Final Earth Map

I've fixed the bug. I'll ost a new version of CPT in the CPT threads. It would fail to place any civs that had a higher number in the CPF-file then the number of civs included. (I had swaped a variable)

Originally posted by Gramphos
I've fixed the bug. I'll ost a new version of CPT in the CPT threads. It would fail to place any civs that had a higher number in the CPF-file then the number of civs included. (I had swaped a variable)

Well I refuse to go up Another version number :crazyeyes

attached below is version 1.17b which has the new version of CPT

Same comments apply as what I wrote for version 1.17

V1.17b 252Kb
See top of the thread

Upgrade only version for those with slow modems - 79KB

Attachments

• 117b-upgrade.zip
    79.2 KB · Views: 247
Cool i am glad i was actually useful in fixing a bug :).... also i am making a mod loader for civ3 that is user friendly and a whole mod is in 1 file which u can make with my program i am making. (i am using vb6 and i am ok in it i am using this as a chance to polish up my programming skills........ughh i hope to be a computer programmer one day to hehe.):lol:

Originally posted by snake_3017
Cool i am glad i was actually useful in fixing a bug :).... also i am making a mod loader for civ3 that is user friendly and a whole mod is in 1 file which u can make with my program i am making. (i am using vb6 and i am ok in it i am using this as a chance to polish up my programming skills........ughh i hope to be a computer programmer one day to hehe.):lol:

Actually there is something similar inside this package..

After installing all the files the computer is directed to run a series of files, basically it looks at all the ini files in the directory \modpacks\common\updates and then susses out which parts are the most recent and what languages are available (different mod's that I make may have similar units etc so the version numbers ensure that the most up-to-date is used). Then (if there is more than one language available) you are asked to pick your language preference after which it installs the extra data into your civilopedia text files, notice I said into this mod does not replace any firaxis files, it add's to them, which mean that if somebody has already edited there copy I wont be wiping out there changes And! people can still run normal earth / random maps.

The next project I'm working on won't be europe after all, looking thru the forums I was hoping that somebody would have become the clear favourite for a europe map, but so far none of the maps have anywhere near the support that marlas worlds map had when I first got involved, so instead i'm looking at a pet project that's been burning in my mind and i'm hoping to turn Jason Morrison's N. America map into a Colonization type Scenario, note I said Scenario, yes there are no proper tools but I have a few idea's tucked up my sleeve.

Anyone interested in helping out should pop along to here in a day or so, where hopefully I'll have a couple of interesting ideas to kick around

Vonotar

Thats cool but i was just going to get some programming experiance while making something for the community.(Ex. I know theres a thousand C&C clones but I want to make one someday to get experiance on ideas... since most programming techniques are learned through experiance and not a book) One question: Do you or some else know how to put data into a middle of a file and not just the ending(my only thing holding me back from making the program) :confused: :D

I've put 1.17b version on top of the thread since it's definitly an easier installation and people generally enjoyed changes in rules.

Sorry if I don't come often in here... it's my exam period, I have to study !!

By the way Vonotar, I haven't understood the story of 1.17b upgrade, please send me a mail to explain what is that. :)

bye everyone !

Easy question.

Any one have any idea on how to get this map working on a Mac installation of the game?

If so, I'd appreciate any info...

Originally posted by Aramanthes
Easy question.
Oooh goody, I like easy questions
Any one have any idea on how to get this map working on a Mac installation of the game?
If so, I'd appreciate any info...
That's an interesting question... now where's the easy one that you promised :lol:

OK, I've assumed that the MAC version is laid out in the same way as the Windows version, download the attachment below and read the Worldmap.txt file for instructions. As far as I know there is no utility for changing the civ's start positions that is MAC compatible, so you may have to resort to the old "reload until your in the right position, and hope some of the AI are too" method!

You'll have to do some editing of files yourself, instructions are in the Worldmap.txt file

Attachments

• nonwindows.zip
    144.3 KB · Views: 152
Originally posted by Vonotar
That's an interesting question... now where's the easy one that you promised :lol:
Maybe I should've said an easy question followed by an interesting question...

I assumed that Does any one know...? was the easy part.

The How? was the interesting part...

OK, I've assumed that the MAC version is laid out in the same way as the Windows version, download the attachment below and read the Worldmap.txt file for instructions.

You'll have to do some editing of files yourself, instructions are in the Worldmap.txt file [/B]
Yeah...Everything that I've seen so far looks like it's laid out the same...

I guess the next question is... Do the Windows editing tools that people have come up with detail the file formats used?

Thanks for the info!

i dont know if any one has made mention of this yet, but.. shouldnt there be some sort of Tobacco Luxury Resource? If not for the regular game it certainly would make sense to have it for a world map. It was very significant in the European colonizations of North America. And i know the Native Americans made good use of it prior to that.

I dont know if its possible to add another luxury.. probably would disrupt everything to replace an existing resource with Tobacco. but i think its something to consider, if you can add luxuries that is :)

Really neat map..played it..a bit.
I'm on mac and downloaded the nonwindows.zip version..I installed it, and everything went fine. I started a new game, and played a long while, but sadly, then the problems started appearing.
Everytime I try to load a game saved from the scenario, the game crashes,other saves work just fine, and I have tested this extensively.
I really hope there's something you could do to fix this..because it is a lovely map.
:(

Originally posted by r3b3l
Really neat map..played it..a bit.
I'm on mac and downloaded the nonwindows.zip version..I installed it, and everything went fine. I started a new game, and played a long while, but sadly, then the problems started appearing.
Everytime I try to load a game saved from the scenario, the game crashes,other saves work just fine, and I have tested this extensively.
I really hope there's something you could do to fix this..because it is a lovely map.
:(
I honestly don't have a clue, I don't have access to either a mac or the mac version of the game, so it's difficult for me to speculate as to the cause of the crashes you are experiencing
You could try sending your saved game to me and I'll see if it works at this end, other than that I can't say.
Sorry!

Originally posted by Qilue on Apolyton's Marla World Map thread
I don't mean to be negative here, but there's a minor problem relating to realism.
Iroquois will not be able to build their UU and will probably be able to build knights by the time they do get a source of horses.
Vonotar; Can I assume you consider this a non-issue?
Firaxis's own civilopedia entry for the mounted warrior says that horses were only introduced to america in the 17th century. The fact that they picked the mounted warrior as the iroquios UU again proves that they never intended us to play on maps that were accurate or that had correct starting positions.

This issue has been boiling along for a while now, so lets try to resolve it. Do we.....

A - Give the Iroquois a horse resource on the site of there capital city

B - Change the Iroquois UU to something that doesn't require horses

C - Change the Iroquois altogether into either the Inca's or the Tupi (both south american) relieving the pressure of three Civ's in N. America

Cast your votes and reasons now folks, I'll tally the results 00:00 GMT Tuesday 29th

The plains are a great place to raise horses. Since you can not develop resources in the game it would be a mistake to remove all horses from the America's.

The NW of the US is some of the worlds finest wine country but you didn't include it since it was not wine country until introduced by the spanish in the 17th century. I will point out that france had no wine production until introduced in about 600BC by Rome.

When you develope the tech for Horse riding shouldn't there have to be a source of horses some place? We either need to have horses in N america or do not require horses for the UU. The Iraquoise just steal all the horses they need.

BTW the first major oil producing region in the world was Pennsylvania. The oil ran out but that is where John D Rockefeller founded the Standard Oil Company.

Gameplay must not be forsaken for accuracy! Sure, north america had no horses, etc, but FUN is the final factor for deciding placement. After all, rubber was found nowhere else on the planet until it was smuggled out of the amazon basin. However, if all the rubber resources are there, one or two civs will rule the modern era by an accident of geography (or plan, as the human player would know to settler there...)

So yes, try to be accurate, but don't spoil even gameplay. I have 1.13 and it works well except for the Iroquois horse issue.

When I changed the rules with my adaption of marlas map I approached the Iroquois mounted unit like this:

1. Horses died out in N.America around 8000 B.C
2. Thus no horses in New World till the Old World cometh over, which I hope ain't too soon.
3. The Iroquois will be keen like many of the real indian tribes to trade for horses.
4. By making the mounted warrior a stronger unit it is a counter for the "crippled" Iroquois I am running versus the European etc invaders!

Essentially I'd prefer the strategic resource system to be more detailed...I'd love that you had 4 types of strategic resource:

1. Deposit that supplies one city
2. Deposit that supplies several cities
3. Deposits that are discovered later in time with advances in tech.
4. Resources that spread with trade...e.g horses, silk etc!

From a simply utilitarian POV, having a source of horses in North America allows you to patrol northern Canada for barbarians a bit more easily.

At the moment, I control most of North and South America, and noone else has shown up from Africa/Europe/Asia/etc.

I destroyed the other civs that started near me early in the game. At the moment, I don't have any military units that have a movement > 1, and it takes a long time to build all those roads.

Top Bottom