Final Earth Map

Hmm, I can only download and unusable 'attachement'.

Any advice?

Rename the attachment to attachment.zip it works...

And Marla, I might be a little nasty but france is having THE ULTIMATE BEST starting position, which is kinda unfair. I know that you are French, but... France has 3 wineyards, other countries have none or one? hmpf. French wines may be the most famous ones but definitely not the best or only one... and Northern europe (benelux, germany) has a buch of resources for food when we all know that the fertility of those lands are questionable.
South africa has no diamonds?
Canada has one oil?
Iraq has ZERO oil? It holds half of the natural reserves of oil in the world.
Japan can build iron works? lmao. Japan ha NO natural resources. That's why they joined the WW2 in the first place. They have almost zero strategic resources.
Caucasus has no oil? yay

EDIT: I know it's hard to make a playable map of earth, but the resource layout is the point, isn't it? To re-play history. Why english went all over the world but for resources? etc.

Thanks for the help B.

Also, good idea for changes I think...

It says in the 'info box' for this map (the C3C version by Plexus) that it has custom 'base rules'. What rules have been changed (if any)? I've just got Conquests, so I'm probably missing something obvious.

:sad:

Available for anybody who's interested in a DYP an adaptation of Marla's 1.29f map CivIII vanilla DYP 1.01r, its soup! It has the following civs placed: Rome, Egypt, Greece, Babylon, Germany, Russia, China, Japan, France, India, Persia, Aztec, Zulu, Iroquios, England, Ethiopia, Inca, Mali, Polynesia, Sioux, Tibet. The Americans exist as a civilization in the rules, although they're without starting position. Despite any intention of ever using the Americans in any epic scenario, they remain merely as a placeholder; removing them proved to really mess things up in a big way with respect to all other civilizations (so I had to add them back in). As such, despite Tibet being a valid civilization in the rules, it is NOT selectable as a civilization in CivIII vanilla.

This mod has had extensive research invested in placement of resources. Resource allocation at first glance might appear overwhelming, but the fact of the matter is that only the top resource locations were placed. None of the original appearance ratios of Kal-El's map were adjusted. Let me just say this, I believe that initial placement is a great deal higher than equilibrium i.e. when a resource is used up, until the total number of resources globally falls below the threshold another one won't pop up anywhere in the world.

I've replaced saltpeter with sulphur. Sulphur is found wherever volcanic activity has been recorded (or found) globally. Sulphur takes the place of saltpeter. The tech tree has been slightly altered to accomodate this requirement, but essentially sulphur is the equivalent of saltpeter.

Another thing I've done is make corn, coffee, sugar, tea, rice, sheep & horses to be resources that will not become apparent until contact is made with the historical and archeologically verified civilization of origin. I've quite frankly not been actually able to test this aspect of my mod's. Nevertheless, I point this out so as you understand that what might seem initially as mere nuances are actually the tips of very great icebergs. It is my hope that the ability afforded by the placement of a total of 31 civs with the civIII Conquests game-engine will facilitate the spread of knowlege across the globe as I initially conceived. That notwithstanding, should my idea not prove pragmatic, then there's a major flaw in CivIII's concept, as horses, sheep, coffee, sugar, rice and tea won't work very well either.

All the foregoing notwithstanding, the rules can be easily changed. If nothing else, it is my hope that perhaps, if nothing else, this map can serve as a guide for resource placement for modders who have a desire to make a CivIII Conquests realism scenario (and perhaps even on an immense map e.g. 360x360). Who said, "I'm not a giant, I merely stand on the shoulders of those who came before me." In any case, I hope this map/mod/scenario is either enjoyable, or will prove useful to your modding intentions.

It should be no great suprise (to anybody who's followed what I've written thus far) concerning my claim this mod will not be supported and as such is a final (ergo the 1.0f release number). This mod is available to any and all who wish to devote the labor of love in pursuit of a greater sense of fidelity. It is requested that you merely acknowlege who's shoulders that you are standing on. Enjoy!

P.S. With the Lord willing, another such "food for thought" mod could become available prior to New Year's 2005. It is my anticipation to use Tet's 362x362 map, and implement any DYP Rise & Rule scenario that might manifest itself, in conjunction to a greater understanding of just what capabilities CivIII Conquests has. To be quite frank, I stress the "could" very strongly, as I have no idea how intense this upcoming semester in hermeneutics will prove to be; this spring semester in apologetics was quite daunting. Errrr, I'm almost certain spring semester will be homiletics.

Attachments

• DYP_vMarla_129_custom.zip
    107.5 KB · Views: 662
I belive Marla is one of the best map makers, if not the best, just look at this map, it is impresive.

ii change it to zip, extract it, throw it in my scenarios, open game, goto senarios, try to load the map but it says file is corrupt?

Awsome Map, I updated the rules start locations and a few more things hope you dont mind Marla
Name of my edited map:
Edited World Map

marla why wrent u at the testical cancer group last thursday ?

lol
sounds awesome gonna test the maps right away :D

After i downloaded it, i started my game and loaded the map was allready selecting my civ. Started. BAMMM:momentarely the game was shutted down gone completely and WHY :( i wonder. Is this a common problem with the users. Because i dont know. Try to fix it if u can!?
Okay ;)

By the way im using Civ3v1.29f.
If u wanna know

wow!

Must be a record - for the longest time before bumping a thread - 18 months.

As for your comment - it is unlikely to be changed after such a long time - even if true, as Marla has been away from the forum for ages.

Now that this thread has been bumped, please could someone direct me to where I can download the definitive version of Marla's World Map for Conquests. It would save me looking through 20 pages of posts to find it. Thanks.

Read the post above. There's a Civ3 version available. Just click on the link.

The game says verson 3.08 is no longer compatible when I try to load the map. What is wrong, and what can I do?

Top Bottom