Fealty/Statecraft/Artistry Review

Frequently close; I've had a few games where I unlocked Chivalry within 1-2 turns of unlocking the policy. But I've also had low culture games where I have access to castles long before I unlocked the policy and high culture games where I've unlocked an additional policy before discovering chivalry.

Feels like it's in the right spot.

I've just have one of my toughests decisions today: which medieval policy tree to pick.

Situation, Austria going tall, no nearby city states, moderate food tiles, all the other civs are warmongers. I have my religion, but have to contest France in our continent, meanwhile Rome spreads freely in his continent. No one has fought me yet, Atila is busy with Napoleon, and Augustus is busy with Montezuma and Shaka. They do fight often.

I just couldn't see a clear winner for my policy tree. I've decided for Artistry, hoping that marriages hold my position in the world congress, not needing to really ally many city states to avoid being targeted, and that my religion can hold a little longer without Fealty buffs. Used religion to cover for lack of food (plus pacifism) and I hope the extra great people pays in the end.

What if picking that Policy simply made Castles available for construction, whether or not you have the tech for it?

You could go with a "gain a free castle in your capital" idea. This is similar to how progress gives a free worker, and then makes further workers cheaper to produce. That ensures it has a least some benefit no matter when you take it.

You could go with a "gain a free castle in your capital" idea. This is similar to how progress gives a free worker, and then makes further workers cheaper to produce. That ensures it has a least some benefit no matter when you take it.
Fealty doesn't need a buff lol.

Solution looking for a problem. :)

Well the best way to combat it is to just make sure to head to Chivalry as fast as possible, otherwise you will unlock it earlier than you tech it outside of low-culture/science games.

It would feel game-y, but if you're taking Fealty odds are you are playing a wide empire and as such it's probably advantageous to unlock that tech as early as possible anyway.

I think the castle thing should be at a different place in the tree myself. Something that is always useful should be the first node

Seriously, that policy is that good that it's totally fine if it unlocks a bit earlier than the castle (and at least for me, it is really just a bit earlier, not more than 2 techs). It's good that you can pretty much always guarantee that you have it when unlocking castles, even if not going for culture, and that's a good thing.

I love Fealty. Did you go tradition? Here's some food and production to bolster your strength and patch up your weakness. Did you go progress? Let's get those defenses up because you pissed everyone off with them upsettles, also, have some culture bro, you need it. Did you you go authority? Have some happiness and science.

I always have a hard time going Artistry or Statescraft.

Actually, I'm not sure I've ever done Statescraft at all.

I think others are right on the castles thing. I also forgot to consider the Oracle change, I was building it almost every game, it speeds up policy #8 quite a bit.I usually don't enter medieval through Chivalry, but I can see why people would.

Sounds like a great time to try it out! I like its new opener

I love Fealty. Did you go tradition? Here's some food and production to bolster your strength and patch up your weakness. Did you go progress? Let's get those defenses up because you pissed everyone off with them upsettles, also, have some culture bro, you need it. Did you you go authority? Have some happiness and science.

I always have a hard time going Artistry or Statescraft.

Statecraft is fine too. You only need 2-3 city states nearby to let the joy in.

Artistry is mostly ok, but in my opinion it synergizes too much with Tradition in comparison, still mostly for tall civs. Not as bad as Aesthetics was, though.

Top Bottom