Firaxis Livestream tomorrow! Gorgo leads Greece

What i ll keep from that LPs is that the AI should provide a challenge in higher difficulties. That warrior spam from rome was tough and their positionning wasnt terrible. Also, seeing the ai attack with scouts is a testimony of them being agressive. Which is good.

But if this was emperor unit spam, deity might be ridiculous

What i ll keep from that LPs is that the AI should provide a challenge in higher difficulties. That warrior spam from rome was tough and their positionning wasnt terrible. Also, seeing the ai attack with scouts is a testimony of them being agressive. Which is good.

I'm mostly curious if it's because it started with a second city but the actual bonuses aren't that crazy (meaning they start rough, but play honest and can't do things like spam a unit each turn) or if they also have crazy multipliers on yields.

What i ll keep from that LPs is that the AI should provide a challenge in higher difficulties. That warrior spam from rome was tough and their positionning wasnt terrible.
But easily countered if they had gone mass archer with a screen of warriors rather than phalanx (which are absolutely the worst non-ranged unit to send into that warrior spam, and would have been even worse had there been legion spam). Melee gets a bonus against anti-cav.

They played really badly. Units arrived piecemeal, they fought under the city walls (and archers) and attacked into rough terrain and across rivers rather than dealing with the enemy army in the open ground to the west. And of course they kept their adjacency bonus from coming into play by keeping their units apart. They seriously did everything wrong.... which doesn't show off the emperor difficulty at all (which was the point according to Ed in the last 2 minutes)

And doubled down on that by doing the stream wrong. If they wanted to show anything off, they should have set up the game on turn 25, and then started streaming. The first 50 minutes of a 60 minute stream were a complete waste of time, and displayed nothing. And the next 50 minutes (if the game had continued) wouldn't have shown off anything not shown in dozens of youtube videos and streams, so they could have focused on what the AI was doing.

Also, seeing the ai attack with scouts is a testimony of them being agressive. Which is good.
No, that was bad. It suggests too many scouts, and not doing what the should be doing- exploring and getting goodie huts for bonuses and eurekas/inspirations. Scouts hovering around the cities to fight when there is a cloud of warriors is just a waste.

It's all ridiculous, because its spam all the way down, rather than a challenge. They're unwilling to learn anything or make real changes in this area despite this being a constant problem with the civ games (and BE).

Which is sad, because a lot of the other aspects of the game are better. I'm not sure why the most ubiquitous part of the game gets the most neglect.

Last edited:
But easily countered if they had gone mass archer with a screen of warriors rather than phalanx (which are absolutely the worst non-ranged unit to send into that warrior spam, and would have been even worse had there been legion spam).

Archers seem to be a pain to use, now

but anyway

in a game speed where both player and AI can make a new army in the same time it takes to move the first one into place, conquest is a waste of hammers, the obvious best tactic is to ignore everything except infrastructure until the world is roaded up, and not to try to display combat in a livestream at all

But easily countered if they had gone mass archer with a screen of warriors rather than phalanx (which are absolutely the worst non-ranged unit to send into that warrior spam, and would have been even worse had there been legion spam). Melee gets a bonus against anti-cav.

They played really badly. Units arrived piecemeal, they fought under the city walls (and archers) and attacked into rough terrain and across rivers rather than dealing with the enemy army in the open ground to the west. And of course they kept their adjacency bonus from coming into play by keeping their units apart. They seriously did everything wrong.... which doesn't show off the emperor difficulty at all (which was the point according to Ed in the last 2 minutes)

And doubled down on that by doing the stream wrong. If they wanted to show anything off, they should have set up the game on turn 25, and then started streaming. The first 50 minutes of a 60 minute stream were a complete waste of time, and displayed nothing. And the next 50 minutes (if the game had continued) wouldn't have shown off anything not shown in dozens of youtube videos and streams, so they could have focused on what the AI was doing.

No, that was bad. It suggests too many scouts, and not doing what the should be doing- exploring and getting goodie huts for bonuses and eurekas/inspirations. Scouts hovering around the cities to fight when there is a cloud of warriors is just a waste.

It's all ridiculous, because its spam all the way down, rather than a challenge. They're unwilling to learn anything or make real changes in this area despite this being a constant problem with the civ games (and BE).

Which is sad, because a lot of the other aspects of the game are better. I'm not sure why the most ubiquitous part of the game gets the most neglect.

All good points, but did you expect anything different ?

CiV deity was nothing more than mass unit spam, and crazy runaway civ through bonuses. And it was a challenge.

All good points, but did you expect anything different ?

CiV deity was nothing more than mass unit spam, and crazy runaway civ through bonuses. And it was a challenge.

I don't think mass unit spam had anything to do with his point, he was referring to the poor play of the developers. It's hard to really judge what will be a challenge when the stream's conquest was executed in such an ineffectual manner.

I don't think mass unit spam had anything to do with his point, he was referring to the poor play of the developers. It's hard to really judge what will be a challenge when the stream's conquest was executed in such an ineffectual manner.

Yeah devs usually play poorly that s true. Though i had completely forget that hoplites had a malus vs non mounted units. This is actually a really bad point for that UU.

But yeah their positionning was terrible.

Yeah devs usually play poorly that s true. Though i had completely forget that hoplites had a malus vs non mounted units. This is actually a really bad point for that UU.

But yeah their positionning was terrible.
They dont have a malus, warrior-types have a bonus. :D What of course has totally nothing to do with the dominance of pikemen over swordsmen in civ 5, I'm sure. :crazyeye:

Hoplites aren't really bad against warriors. It is 35 Vs 30 strength when hoplites are adjacent to each other & it gets better when they get their 1st promotion which gives another 10 strength boost against melee units.

Top Bottom