Final Fantasy

What is your fravorite Final Fantasy Game?

• Total voters
It's not that I dislike leveling up and combat. It's that I dislike having to hack away at large hordes of weenies that are all the game will throw at me, because none of my character have multi-target attacks that do not use up MP at a fearsome rate.

Hence why I liked FF VI - as soon as you get Edgar, you have someone who can hit every enemy at once without a MP cost. Sabin and Cyan, not to mention Gau, all develop abilities like that early in the course of the game too. (And they do it all without any two-minutes-long animation ala summons).

well, did you know that 7 was voted the greatest game of all time?
take that to the bank and cash it!:p :p :p

Did you know that the game "Happy Feet" sold almost two million copies this holiday season?
Did you know that the movie "Norbit" was the top grossing movie in America a couple weekends ago?
I really shouldn't need to say it, but just because something is popular in no way means that it's good.

Final Fantasy 7: good game, but not the best in the series, and far from the best RPG I've ever played. It was fun for one play through, but the game was much too linear for my tastes, and the story line just got way too weird with all the flashbacks and such. Unfortunately it has legions of rabid fanboys (most of whom missed out on the entire 8-bit and 16-bit RPG era), which Square continues to cater to through endless cameos (Kingdom Hearts, anyone?) and mindless drivel (Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus). Will the pimping out of this franchise ever cease?

Of course, I'm sure someone with the username "Sephiroth" is completely unbiased on the matter... :lol:

FF7 FTW! b3st game 3VAR!

Did you know that the game "Happy Feet" sold almost two million copies this holiday season?
Did you know that the movie "Norbit" was the top grossing movie in America a couple weekends ago?
I really shouldn't need to say it, but just because something is popular in no way means that it's good.

Final Fantasy 7: good game, but not the best in the series, and far from the best RPG I've ever played. It was fun for one play through, but the game was much too linear for my tastes, and the story line just got way too weird with all the flashbacks and such. Unfortunately it has legions of rabid fanboys (most of whom missed out on the entire 8-bit and 16-bit RPG era), which Square continues to cater to through endless cameos (Kingdom Hearts, anyone?) and mindless drivel (Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus). Will the pimping out of this franchise ever cease?

Of course, I'm sure someone with the username "Sephiroth" is completely unbiased on the matter... :lol:

Thats actually true. I really liked 7 tough but i've only played trough it once, i hardly ever play trough a game more times. But i also really liked FFX and in all FF threads i have to defend it from people who say its crap. ANd they always say that 7 was so much better and all that, why does every game have to be compared to FFVII, a game that wasnt really that much better then the other FF games.

But i have played FFIII on Snes tough (the one with Edgar and his super cool crosbow,i think" and i'm also old enough to have played both 1&2 on NES....ALltough i prefer to play them at the GBA because on NES theyre just so damn hard :(

But i have played FFIII on Snes tough (the one with Edgar and his super cool crosbow,i think" and i'm also old enough to have played both 1&2 on NES....ALltough i prefer to play them at the GBA because on NES theyre just so damn hard :(

Final Fantasy 2 on the NES? Unless you had a Famicom import, that seems unlikely! ;) (Although maybe Square brought that game to Europe; I just don't know.) You're probably thinking of FF2/4 for the SNES though.

The original Final Fantasy would be a very challenging game by today's standards (with its one-hit kill cheese monsters, extremely high random encounter rate, and so on) but it was merely average in difficulty at the time it came out. Does anyone remember the old Ultima games? Some of those were nearly impossible to beat! I miss the days where RPGs weren't just a showcase for cinematic sequences, and you had to know what you were doing in building characters - or you would very quickly die an untimely death!

I should be clear that I don't dislike Final Fantasy 7 - I think it's a good game. I had a lot of fun the first time I played through it. But the game's reputation is enormously inflated by fanboys, to a VERY irritating degree. It's definitely not the best game in the series either (I liked FF1 and FF3/6 more, personally - both have tons more replay value and are much more non-linear). I bet a lot of people who scream about FF7's greatness probably haven't even played it, or haven't played it in many years. It really has NOT held up that well with time; I think a lot of the SNES Square RPGs have held up better. Sprites graphics were at least clean, not like the "super-deformed" characters from FF7:

There's a reason why you almost never see screenshots from the original game anymore (only CGI stuff from more recent cameos/movies). What looked good in 1996 doesn't hold up too well today. :D

Abbadon said:
FF7 FTW! b3st game 3VAR!

You are joking right? I didn't realize this had turned into the gamefaqs message board...

I'm fully aware that games where much tougher to beat before, nowadays if a game is to hard your gonna get unsatisfied customers and 14 year olds crying on message boards.

Ive even seen game reviews where the rewiever gives the game a lower grade because its "to hard" and dosnt have an easy setting. Your supposed to die a few times when playing a game IMO.

Heres my deal, lets name a fesw thigns of shall we, the beatles, rolling stones and gonewith the wind, what are all these things? Overated, thats not to say that theyre not great, but all the fanboydom has blown them way out of proportion. The same has happened to seven, it was a very very good game, but the fanboys have blown it up to much to where its annoying. As for me, the first final fantasy I played was final fantasy one, and I played the subsequent american releases afterwards. The ones that stand out are definately six, tactics, seven and ten. My favorite being tactics.

One of my main gripes though is how people rag on eight, I thought it was just as good as say, nine and yet peeople bag it just becuase it wasnt as grand as seven, pisses me off. As for twelve, well, Im thrity hours into it, and its definately quality, at least an 8.5 out of ten, but I just havnt quite "gotten into it" yet, the Story is just way to plain, its wel done with great dialougue, but just not very interesting.

As for old hard assed games, did anyone here play and of the bards tale games or Dragon wars?Hard assed games man, I remember in the bards tale you couldnt even stand still without getting into fights. Those andmy favorite game of all time, wasteland. Please tell me someone in here played wasteland?

Looky what I have here... It's only been released today for pre-orders, commercial release is tommorow :D

Actualy, speaking of twelve, I just got to the place after the Phon coast(I saved and then quit) and Im on 20:00 hours, how far do I have to go?

Just a note to you guys before you start your new game of FFXII. Theres some chests you SHOULD NOT EVER OPEN, if you want one of the best weapons in the game.
DO NOT OPEN THESE CHESTS EVER!:

1. The chest outside of old dalans place in rabanastre lowtown.
2. The chests in the area before you climb the stairs when you first enter the palace. You can open the chests in the sewers though.
3. The 3 chests in the place where you get back your equipment after being jailed.

You can now get the zodiac spear later in the game in the necrohol of nabudis IF YOU DIDNT OPEN THESE CHESTS!

4. Also, if you didnt go to the necrohol yet and quickly grabbed the spear and ran out, dont open the 16 chests lined up on the far east of the phon coast. You can open them safely after you get the chests though.

Actualy, speaking of twelve, I just got to the place after the Phon coast(I saved and then quit) and Im on 20:00 hours, how far do I have to go?

Only 20 hours, you clearly rushed through. How is that enjoyable? You must not of done any side quests or leveled that much.

Only 20 hours, you clearly rushed through. How is that enjoyable? You must not of done any side quests or leveled that much.

Yes, thats it, Ive been not having fun for twenty hours.....

Now are you actually going to answer my question or do you have some more life advice youd like to share?

Yes, thats it, Ive been not having fun for twenty hours.....

Now are you actually going to answer my question or do you have some more life advice youd like to share?

It was just my opinion, and for a game as deep as final fantasy XII, you seemed to have rushed it to that point.

Yes i got it today too :D Only gotten in a good hour tough, but next week is winter hollidays!

Did you read post 93? I implore you to do so. I doubt they changed this in the european version.

It was just my opinion, and for a game as deep as final fantasy XII, you seemed to have rushed it to that point.

Salrite, I hail from the early days of RPGS so all this stuff is cake for me, Luckily becuase of some earlier posts, I didnt open the chests so I can still get the spear. But one other thing, what the hell does dark matter do, I used it on a boss once when I got it but it only did like 500 damage?

-_- Lucky, i'm at about 3:30 hours and only up to the waterways in Rabanastre. Stupid Thextera.

Top Bottom