Finally found-the cause of the disappearance of sound

@bolesting@

Chieftain
After more than 1000 h spent in this game I finally found the cause of the disappearance of sound! And guess what? Its not huge maps, its large amount of civs in game. I have opened several tickets to 2K but they are not interested to find cause of this bug (I send them my save file and always get answer that my save is fine). Im not using any mod, but I edit files my self and change size of maps and size of civs.
If I use 18 or less civs I never get sound issue (music and sound effects gone), If I use more than 18 civs I always get sound bug, more civs you use sooner you get bug.
Firaxis will never fix this bug but I wanted to share this information with you because I know there are many people who complaint about this bug.

Best Regards

I've had this issue on Standard size maps with only 8 civs in the game. Interestingly, I didn't have it my last game where I played. expanded Earth mod on large Earth TSL map with around 20 civs in the game. More civs doesn't seem to be the cause for me. I

After more than 1000 h spent in this game I finally found the cause of the disappearance of sound! And guess what? Its not huge maps, its large amount of civs in game. I have opened several tickets to 2K but they are not interested to find cause of this bug (I send them my save file and always get answer that my save is fine). Im not using any mod, but I edit files my self and change size of maps and size of civs.
If I use 18 or less civs I never get sound issue (music and sound effects gone), If I use more than 18 civs I always get sound bug, more civs you use sooner you get bug.
Firaxis will never fix this bug but I wanted to share this information with you because I know there are many people who complaint about this bug.

Best Regards

So why do I get it with less than 18 Civs?

I cant tell you about standard map because smallest map I played is 120x120 and smallest civ number is 18. This is my conclusion after more than 1000 h in game.

So why do I get it with less than 18 Civs?
Are we talking about same bug? After few turns music and sound effects disappear, reload game return sound for few more turns?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about your specific bug, but they do work on the one reported for larger maps (which I haven't been able to reproduce myself, maybe because I don't have R&F)

https://twitter.com/therealian/status/982287789642231808

Its definately an rnf thing.

I have 19 civs on enormous terra, no issues yet with sound. GE, I get the bug. Starting a game as I text this with 18 civs GE (including mine). See what happens.

But I'm pretty sure I don't get the bug using the standard ruleset. With many more civs.

edit: awesome news Ged! Now I'm tempted to hold off a Russian GE start. Shoot. Hmmm. Cree is quite fun.

I had a game with 30 Civs and 30 CS on Giant Earth and it had sound until turn 100 or a bit longer. After sound vanished, I eliminated about a dozen civs but the sound did not come back. I wonder if the sound bug is caused by too many cities, too many units or too much data for the stored history?
Maybe I should load the game and delete everything except for a single city for each Civ / CS in the game, save and reload to see if sound comes back.

Is this fix coming with spring 2018 update or its out with last update? Because I still have sound bug, I tried 160x120 with 25 civ and bug occur on start, I tried 20 civ on 120x120 bug occur after couple of turns and I start 18 civ on 120x120 still no bug around 50 turns.

The bug is not fixed for me so far.
Sound and Music may play in the beginning but somewhere after turn 100 they will stop.
When I load a savegame, the Music will play one piece of Music and then stop.

I used to have a sound bug where there used to be this continuous engine running sound, it was quite annoying. Only happened when over AI lands, not my own lands. And only in the late game when AI's got to industrial age or possibly it was a later age. I'm wondering if this sound bug is related. I'm sure it's not intended. While we were in later times, listening to an engine running sound all the time is very unpleasant, and I'm sure that wasn't intended. I'll play some more of my Dutch game today, we'll see if I get the bug again. I didn't seem to get the bug last game as the Cree on large Earth TSL map (Expanded Earth mod), I'm running the same map type this game.

update: No sound bug me this game. So that's 2 games in a row without it. Granted I didn't play the game for about a month due to health issues (I've since had to alter my desk and no longer use a chair to hopefully alleviate those problems along with moderating time played), but I was pretty sure that small patch they put out after R&F didn't fix it. So this makes me think it is the mods I'm running that inadvertently fixed it? Hard to be certain. I'm running Loyal Capitals, Religion Expanded, and TSL Earth Remastered (Rise and Fall). Both games using the Rise and Fall large Earth TSL scenario. Only way to test it for sure would be to run a regular game.

14 civs, 180x94 YAEMP's Earth map, sound disappear after about 20 turns. Another game, 14 civs, 104x64 Greatest Earth map, anything went fine. Seems to be a map size problem to me.

I always play small numbers of civs on Ludicrous maps, but I get no sound as soon as I hit the start button after the game loads.

On standard maps, never an issue.

update: No sound bug me this game. So that's 2 games in a row without it. Granted I didn't play the game for about a month due to health issues (I've since had to alter my desk and no longer use a chair to hopefully alleviate those problems along with moderating time played), but I was pretty sure that small patch they put out after R&F didn't fix it. So this makes me think it is the mods I'm running that inadvertently fixed it? Hard to be certain. I'm running Loyal Capitals, Religion Expanded, and TSL Earth Remastered (Rise and Fall). Both games using the Rise and Fall large Earth TSL scenario. Only way to test it for sure would be to run a regular game.

Glad to hear you're doing better Disgustipated! Better enough to play some Civ again :)

Top Bottom