First Look: Scythia

Justified Wars themselves must be unlocked. All wars are surprise wars until that point. So you must goad your rival into attacking you or face Tomyris' wrath in the early game.

I think even at mid game Scythia can be a war machine, you loose the advantage in numbers of the early game, but by the mid game you should be able to get a lot of faith, gold and religion going. Schytia could really benefit from "holy warriors" style religion to keep on pumping units, that coupled with the heal on kill should keep Scythia on track with the rest of the civs.

Haig's Official Strategy Guide of defending against Tomyris:

1. Tech forts, start building them.
2. Position spearmen into forts (bonus against cavalry), forget warriors and archers
3. Build Ancient walls in every city

Or, more simply:

Stay off of the plains, when Scythia's around
Or the Saka will stomp you right into the ground.

She should have been dressed as a queen, not a warrior.
Spoiler :

That image is from the same book that the devs got the current design for a Scythian warrior.

-Disappointed we didn't get the Mongols in the base game instead, but they got to save big historic names for dlc/expansions I guess.

I guess they wanted to go for the "warrior queen" look. I'm pleasantly surprised the Scythians were added to the game. They were a fascinating people. I actually prefer them being in the game instead of the Huns.

Justified Wars themselves must be unlocked. All wars are surprise wars until that point. So you must goad your rival into attacking you or face Tomyris' wrath in the early game.

Not quite, formal wars can be declared with just a denouncement (from either side) while casus belli requires a renaissance civic.

I am so hyped for this civ I have no words to express it.
The fact that you will have a mixture of different horse units will make for a completely type of hit and run warfare that will make nerds rage.

I agree. Certainly my inner nerd is gonna have a field day with them. As you may be able to tell from my avatar, I love to run over people in the early game.

Scythia's bonus toward wounded units and healing for killing units lasts all game so they're going to be tough to fight at any stage.

Though that synergizes ridiculously well with a UU that is ranged and can wound enemy units before battles even start.

New strategy: create a border incident with some civ who gets angry enough to attack you, angering the Scythians. Let them pummel each other while you gather strenght..

Coincidentally a bit of Scythia news came by me today. It felt appropriate here and I wanted to share.

Trade! Kurgans! War! Religion! Tradition! Drugs!

http://www.archaeology.org/issues/220-1607/features/4560-rites-of-the-scythians

That's cool. One thing I like about Firaxis choosing new civs is that it's fun to learn about the accomplishments of civs I don't know about already. I don't think Civ should contain just the 19 most powerful civilizations in history, I'm completely fine with them having slightly more obscure civs too. The Scythians sound pretty cool, and I'm excited for them.

Playing Sythia itself sounds quite fun, this civ will be hyperaggressive early, getting huge armies and declaring war on civs that are still having trouble with barbarians. Without the city strike, its going to be really hard to defend against this rush, we're going to need to be either prepared to bribe them, get them mad at a different civilization, or go strong military at the start of the game if they start near us.

Moderator Action: As a reminder, Mongols (and any civ other than Scythia unless it relates directly to this video) is off limits on this thread. If you wish to discuss if the Mongols will be in the game or not, please use the Ideas & Suggestions forum. If you wish to discuss anything else about the Mongols, please do so in the History forum.
Three posts deleted.

I am wondering how horse resources will be handled with Scythias unique trait of getting two units when building one.
Horsemen cost 2 horse afaik. When scythia builds a horseman does it require:
1) 2 horses to build but then uses 4 when the unit is there (possibly getting missing resource malus),
2) 2 horses to build and use only 2 horses for 2 units (so one unit is resource free),
3) 4 horses to build and use 4 horses while the units are there?

If 3) then scythia can't buil a horseman if they have say 3 horses. 8)

I'm not sure what the issue is. The "make 1, get 2" ability only works for the Saka Horse Archer and the Light Cavalry (neither of which require horse resources), not Horsemen.

I'm not sure what the issue is. The "make 1, get 2" ability only works for the Saka Horse Archer and the Light Cavalry (neither of which require horse resources), not Horsemen.

Light Cavalry is a unit type - not a specific unit. There are Light and Heavy Cavalry. While technically we don't know which type the horsemen is, I think it's a fair guess that it is a Light Cavalry unit considering the fairly specific name of the Heavy Chariot.

The real question is what the Knight and Later Cavalry unit classify as. My guess is that the Knight is Heavy, and the Cavalry unit is Light. So it's possible that Scythia won't be able to spam knights.

The terrible civ 6 design team strikes again. Tomyris wasn't a warrior, makes no sense she's dressed as such. If they weren't lazy enough that might have found this rendition of a Scythian queen....which came from the same book of the design they went with.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom