First barracks?

tdy99

Prince
When do you typically build a barracks? I often do this as my first build after worker while the city is growing to size 3 or 4. Have a feeling there are probably better ways to do this though. I just don't like building units that don't get the barracks promotion.

hmmm...best answer I can give you is it's very situational. Not sure if you just mean your cap at the start or any city. Do you intend to rush early or not? For the cap at the start, it's generally better to get out a few warriors while you grow to spawnbust future cities and handle barbs. However, if I'm AGG or Shaka, I might consider building the barracks first since it's so cheap, then units.

However, there's some cases in which I might not build barracks at all. Egypt is a good example. I'd rather get WC out the gate faster if I'm going for early rushes. WC's are strong enough as is. (I might whip or chop a barracks later after growing some)

Now in new cities in a more peaceful game, barracks might be fine placeholders while you grow if there is nothing else to build or that is pressing. You can always set it up later for a 2 pop whip with nice OF into the subsequent unit.

Similar to Lymond's answer.
My cap rarely sees one early.

Typically, my first 4-5 warriors gain enough xp from animals & barbs, that a barracks isn't needed.
Remember, there is a 5xp max from animals, 10xp max from barbs.
So, if you rush your barracks for the 3xp, then this leaves you only 2xp to gain, before it becomes pointless for that unit to be put at risk of being lost. You'd have to rotate the experienced one back to city defense and get another fresh one out there.

It becomes really pointless when using 'Raging Barbarians'. When, the barbs start to appear less frequently, then I'll build it. I can't argue with free xp. ;)

When you plan to start a war! Or expect one, in any case.

Say, for instance I use Cyrus to rush Immortals... Barracks is definately going in my capital, and maybe in my second city if I can afford it... I play marathon, and if I do not try to sneak in a wonder (stonehendge for the prophet, to take the religious capital) I will almost always put one in.

If I am isolated or otherwise peaceful I may not put one in until axemen or spearmen swing around, if then. Barracks are a waste unless you plan to mass-produce units.

When theres a war or when a city has to make units with promotions

Lately I've started building a warrior or two in my first city rather than switching to barracks immediately after worker. However, I still have this strong urge to have a barracks built before I start building archers or axes, since they can get actual useful promotions from it. A CG archer is a big improvement over an unpromoted archer, and guerrilla archer is a lot more secure spawn buster sitting on a hill.

I usually play on emperor level and because the AI's have so many advantages, my main strategy is usually to build about 7 cities and 14 workers as soon as posible... sometimes even skipping defending warriors.

My economy goes so low that I run out of things to build. Then and only then i build barracks, and even palaces (not completing them of course).

As soon as I get the alphabet, I build libraries/research, get my economy back on track with cottages, and get the technology for a viable unit mix for mass conquering.

I've won countless games using this strat, specially on large maps. Of course, everything changes if there are warmongers in the neighborhood.

I'm all for an early barracks...but geez, OF COURSE you should build a warrior or two first. That early scouting is farm more valuable than an early barracks. A barracks can be useful for your first actual military units, like archers, who are going to defend your cities. The CG promotion will make them much more effective. However, the early warriors don't really need promotions, you just need them to scout ASAP. Scouting can make or break a game.

Let your city grow on barracks, switch to a settler when the hammers from forest chops comes in.

usually i built barracks when i want to promote a unit to go to war. that way i can give them the city attack promotion in order to be more effective (when attacking a city).

Top Bottom