First Look: Scythia

No Rome, eh? Happy to be wrong, though. :D

Scythia looks pretty cool. Sure to be super annoying to play against. :p

I wonder what the justification for not allowing Kurgans being built on hills, however?

I wonder what the justification for not allowing Kurgans being built on hills, however?

I'm not entirely sure. I wonder if it's to highlight their nomadic/steppe lifestyle? Per Wikipedia it looks like Kurgans are artificial mound tombs, which doesn't seem like it would rule out hills...but I believe historically most artificial mound tombs were built on relatively flat land.

Spoiler :
A kurgan (Russian: курга́н) is a tumulus, a type of burial mound or barrow, heaped over a burial chamber, often of wood.[1] The Russian noun, which is already attested in Old East Slavic, is borrowed from an unidentified Turkic language,[2] compare Modern Turkish kurğan, which means "fortress". They are mounds of earth and stones raised over a grave or graves. Associated with its use in Soviet archaeology, the word is now widely used for tumuli in the context of Eastern European and Central Asian archaeology.

Pre-Scythian-Saka-Sibirian kurgans (Bronze Age)
In the Bronze Age, kurgans were built with stone reinforcements. Some of them are believed to be Scythian burials with built-up soil, and embankments reinforced with stone (Olhovsky, 1991).

Pre-Scythian-Saka-Sibirian kurgans were surface kurgans. Underground wooden or stone tombs were constructed on the surface or underground and then covered with a kurgan. The kurgans of Bronze culture across Europe and Asia were similar to housing; the methods of house construction were applied to the construction of the tombs.[9] Kurgan Ak-su - Aüly (12th–11th centuries BC) with a tomb covered by a pyramidal timber roof under a kurgan has space surrounded by double walls serving as a bypass corridor. This design has analogies with Begazy, Sanguyr, Begasar, and Dandybay kurgans.[9] These building traditions survived into the early Middle Ages, to the 8th-10th centuries AD.

The Bronze Pre-Scythian-Saka-Sibirian culture developed in close similarity with the cultures of Yenisei, Altai, Kazakhstan, southern, and southeast Amur regions. In the 2nd millennium BC appeared so-called "kurgans-maidans". On a prepared platform were installed earthen images of a swan, a turtle, a snake, or other image, with and without burials. Similar structures have been found in Ukraine, India and South America.[citation needed]

Some kurgans had facing or tiling. One tomb in Ukraine has 29 large limestone slabs set on end in a circle underground. They were decorated with carved geometrical ornamentation of rhombuses, triangles, crosses, and on one slab, figures of people. Another example has an earthen kurgan under a wooden cone of thick logs topped by an ornamented cornice up to 2 m in height.

Scythian-Saka-Sibirian kurgans (Early Iron Age)

The Scythian-Saka-Sibirian kurgans in the Early Iron Age are notable for their grandiose mounds throughout the Eurasian continent. The base diameters of the kurgans reach 500 m (1,600 ft) in Siberia (Great Salbyk kurgan (53°54′10″N 90°45′47″E[11][12]) of the settled Tagar culture); in neighboring China they reach 5,000 m (16,000 ft)[citation needed] (kurgan of the first emperor of China in the 3rd century BC near Sian) (Mason, 1997: 71). Kurgans could be extremely tall: the Great Salbyk kurgan is 22–27 m (72–89 ft)[citation needed] (the height of a 7-story building); the kurgan of the Chinese emperor is over 100 m (330 ft). The presence of such structures in Siberia testifies to a high standard of living and a developed construction culture of the nomads.

what is 'light cavalry'? just horsemen? is there going to be trouble transferring promotions to upgrades? i don't want no trouble

They neither need horse back riding or archery because somehow Scythians learned how to use a bow from a horse thousands of years before they learnt to use it on foot and do not even ask how they learnt to ride a horse without knowing how to ride a horse. I guess the horse learned how to let humans ride on it before humans learned how to ride the horse;)

"Joe, guess what?"

"Yeah, Barry?"

"Frank died! Horse trampled him."

"That's horrible! We should do something to honor his legacy. Maybe put him under a pile of rocks or something."

"Great idea! Let's put him on that rise over there so that he can have a great view of the world from what I'm going to call 'the afterlife.'"

"Hmm, well . . . let's just do it here. Way easier. I mean, I didn't like him THAT much."

Seems like the Scythians will synergize reeeeeeaaaaaallllllly well with these social policies:
Maneuver (Military Tradition): +100% Production toward Ancient and Classical era heavy and light cavalry units.
Conscription: Unit maintenance reduced by 1 Gold per turn, per unit.

:eek:

Well, i guess i found my first civ for my first game. Was thinking of the aztecs before this disclosure but this early spam of cavalry and horse archers will just be too good to not use it asap. Also, it will prevent having to be on the other hand of that stick, because obviously i would spawn right next to her if i pick any other civ

I bet you can't build Kurgans on hills because of balance. That would be like 1F2P2F2G or so for a Kurgan on a hill by a pasture.

We usually don't get leader agendas as part of a First Look video, that's interesting they included it this time.

As extra info did you know that the Greek myths of Amazon warrior came from fighting against the Scythians because female fought together with their husbands and man...
in greece they didnt.

great female leader

Also is it "Sithia" or "Skithia?" I've always heard the latter.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (I have the full version on my computer) the standard English pronunciation is "sithia". The only variation is in the pronunciation of the "th" sound, the more common version presently being that used in the video, but previously it was more usual to pronounce it as you would hear in "The Revenge of the Sith". However, the word is of Greek derivation, and the Greek pronunciation would appear to be "skythia". Choose whether you want to speak English or Greek. Preferably not both at the same time ...

It is light cavalry who are shown then explaining the attack and heal ability, they use spears. Later in the video you can see the horse archers.

Top Bottom