FfH2 0.16 Bug Thread

Kael, are you sure that forests can still pop up without help from a priest of leaves or somesuch? I can't recall a forest ever cropping up in all my time playing FfH. The fact that I'm only reporting it now shows how little it's bothered me, but I just wanted to make sure that it's either intended or it's a bug.

Also this may not be an actual bug but it sure bugs me a bit that jungles can still spread automatically while forests can not (or forests have not been spreading automatically for me for a long time so I guess that was a change you guys made). Wasn't that change to the forests made so that people who started with several forests surrounding them would not be as handicapped? I think it defeats the purpose of the change if instead jungles creep in to kill the usefulness of the tile it occupies.

Here's a post I made a while back. I distinctly remember a whole bunch of players getting annoyed about how long it took to get to bronze working in order to remove forests which caused you guys to take away the spreading of forests.

Does the loyalty promotion stop them being converted? Can't remember. It might also be that they were immortal and being reborn in their capital.

Yes they still can lol

No they can't lol ;)

Code:
			<Type>FEATURE_FOREST</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_FEATURE_FOREST</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_FEATURE_FOREST_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_FEATURE_FOREST</ArtDefineTag>
			<YieldChanges>
				<iYieldChange>0</iYieldChange>
				<iYieldChange>1</iYieldChange>
				<iYieldChange>0</iYieldChange>
			</YieldChanges>
			<RiverYieldChange/>
			<HillsYieldChange/>
			<iMovement>2</iMovement>
			<iSeeThrough>1</iSeeThrough>
			<iHealthPercent>50</iHealthPercent>
			<iDefense>50</iDefense>
			<iAppearance>0</iAppearance>
			<iDisappearance>0</iDisappearance>
	--->	        [b]<iGrowth>0</iGrowth>[/b]    <---

It's 8 in vanilla btw.

Huh, I'd have sworn I'd seen a forrest pop up just yesterday.

And loyalty will indeed stop conversions. You can dispel it, though, with Chaos 2 sorcery.

Well were you playtesting Fire yesterday?

The change must have been done while you weren't looking. There is nothing in the changelog saying "forests can grow"? (I can't check of course since it's been moved back to the internal forum)

The change must have been done while you weren't looking. There is nothing in the changelog saying "forests can grow"? (I can't check of course since it's been moved back to the internal forum)

Your right, I added it without noting it in the changelog.

The problem was that instead of having it add forests I changed the XML file to add new forests. I figured that would be better for us, a new forest would spawn, then turn into a forest, etc.

But when I was going through all the plot code for hell I realized that the only plots that have a chance to spawn a new feature are those beside a tile that already has that feature (so forests will only grow beside other forests). Since their weren't other new forests out there they never auto-popped.

So for now I put it back on the forests.

Ok, the Loyalty promotion thing makes sense - I was fighting Garrim Gyr, and he had about a billion adepts in his capital city so it's entirely possible that he had cast loyalty in there. Never even thought of that.

Referring back to the Flesh Golem discussion, one simple way to balance them out would be to only allow each caster to make one Golem, much as the Treants or Kraken are now. And don't allow the caster to Graft himself, to circumvent one obvious way around that limitation...

Your right, I added it without noting it in the changelog.

The problem was that instead of having it add forests I changed the XML file to add new forests. I figured that would be better for us, a new forest would spawn, then turn into a forest, etc.

But when I was going through all the plot code for hell I realized that the only plots that have a chance to spawn a new feature are those beside a tile that already has that feature (so forests will only grow beside other forests). Since their weren't other new forests out there they never auto-popped.

So for now I put it back on the forests.

Ah, that's too bad. I was thinking that if new forests spawned instead of normal ones, and if new ones could be removed without Bronze Working, that would get around the problem of forests being a potential hassle. I suppose it's better for whole forests to spread than for none at all, though.

So no one actually has any insight into the problem I'm having, that basically makes the MOD unplayable (no interface)?

So no one actually has any insight into the problem I'm having, that basically makes the MOD unplayable (no interface)?

Do you have civ 1.61 installed?
Are you sure you installed the full mod and not the patch?
Did you rename your custumassets folder to custumassetsold?

I am experiencing some weird behaviour with hidden nationality ships (pirates and The Black Wind). When I have open borders with an AI, these ship can happily engage combat with AI city defenders, even several times each turn, without any promotions that should make them capable of it. As soon as open borders are cancelled, they can't attack. I think this issue/bug/feature has been mentioned before, but could not find a reasonable answer or explanation.

Thanks for a great mod.

Ah, that's too bad. I was thinking that if new forests spawned instead of normal ones, and if new ones could be removed without Bronze Working, that would get around the problem of forests being a potential hassle. I suppose it's better for whole forests to spread than for none at all, though.

I have noticed that Forests do not seem to grow. I have witnessed Jungles growing however. Encroaching on my lands (insert explitetive here).

Forests however, I've never seen grown - I figured it was because of the change to "new forests" growing - but I havent seen that either. Now that I know that features require previous like features for spawn - I understand why i've never seen new forests grown - but there arn't any "standard" forests growing either. Is the chance so small it never happens?

Jungles grow all the time - and are worse a production problem than forests.
I say that its the nature of doing buisness. I mean, if a tile has ANY improvements (even a road) a forest wont grow into it, right? I say that there are preventative measures that can be taken and to LET the forests grow!
-Qes

Looks like this thread has officially been demoted. (It's not a sticky anymore!)

Forests however, I've never seen grown - I figured it was because of the change to "new forests" growing - but I havent seen that either. Now that I know that features require previous like features for spawn - I understand why i've never seen new forests grown - but there arn't any "standard" forests growing either. Is the chance so small it never happens?
Per that bit of code a few posts above (suspect you might've been replying to the previous page like I did when I interjected that thing about Loyalty) they're not currently spawning at all (in 0.16) - the new forests can't grow because growth only happens when there's a like feature in an adjacent tile and new forests don't tend to be around much. It's been returned to vanilla behaviour (or close to it) for Fire. I'd imagine it's entirely possible to allow features to spawn a different kind of feature with a chunk of SDK changes and some new definitions in the python files, but whether the effort's worth it (and the bug cleaning for tiles which are bordered by multiple spawning features - although that must be present somewhere since forest and jungle are often next to the same tile in vanilla) would depend on whether the team needed or wanted any other features to spawn different ones - I can think of a few uses for it, but none of them are HUGELY exciting.

I *think* roads reduce the chance of feature spread (feature creep? :)) but don't eliminate it altogether - could be wrong though.

Per that bit of code a few posts above (suspect you might've been replying to the previous page like I did when I interjected that thing about Loyalty) they're not currently spawning at all (in 0.16) - the new forests can't grow because growth only happens when there's a like feature in an adjacent tile and new forests don't tend to be around much. It's been returned to vanilla behaviour (or close to it) for Fire. I'd imagine it's entirely possible to allow features to spawn a different kind of feature with a chunk of SDK changes and some new definitions in the python files, but whether the effort's worth it (and the bug cleaning for tiles which are bordered by multiple spawning features - although that must be present somewhere since forest and jungle are often next to the same tile in vanilla) would depend on whether the team needed or wanted any other features to spawn different ones - I can think of a few uses for it, but none of them are HUGELY exciting.

I *think* roads reduce the chance of feature spread (feature creep? :)) but don't eliminate it altogether - could be wrong though.

Ah, thank you.
-Qes

Top Bottom