first glance, the free leadership (twice the exp) means you get loads of military stability. Also their UP is pretty nifty.

I also love the Japanese UP, unlike many other UPs it always helps you and having those "former Samurai, now Riflemen" with CR3 plus the Himeji-boni...awesome :D

Russia...well their UP is cool, yes and in RFCE the Hungarian UB which has pretty much the same effect is one of my favourites. But here? It doesn't help you against the Mongols, you have the Polish as a barrier against the Germans/Austrians and you no longer have the UHV-goal of never losing a city. So this is only useful for defensive warfare against non-Mongols...well, I prefer to attack ;)

UU: Legion. It's just too powerful in its time period. Often, the civ who flips the most legions tends to have the highest advantage as well. I love flipping Legions, because it means I have a strong army early on and I could make the best roads in the game. Flipping Legions with a large civ like Arabia is incredibly handy.

UB: Honestly don't know. I'd have to go with the Hacienda, because it acts like a second bank. Very good for the economy.

UP: Arabia. Its UP helps its UHV's and allows my cultural borders to expand quickly. England's UP is awesome as well, because it allows the English to make huge empires.

I value those in their usefulness.

UU:
Ancient era: Punjabi worker(true!),
Classical era: Legion.
Medieval era: Keshiks.
Renaissance era: Conquistador.
Industrial era: none... maybe Panzer or Berlisagre, but the game should already be settled by then.

UB:
Ancient era: Taixue - 1 more slot really helps.
Classical era: Mint.
Medieval era: Royal exchange.
Renaissance era: DIKE. It liberates our desire for river.
Industrial era: RESEARCH INSTITUTE... maybe the strongest UB in the mod.

UU:
Ancient era: Chinese.
Classical era: Greeks.
Medieval era: Mongols or English... imbalance, English got very good UU and UB too. Oh, I also like Congos. Do you know they can build cities anywhere and is unlimited by 2-tiles-away rule? You can build right next to other cities if you want. Russians and Mali is my like too.
Renaissance era: Haven't tried Latin America ones seriously. None yet.

I haven't played many civs, so I'm probably overlooking a few. Furthermore, Mongolia's UU, UB, and UP are incredibly powerful, so I won't count them.

With that out of the way:
UU
Legion: From the start of the Roman Republic until the mid-Middle Ages, it holds its own.

UB
Dike: Aside from its late appearance, it easily beats everything else.

UP
Harder to choose, but Arabia and Japan are both great, as is England. France is also amazing, and Babylonia gives a nice head start (although it's the most invaded civ, i think).

UU:
1° Keshik
2°Legion
3°Camel Archer

UB:
1°The English UU
2°Roman Forum
3°Taixue

UP:
1°Prussia
2°English
3°The Mongols

(Disclaimer - I've never really played with Mongolia or Prussia)

UU > Not sure about this. Carrack is pretty good for allowing you to settle the new world with what is effectively a caravel. I like the Cossack (especially in combination with the Russia UP), and the Samurai (in combination with the Japanese UP).

UB > Dike. You can make your cities truly unique in a way no other UB can. Research Institute is very good in late game (especially if you're after space race) - though was better when you used to get 2 scientists free (and could combine with the old Representation civic).

UP > English obviously very strong. Also Russian winter. Love being able to decimate a superior opposition army with Cossacks. Japan's also gives you a big advantage if you're playing expansively.

I want to say a different favorite UP
Vikings UP is overpowered!!!

Japanese UP. 'Your Samurai has defeated a Rifleman'
Beat that Last of the Samurai

Should probably expire.

Then how will the Swedish do?

Let's make an event: when Vikings adopt a religion or get guilds or enters the renaissance era, their UP changes, give them 3 choices:

1. Keep the power of raid: suffers -3 relations with all neighbours and -2 happiness in all cities -- not only the world considers you a villian, fit for evil players, AI gets free lv 3 Huscarls and boats if they choose this.

2. The power of Hanseatic league: some buff in your core area, fit for pacifist players, AI gets free trading posts in all cities if they choose this.

3. The power of discipline: all gunpowder units get drill I and formation, represents the Swedish army, fit for traditional imperialist players and respawned AI.

That'll be overdoing it. Many UPs expire, it's not a big deal.

A Swedish empire that collapses the Vikinga would be fitting, like the Thais can destroy the Kmehrs.

I've only played a few civs for a decent amount of time so...

1. Egypt
    • UP: Makes a smooth early game.
    • UU: Very good. Fast in desert, additional strength, immune to first strike, a excellent unit. And easily obtained.
    • UB: Cool, does not get destroyed by religion spreading. The priest slot and :culture: bonus help with UHV.
  2. India
    • UP: Kind of OK, I guess. Many other civs come with a +6:health: or such, so it's really not a "power".
    • UU: LOVE IT.
    • UB: I don't really build it. India has its UP so no.
  3. China
    • UP: A powerful one. But again it's just a research modifier and many other civs have better ones.
    • UU: Requires only Metal Casting. Additional first strike. Collateral damage. Deadly.
    • UB: One more :culture: and one more scientist slot. The latter one proves to be very useful in early game.

I've only played a few civs for a decent amount of time so...

[2]India
  • UP: Kind of OK, I guess. Many other civs come with a +6:health: or such, so it's really not a "power".
  • UU: LOVE IT.
  • UB: I don't really build it. India has its UP so no.

You still don't build the Stepwell even though you can get it with Masonry? Varanasi and Kalyani are very unhealthy.

Favorite UP: Japan or Greece. Both are absurd in the right combinations.
Favorite UU: African War Elephant. As Phoenicia, it is absurdly useful in conquering Italy and defending against barbarians.
Favorite UB: Dike. I like a Great Cothon that also works for rivers that can be built in any city.

Top Bottom