FfH2 0.25 Changelog

I play all the normal mapscripts, Pangea, Inland Sea, Fractral, Highlands. The ones that come with the game. The ones I suspect may be a problem are custom mapscripts you download. They may try to place towers and bonuses or some other respirce that 0.25 doesn't have anymore and cause a crash.

The fantasy mapscript *feels* and looks right, lots of ice still in the map.

a lot of civs seem to found the Order and then switch to Leaves later even tho they have the holy city and only 1 city, this seems very strange.. like Garrim Gyr will rush order, switch to it, only have 1 city, and then convert to Leaves when it spreads to him

There's definitely an argument to avoid custom scripts while any issues in 0.25 are being isolated. Also I've found that some map scripts skew the gameplay considerably even when they do not have errors.

Consider the FfH Tectonics map script. It produces land/sea formations that I really like, but allocates resources with:

- Large clumping of resources, like 8 gold mines within a single city fat cross!
- Big swathes of grassland with e.g. 6 cow resources scattered loosely thoughout, with no other types in the area

This sort of thing leads to vastly different gameplay - like everyone fighting over the mega-city sites, or people owning 20 resources in only 2 or 3 resource types and having to trade on a huge scale to obtain the resource diversity required to develop your civilisation. These things are not necessarily errors, but the AI might not cope with such large deviations from regular gameplay and sometimes luck with starting position is a much larger factor than the more standard maps.

Overall it's good to know what you are getting into with custom scripts and generating a few maps to check out before investing 20 hours into a game is wise!

The arena is a great concept, but it's currently too dangerous. Flip a coin and get either get 1 xp or die? Not worth it. While I use it to dispose of "failed" freaks, you should probably either weigh the odds more in the favor of gaining xp, or increase the rewards for survival.

Remember that your city gets happy for every arena fight!

I play all the normal mapscripts, Pangea, Inland Sea, Fractral, Highlands. The ones that come with the game. The ones I suspect may be a problem are custom mapscripts you download. They may try to place towers and bonuses or some other respirce that 0.25 doesn't have anymore and cause a crash.

Since 0.25 has been released I've only been playing on Pangaea and the Big Small map (with the islands) I've not (knowingly) downloaded a map script. That said the crash problem seems to be 1/20 times or so, on both regular play now games and custom games, right before the intro movie, but after (or at the end of) the loading/generation.

It doesn't bother me terribly, because I can just restart Civ and it'll work another 19 times or so, but I'm not sure it comes from the map scripts, unless there is an issue with the official ones as well.

Ive started dozens of games without an issue. As well as playing with 100% unique feature placement in many games. I would suspect (though I could always be wrong) that you problem is coming from the mapscript you are running. Could you be running a mapscript that has a chance to place a resource that doesn't exist in 0.25?

I have just reinstalled Civ (patched 1.61), BtS (patched 3.13) & FfH 0.25d. Same thing happened, the game crashed right before it started, on the first huge map (25 players). I'm on XP and I never had any problems before (starting with the very early FfH I). Is there anything I can do to try isolating the problem?

On an additional note, how can I enable 100% chance for each feature? Thanks.

I have just reinstalled Civ (patched 1.61), BtS (patched 3.13) & FfH 0.25d. Same thing happened, the game crashed right before it started, on the first huge map (25 players). I'm on XP and I never had any problems before (starting with the very early FfH I). Is there anything I can do to try isolating the problem?

On an additional note, how can I enable 100% chance for each feature? Thanks.

Hmm.. I tried a 25 player pangaea match without a problem. I would tend to think that your computer may not have enough memory for all of the additional players. A few questions:

1. Do you have the problem on huge maps if you dont change the amount of players? From your earlier post it sounds like you do.

2. How much memory does your computer have?

3. What mapscript are you using?

4. Have you made any changes to the default FfH files (made the infernals or the Svartalfar playable, etc).

If you want to modify the unique resources change use notepad to modify the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file and change the IMPROVEMENT_UNIQUE_CHANCE from 35 to 125.

I have 1 GB RAM. Large maps with 25 players work just fine. From the last 6 games on huge however, (everything on default: 10 players, etc), 3 fractal & 3 pangaea, only 1 pangaea map worked while the other 5 games crashed with the "would U like to tell MS about" message. So I don't think it's the RAM, more likely some resource/script with an occurence rate below 100%. I did not modify any files nor did I install any other mods or scripts. Pretty weird, huh? I will try to disable the features (can I do this by putting 0 instead of 35?) and see how it goes. Thanks a lot for your help.

I have 1 GB RAM. Large maps with 25 players work just fine. From the last 6 games on huge however, (everything on default: 10 players, etc), 3 fractal & 3 pangaea, only 1 pangae map worked while the other 5 games crashed with the "would U like to tell MS about" message. So I don't think it's a RAM, more likely some resource/script with an occurence rate below 100%. I did not modify any files recently nor did I install any other mods or scripts. Pretty weird, huh? I will try to disable the features (can I do this by putting 0 instead of 35?) and see how it goes. Thanks a lot for your help.

Drop it to -25 (the number is modified by the map size so large and huge maps have a higher chance to have each unique feature on it).

nother thing to look at, what game options are you selecting? Are you starting the game from the "Custom Game" menu?

nother thing to look at, what game options are you selecting? Are you starting the game from the "Custom Game" menu?

Yep, "Custom Game", all on default, sometimes I change the number of players. It's not from the features. With -25 (and a few games with 0): 7 huge pangaea (1 crash, 6 ok - even with 25 players) and 4 huge fractal (4 crashes). No hard evidence yet but considering all the games I've tried so far it looks like fractal is more prone to crashing than pangaea...

During all the testing I think I noticed Kuriotates not being able to work the 3rd ring anymore. Is this a change?

Sprawling will be added back in "Shadow" but its not in 0.25.

Here is a test to try. Get a game where you load without a crash. Then save that map using the worldbuilder save (you can try a normal save too, but a worldbuilder save is closer to the map generation). Then try to reload the worldbuilder save a few times to see if it crashes.

If it crashes occasionally on the reload of your worldbuidler save then the map doesn't have anything to do with it, if it always loads that map correctly then there probably is something spawning that is causing the crash.

Remember that your city gets happy for every arena fight!

Thus the reason I use it, instead of deletion, for freak disposal. Who wouldn't want to watch a diseased midget fight in the arena? :D

I haven't gotten round to another Balseraph game lately. If it's a random 1-5 xp, that might be a lot more useful. I never checked the round-by-round fate of the freaks who survived; I just let them live after getting enough levels to balance out their flaws. In retrospect, I recall getting 2 xp once and thinking I must have miscounted. But when I actually needed it, it always seemed to give 1 xp... could be bad luck.
I'm currently going with a Ljosalfar game, and I need an inquisitor. I've got a load of lvl. 5 priests who just can't quite get grow those last few xp... in that light, the Arena is looking a lot more useful. "You will learn the skills necessary to become an inquisitor... or die trying." :whipped:

Would it be possible to add an option that allows more than 2 people in a permanent alliance like what was done in Snarko's Option Mod?

I second this. I liked all of Snarko's options, but especially this one. (although I do wish that the AI's willingness to enter a permanent alliance was modified based on the maximum number)

(of course technically the normal game does allow more than 2 people in an alliance, it just doesn't allow you to agree to any new alliances if you already have one. I have played in a 3 member alliance often enough, by building the mercurian gate after already getting one other ally. One time I even agreed to an alliance 2 or 3 turns before my ally finished the gate ;) )

Also, could the "permanent alliances" option be switched to "no allow permanent alliances?" In my current game I (Flauros) was pretty sure I could get Rohanna into an alliance, but then I realized I forgot to allow them. (of course if only we could just get the game to remember our settings, then this wouldn't matter)

Sprawling will be added back in "Shadow" but its not in 0.25.

Here is a test to try. Get a game where you load without a crash. Then save that map using the worldbuilder save (you can try a normal save too, but a worldbuilder save is closer to the map generation). Then try to reload the worldbuilder save a few times to see if it crashes.

If it crashes occasionally on the reload of your worldbuidler save then the map doesn't have anything to do with it, if it always loads that map correctly then there probably is something spawning that is causing the crash.

Huge, fractal, 20 players, no unique features (-25), all the rest on default, started well the first time. Saved from the worldbuilder then loaded again (also from the wordbuilder) and it crashed from the first time! Hmm ...

Huge, fractal, 20 players, no unique features (-25), all the rest on default, started well the first time. Saved from the worldbuilder then loaded again (also from the wordbuilder) and it crashed from the first time! Hmm ...

So its not anything about the map, you would assume that remains the same between the save and load. Im thinking you may need more memory to play the larger map sizes.

Has anyone else managed to get werewolves to generate? I tried a couple of days ago without success

So its not anything about the map, you would assume that remains the same between the save and load. Im thinking you may need more memory to play the larger map sizes.

I don't know what to say anymore. After installing patch e, I started like 15-20 games on huge (fractal, 25 players), looking for a nice map to be generated, and not a single game crashed. I didn't even restart the computer since the last crashes so ... anyway, I'm back on track now playing the greatest Civ mod. :) Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom