1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Look: Scythia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Sansa_Stark, Aug 9, 2016.

1. MAHRana

MAHRana Prince

Yeah what i was trying to say, im hoping for it with the Mongols, they did something different with Venice in Civ V but hopefully they go hardcore for the Mongols:crazyeye:

2. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

I also noticed part of the animation is not as fluid as in previous leaders, and I think it is both due to there are some glitches to polish in the animation, and that they have given Tamrys a more martial stance than other leaders, so some of her movements are more brusque. When se switches to "peaceful mode", we se soft movements (altough maybe not as bombastic as in other leaders, too).

3. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Sounds good to me. Genghis is one of my most reliable BFFs*

* until he starts getting his Keshik on with my city states :cry:

4. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

5. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

6. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Regarding Scythia's unit spam: The standard horsemen will be online fast, this is true. But their numbers will be limited by the availability of horses just as for all other civs.
    The Saka horse archers won't be limited in the same way, but I am wondering about their upgrade path. Will they have one at all? If they are a dead end, the Scythians will have a huge unit advantage early in the game that will not translate into the next aera.

I am not saying that the UU is useless at all, as early advantages tend to snowball. But maybe the ability to produce two units at once is more balanced than it seems at the first look.

7. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Yes, it's great point. Most logically it upgrades to Knights, but in any case Horses are their limit. So, the Scythians are still mostly early-game power.

Also, we don't know how promotions are carried from ranged to melee units on upgrade - it was a huge issue in Civ5. Well, we don't know how promotions are carried on upgrade even within the same unit class, to be honest.

8. nunor

nunor King

I don't know if anyone mentioned it already, but finally a decent background picture.

9. TeraHammer

TeraHammer Prince

I worry for multiplayer balance, in particular with Scythia.

There is so much focus on nation's unique traits that it gives era bound specific imba bonusses.

Scythia looks like a powerhouse early, but if you start a renaissance game, she completely falls off. With a warmongering late-civ it will be the opposite.

I miss civ4 where traits were effective in any era, making you play fine with random civs on any map. Now (maybe since civ5) civ bonusses appear to be way more era-bound. I fear, depending on the multiplayer settings, games to see the same civs all the time, or banning imba civs for the applicable era.

10. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

And thus being totally boring. You have to sacrifice balance on weird setups if you want to make interesting and unique civs.

11. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

Scythia can still squirt out faith super easy. Also bonus against wounded & healing per turn. Civ4 traits can fly a kite.

12. Xen

Xen Magister

Yeah, I think Skythia is going to rock.

13. Nightsong

Nightsong Warlord

I'm personally planning on playing Scythia as an early warmonger with the goal of pumping out faith while warring with neighbors to prevent them from getting faith going. Then later down the road try for a religious victory through the religious combat system that Civ VI is looking to include. If all else fails I can always fall back on the warmongering path and just nuke my enemies.

14. masda_gib

masda_gib Warlord

I am wondering how horse resources will be handled with Scythias unique trait of getting two units when building one.
    Horsemen cost 2 horse afaik. When scythia builds a horseman does it require:
    1) 2 horses to build but then uses 4 when the unit is there (possibly getting missing resource malus),
    2) 2 horses to build and use only 2 horses for 2 units (so one unit is resource free),
    3) 4 horses to build and use 4 horses while the units are there?

If 3) then scythia can't buil a horseman if they have say 3 horses. 8)

15. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Most logical solution will be for each Horseman to eat 1 Horse. If you have only one Horse available, the Twin isn't born.

But of course we don't have the info yet.

16. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

While it may be correct to say that the Scythians weren't 100% nomadic, and practiced agriculture and formed settlements to some degree, I don't think this statistic about the sale of grain is evidence for that. We only know this because of a remark in a speech of Demosthenes, and he merely says that Athens imports the grain from "the Bosporus"--an area where Greeks (who influenced and were influenced by Scythians) had long lived. There's no reason to think Demosthenes was talking about the Scythians.

17. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Scythians built cities. We know about Scythian Neapolis, for example, it was quite large.

18. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

Yes, in areas where they were living around, heavily influenced by, and quite possibly intermingling with Greeks (note e.g. the Greek architecture within the site you mention)

19. DCParry

DCParry Chieftain

As for the pronunciation question asked earlier, Scythia, like most words first attested in Greek, actually comes into English through Latin (which is evidenced by the common use of the c as opposed to k). The differences in pronunciation (Skythia vs. Sithya)is due to British vs. English conventions. British conventions almost always treat c in Latinate terms as soft, so we say Caesar and not Kaesar (although all c's in Latin were actually hard). For the most part this makes not a lot of difference because American English follows a lot of the traditional pronunciations, but deviates (a Brit says Sipio, which a Yank says Scipio).

So, that is why you sometimes get the soft c and the hard c in Scythia. Either is correct enough.

20. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

In renaissance Scythia is still going to have bonus damage and auto healing for armies, being automatically better on the battlefield, plus religious advantage.