1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Look: The Development Team Video

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 12, 2016.

1. rastak

rastak Emperor

I found a civ v thread here dated Jul 7th 2010 (or thereabouts) which had all 18. The game released Sep 21st so at least 10 weeks before.

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

So we're about a month ahead of that then.

3. rastak

rastak Emperor

I still can't figure out if that leader poster was intentional. I would say it's gotta be.

Very interesting way to reveal if that is true.

4. TheMarshmallowBear

I'm pretty sure that NDAs are heavy, so they had to approve "we can show this, and this, we can't show that, not just yet"

So this was defeniately intentional.

I also don't think this was an accident, the leak didn't come from anybody but Firaxis itself, and they know we pillage every second and get as much out of it as we can find.

5. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

What if the picture put up are not the leaders or even in the game, they could have set up the known leaders as a decoy.

6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I would agree however it is also possible that Firaxis underestimated just how really persistent and determined we are at pillaging screenshots for information. Whomever made the video may have dismissed the possibility that we would figure anything out from it based on the fact that it is blurry concept art in the background that is only on screen for a couple seconds. Heck, it is a "blink and you miss it" type situation so the video person may have missed it.

It is also possible that is concept art from earlier in the development cycle and some of the leaders have changed so Firaxis determined that even if we did glean any info from it, that it would not matter.

7. TheMarshmallowBear

I'm pretty sure that both Ed and Dennis lurk these forums (HEY YOU TWO!) and I'm fairly sure their marketing department knows about how vicious we go through every video. They've commented on few occassions about it.

8. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

But I really doubt that he would go to CFC. I think he just means their official 2K Civ forum.

9. TheMarshmallowBear

Dennis Shirk has posted on few occassions, including asking people for logs.

and Civ Fanatics, I believe, is the largest mod-fansite for Civilization franchise (I think.. :mischief:)

10. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I know. I am just asking, is it possible that this one slipped past them?

11. rastak

rastak Emperor

It's possible but they would have had to be REALLY careless. I watched the video, then froze it with each scene change to see if I could pick out anything on the walls, any hints. They were very careful to film the wall of sticky notes from an angle you couldn't read them. I took me less than 20 minutes to go through the 3 minutes.

I cannot imagine they'd have camera's in their facility and not go through it with stills to ensure nothing they didn't want shown was in there. Who knows what they already edited out.

12. rastak

rastak Emperor

You know where they might have gotten the idea? Before the release of BNW, civ fanatics found placeholders in steam achievements or something, right? I specifically recall people speculating on the civs based on the alphabetic order. Even Beach said during an interview he was amazed how hard everyone would dig for information and actually figure out the facts.

Hell, someone matched the exact color codes of the old flag of Venice. This very well might have been a little game on their part. If so, civ fanatics again delivered.

13. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I also wonder, if this reveal was not intentional, if it will alter their marketing plan. Will Firaxis reveal civs sooner since we already figured it out?

14. rastak

rastak Emperor

Well, those are pretty blurry pictures and not all are for certain identified. Might be a fun contest of sorts as they reveal them one by one and are scratched off the bingo board.

edit: If it were unintentional I would guess they'd proceed as panned anyway. Not everyone reads civ fanatics forums, not by a long shot.

15. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I hope so--some of their choices are abominable, if true. :sad:

16. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Well, the first left-field choice that ends up on a First Look video should pretty much confirm the list.

17. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

36 hours and 40 minutes until we find out then.

18. TheMarshmallowBear

Well.. no...... they still haven't given us a first look on China.

19. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I'd be very surprised if this "leak" was intentional. The marketing folks probably scrubbed through the video and thought, "they'll never figure that out... you can't see anything."

If it wasn't for the fact that they happen to be in alphabetical order, I don't think we'd have been able to identify even half of them.

But as I said before, humans are pattern-recognition machines. :D

20. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

Only 228 hours and 15 minutes to go then.**