[GS] Firaxis, thank you for Eleanor

@Victoria , thanks for the offer, I'm running several mods which might gunk up the save.
I reloaded a few turns before the win, and just hit Shift-Enter to force the turn end 2x. Sure enough the Victory hit - very strange, not really sure what happened to void the win previously.

I’m slowly picking my way through my first Frelanor game on Emperor and had Kupe show up early and squeeze me into five mountain based cities on a continent with Cyrus, Zulu and Canada.

I wanted to play nice, so I put the weapons away, save for a few defensive wars. While it took a bit longer than I would have liked thanks to only having the five cities, the culture flipping has started and damn if it isn’t amazing. I’ve got most of Kupe now, a good chunk of Cyrus and started on Canada. The Zulu are the other direction but I somehow have grievences against him (go figure!) so I’m using the defensive army a little more aggressively until the grievences are even then I’ll move some art that way too

Thanks to all who gave tips in here! I’ve got four spies humming along and picked up a religion mainly for helping with loyalty but enhanced with Jesuit Education and a well promoted Moksha to quickly move art to new cities.

Definitely having more mid/later game fun than I have in a while.

One crazy thing I haven't seen mentioned here is rock band with the loyalty promotion (card to pick promotion). Combine this with every spy bonus and you can just walk up to civs and consider your spies and rock bands as ways to conquer cities. It took a very long time to get prepped but domination in this fashion could easily happen faster than culture victory if the map is Pangea with enemies that aren't going to cock block you.

In my current game with Eleanor, Mexico City flipped to me. I was Suzerain. Is this a bug, or something I’m not aware of with city states? I thought they were always immune to loyalty pressure. I have Geneva practically surrounded with great works and no flipping, as I would expect.

In my current game with Eleanor, Mexico City flipped to me. I was Suzerain. Is this a bug, or something I’m not aware of with city states? I thought they were always immune to loyalty pressure. I have Geneva practically surrounded with great works and no flipping, as I would expect.

It's always been possible, just very difficult. Eleanor has the power to do it more readily than any other civ.

I just spent almost 400 turns trying to flip my way to a domination victory with Freleanor. King difficulty, regular size Pangea map. All victories turned off except domination and score.

I flipped Australia organically with her bonuses and placing great works but it took forever. Meanwhile I had flipped a few Tomyris cities along the way. Once rock bands and choose your promotion hit I spammed those. That led to a mass flipping of Tomyris, Genghis and Tamar. But it used up a lot of faith bc those rock bands really hate to perform more than once. Also that promotion is completely overpowered. I must have flipped 20 cities but I messed up the timing on the golden age and left myself needing a ridiculous amount of points for the information Golden age. Dark age didn’t do me any favors.

I was producing 1,200 faith per turn at this point but rock bands were approaching 4,000 faith a piece and I’d need 20-35 more. I managed to get enough to flip a few Canada cities including their capital. Realized it would take an eternity to flip all the remaining cities so I just lined up the remaining capitals of Poland and Maori. Sadly Maori was too far away and it flipped to a free city. Had to use a GDR to take it bc I was exhausted with this game.

Domination victory with 8 civs and only 1 city conquered and zero wars declared. It was fun. I am sure with a better capital only strategy you could do it without having to take a single city by force.

I thought they were always immune to loyalty pressure.
Free cities get +10 loyalty which means normally they will flip unless on a sparsely populated island.
City states get +20 and that matches the max pop pressure you can give... if the CS is 10 pop in size you need 30 modified pop of pressure to equal which is a fair amount but not that impossible. It has been adding enough ‘other’ pressure that makes it hard and to get them to flip without Eleanor need starvation & unhappiness.
Eleanor additional pressure is in the other box rather than the pop pressure box so yes, not as hard as all that.

Top Bottom