1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Look: Scythia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Sansa_Stark, Aug 9, 2016.

1. evanaurora

evanaurora Warlord

Hm, I do really wonder about the lighting, because in the art she looks much more distinctly non-European than in the video.

I'd hope they'd fix that, broadly, because my impression of the leaders we've seen so far is "pale," but I have almost zero technical know-how, so maybe it's not even possible?

2. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I am surprised that Tomyris looks so choppy in her animation compared to the other leaders. Am I the only one that thinks her movements look incredibly unnatural and not smooth at all?

Also, I'm surprised no Scythian culture bonus made it in. Scythians were known for their gold metalwork and other such fineries as well as their nomadic lifestyle. Currently their bonuses align to be a Mongol-ish civ, with some faith on the side.

But the inclusion of Tomyris and the Scythians is an excellent choice, and one (IIRC) that was requested by Civ V fans. :)

3. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

You never heard of her famous fight against cyrus? here you go :
    http://www.rejectedprincesses.com/princesses/tomyris

4. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

She is like ghenghis khan in civ 5. If you actually stay friendlly with ghenghis he will NOT BACKSTAB YOU he has a high loyalty rating.

However if you cross his path he will dow or if he decides your land is his youre screwed by forward settling him or starting next to him.

never had problems with khan most loyal leader in civ 5 however likes to warmonger result everyone hates him especially if he kills city states

5. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I don't mind the inclusion of the Scythians--an interesting people, though we don't have a lot of good information about them. But I find it curious that, just like Civ V's Huns, other than some early conquering advantages the Scythians are going to play just like a normal, settled civ. The Scythians, obviously, were nomads who never built cities. Here's Herodotus talking about that:

In Civ VI, the Scythians are going to build cities and districts and so forth exactly like everyone else, just with a sprinkling of extra horse units. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe any attempt to capture their nomadic lifestyle in gameplay would just be incompatible with Civ. But I'm surprised the developers didn't try to make that work, with some sort of mechanic that let them move cities around and live off the land, or something like that. That could have been very interesting.

6. Haig

Haig Deity

Haig's Official Strategy Guide of defending against Tomyris:

1. Tech forts, start building them.
    2. Position spearmen into forts (bonus against cavalry), forget warriors and archers
    3. Build Ancient walls in every city

7. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Yeah, I agree. I'm excited they're in the game, but I hoped that Firaxis would've made them more unique with some kind of nomad mechanic. Here's hoping they do introduce a nomad mechanic when the Mongols are added and that the Scythians are retroactively altered towards it.

8. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

Depends on where you look. As pointed above Ossetian has half a million of speakers. Also there are radio and TV broadcasts in Ossetian and a few theaters that put up plays in it. But considering how the screwed up Chuvash, another minority language from Russia that was used in role of the Hunnic language in the previous game that's not a guarantee that they will do it right. But let's hope for the better. :)

9. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

First thing that came to mind was the ability to re-arrange districts. That'd be awesome, but possibly a little too niche.

10. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Alternatively, if you are playing China, build and put units on that Great Wall between you and Scythia ASAP.

11. Grumpbeard

Grumpbeard Warlord

Do spearmen still have bonus against cavalry in Civ VI? I thought someone said they didn't, but can't recall where I saw that.

12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

4. Get attacked by someone else first. :lol:

13. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Pretty sure forts don't come online until the renaissance, so everyone but china is pretty much doomed. :thumbsup:

14. Guama

Guama Chieftain

In my first game, I'll pick some random civ and Schythia and will piss her off as a hell. I'll let her erase my civ just to see if she say that she´ll "quench my thirst for blood" when defeat me. That would be cool!

15. isau

isau Deity

I was noticing that too. Hope it's temporary while they move toward a final build. Compared to Cleo, Vicky, and Cathy she looks kind of robotic. But maybe they just haven't "rounded off" the animations yet (is that thing)?

16. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Who likes surprise wars though? Or she just dislikes them even more.

17. BornInTheLoo

BornInTheLoo Warlord

Scythia looks quite the menace. Very happy with this, although I was expecting some jewellery related bonus (special mint/forge replacement or the likes) and not a faith bonus.

18. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

well, the mechanics are different. Surprise Wars give you warmonger points. Hidden Agenda's are determined independently from that, meaning that Tomyris will hate your guts EVEN if the warmonger penalty for the war itself is low.

Who the war is declared on and at what time is irrelevant. Get a casus belli or face her wrath.

I quite like New Civs being introduced and I felt like Scythia was so out there . (I'm surprised it took them 6 games to finally get one of Scythia/Parthia in the game). I don't see how Scythia and Mongolia are mutually exclusive? The Huns and Mongolia were both in Civ 5 and were quite a bit different.

19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

A player that declares a surprise war essentially incurs a double warmonger penalty with her.

20. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

The Scythians did have some cities and settlements. The fact that they exported 63,000 tons of grain per year to Athens in the 5th century BC indicates that they were somewhat settled. They weren't strictly nomadic.