1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Verdict: We want our stack back and other great cIV features!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by NobleJms, Sep 30, 2010.

?

Vote for which feature you'd like to see back in Civ V!

1. Stack (no more 1UPT): much easier to move armies around.

76 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Local happiness instead of the shallow global happiness.

117 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Multiple units for each strategic resource: makes more sense historically

36 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. The old slider system: makes for more dynamic gameplay.

92 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. No more purchasing units with gold.

19 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Religion: what makes cIV the best in the series!

169 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. cIV's great graphics: current graphics in ciV is a joke.

30 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. The old map grid: hexes does NOT make CiV look deep!

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. Something else

103 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. Nothing, i like Civ5 how it is :).

490 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. Styg

Styg Chieftain

OP, your thread failed. Rename "we" to " I ".

2. oscogmo

oscogmo Chieftain

Best Civ game yet no contest

3. xcrissxcrossx

xcrissxcrossx Prince

I voted graphics. Everything gameplay wise is great but I can't stand the rivers. They are an eyesore.

4. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

I consider you a troll for making a very biased poll - leaving out the option for people to say that they like it - and then have the audacity to state a 'Final Verdict' as if you have the answer.

Then to have the mods add the last option - AND for it to be the majority...

That last option that was added in by the mods actually makes this thread worthwhile. It's a pitty the title hasn't been changed to something more appropriate (ie, neutral). It would probably draw more people into the thread who like the game then.

5. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I think 1UPT can be relaxed for either AI only or both human and AI to improve performance.

Perhaps even allow 2 UPT 1 ranged, 1 melee. But overall, I think the shift away from SOD is a good thing.

6. Myzer

Myzer Chieftain

The only feature I really want back is the summary replay and other stats stuff at the end of the game.

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Warlord

If u want the old system back, go back to civ4, no-one forces you to play civ5.

8. WuphonsReach

WuphonsReach Prince

The change to strategic resources was long overdue - it's a great concept where each strategic node gives different amounts of benefit and additional nodes give additional benefit. I wish they had done the same with the luxury nodes. That being said, the current implementation of what happens when you have a resource node destroyed or taken away, is not well designed.

9. turboraton

turboraton Chieftain

Man, I love this forum sometimes. Troll just got trolled.

10. TheElder

TheElder Chieftain

This poll really is a clear evidence that only 44% of us likes Civ V the way it is right now, and the rest of us really can't call ourselves being satisfied with the game....

11. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Poll is biased, so many choices, some of which don't even have anything to do with 1UPT. The fact the choice in favour of 1UPT , which also not surprising was the last choice, got so many votes is a rebuke of the pollster's own position.

There was another poll with similar results and that one only had 2 choices, so the camp in favor of 1UPT won by a decisive majority.

Honestly though, none of this matters, it's only a sampling of people who cared to vote. Emotions are running high for some. And of all the problems with Civ5, 1UPT isn't one of them. The community by and large has accept it as a neat innovation.

12. NobleJms

NobleJms Chieftain

Perhaps I was wrong, but people need to admit that Civ VI BTS is a much better game than Civ V atm.

13. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

It's a different game. I can't really say which game's best in the long run, but for now V has me more excited than BtS. And that's an unpatched game against a severely patched game with two expansion packs, remember.

14. goatofdeath

goatofdeath Chieftain

Stacks SUCKED in my opinion. Early wars felt tactical when resources were limited and you couldn't afford large stacks. Mid and later game wars just felt like a grind with stacks. It had nothing to do with tactics and everything to do with who could produce how many units faster. In addition individual unit promotions felt close to worthless in a 20 some deep unit stack. Of the things I liked about Civ IV stacks are the one thing I hate with a passion.

That being said, I do find 1upt limiting.

The funny thing is, they had this nailed in Civ I & II. Let them stack but if one in the stack fails everyone in the space dies. Was it gamey and unrealistic? Yes. However, a good game designer knows when to favor gameplay over realism. Allowing stacks but at great risk meant you would spread out for a good battle and tactics came into play but you had the freedom to risk stacking when needed.

The one thing I do miss is religion. I enjoyed founding them, and I enjoyed building missionaries to spread my chosen religion around to try to convert other civs. It felt like I was engaged in a war of beliefs with the other civs, which from a historical and even current cultural perspective I appreciated.

15. SillyGoat

SillyGoat Warlord

But road spam was such a horribly broken mechanic in earlier versions of Civ, it just had to be fixed.

END ROAD SPAM NOW!!!!

(but put back ROP rape, GPT deal abuse, opaque diplomacy and ICS because they are all well balanced features of the series)

16. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

One thing in particular I find odd about Civ5 is the exclusion of religion. I don't see why they did it, given it was a popular addition to Civ4, and given that it is perfectly fitting (if not seemingly essential) in a civilization game.

17. Charvel1

Charvel1 Chieftain

No, it's not.

18. PAnz3r

PAnz3r Chieftain

i voted religion, i really like the influence on diplomacy that religion had in Civ IV, unfurtunatly they didn't mantain it in this V :| ; if they can fix the silly rush at discover (perhaps with a random spawning of the religion holy city) we can have a great add on to realism and fun......Unfortunatly, they dismiss it

19. R0gue

R0gue Noble

Its becomming laughable now that ppl are saying there is not enough stuff in civ 5 with compare to the other civs.

Here is a rundown of your issues.

Vanilla Civ IV

Civilization IV comes to life - Beautiful 3D world with dozens of fully animated units (including culturally unique units), and totally customisable armies. Cities and wonders will appear on the map. Wonder movies are back!
    Faster-paced fun - Gameplay has been streamlined for a tighter, faster and more compelling experience with an easier to use real-time strategy style interface.
    Multiplayer - LAN, Internet, PBEM and Persistent Turn-Based Server (PTBS) offer players all-new strategies and ways to play when competing or cooperating with live opponents.
    Team Play - Whether playing multiplayer or single player, team play offers a new way of setting locked alliances that result in shared wonder effects, visibility, unit trading and shared territory that delivers a plethora of new strategic and tactical options.
    Mods and Community Tools - Designed from the ground up for modability, the game contains a powerful map editor with XML and Python support.
    In-Game Movies - Civilization IV will have over 70 in-game movies.

Warlords

Warlords: A new great person type called the Warlord.
    Vassal States: Conquer an enemy and subjugate them to your rule.
    Game Scenarios: The expansion will deliver six scenarios.
    New Civilisations: The pack will provide 6 new civilisations and associated unique units.
    Civilisation Leaders: Ten new leaders will be provided - the list will include leaders for the new civilisations as well as additional leaders for existing civilisations.
    Leader Traits: Two new leader traits.
    New Wonders: There will be three new wonders.
    Unique Buildings: Each civilisation will have a new unique building as well as their unique unit.
    New Units, Resources, and Improvements: Many new items will be presented throughout the scenarios.
    Core Game Tweaks and Additions: Expanded features and gameplay tweaks will be made to the core game.
    Post-Release Patches and Game Upgrades: The pack will contain all of the patches and game additions (pit boss, etc.) yet released for Sid Meier's Civilization IV.

BTS

More Civilization Than Ever: Some call Civilization the deepest computer game of all time. With a massive increase of 10 civilisations, 64 buildings, 12 scenarios, 5 wonders, 6 technologies, corporations, brand new espionage system and expanded trade routes, Civilization is beyond deep. It is beyond anything you've ever seen.
    Focus on the "Late-Game": With Firaxis focused on delivering many new units, buildings and technologies in the modern time period, you will be able to launch guided missiles and suitcase nukes and build armies of mech assault soldiers, Cyborgs and Navy Seals - among many other choices.
    Scenarios - Expect The Unexpected: Beyond The Sword will deliver 12 new scenarios, many containing themes never seen in Civilization, custom designed by the team at Firaxis and some members of the Civilization fan community.
    Advanced Starts: For the first time ever, launch a game by purchasing units, cities, improvements, and technologies that allow you to get into later era games more quickly.
    Unstoppable Corporations: If you didn't feel like behemoth corporations were taking over the world, you will now. Found your own corporation and spread its influence as another tool to gain control over the world.

BTW this is fact. Alot of the CIVS/Building/Resources/Espionage/Corporations were added with the expansions. All I can say is, if you are not happy with the vanilla CIV V. DO NOT play it. Stop moaning and move on to another game.

20. aziantuntija

aziantuntija Prince

:lol: Its so funny that kuukkeli doesnt understand this poll. :lol:

Most people doesnt want to change any of those things from civ5, if Firaxis would just change one of those things from this poll, lets say "No more purchasing units with gold." -option then 85,12% wouldnt be too happy about it. So the best choice is to not to do ANY of those changes.

Get it?

Propably not. :lol: