1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Look: The Development Team Video

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 12, 2016.

1. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

I agree. This board on the video is clearly is mistake. Probability what marketing gave us a way to determine all the release civs 5 months before release - looks minimal to me. Probability what they decided to let us guess post-release DLC civs in the same time - looks like zero to me. This leak was unintentional.

2. ZTZaorish

ZTZaorish Warlord

He knows the hardcore fans are here, i doubt he would spend more time there.

3. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Also, I have a feeling we've pushed Spain announcement far away in the list. Firaxis will try to keep at least some kind of intrigue.

4. Graethyenne

Graethyenne Chieftain

I'm going to go on record saying I think it almost has to have been intentional.

This be a HUGE mistake if it was a mistake and could destroy whatever roll-out they had planned.

Besides, I look at four things that point strongly towards intentional.

1) very little new info in this video otherwise. Basically this was a complete throw-away for the folks that are watching closely if not for the the leader leak.

2) placement of the leak. It's b-roll, having nothing to do with the video or what is being talked about. The camera wouldn't have been in that hallway where it might have caught something taboo if Firaxis didn't want them there.

3) the quality of the leak. It is just good enough that (with it being in alphabetical order) we have mostly worked who's who. Much better, and there would have been no game to it. Much worse and it would have been pointless. And even the fact that they were in alphabetical order is reasonable circumstantial evidence that this was deliberate.

4) the value of the leak. Not only did the leak generate a TON of furious comments and other engagement from the community, has two other benefits. It gives Firaxis insight into the thought processes of its core die-hard fans, and it does so with very little cost. They haven't (and I presume won't) confirm that we worked it all out. They don't have to confirm anything any sooner than they would have otherwise, and if they *REALLY* wanted to, they could tweak things based on reactions here. I don't expect they will, but if they were say on the fence about a particular leader, a negative eruption might nudge them to their next choice.

Which doesn't mean it wasn't a gaffe, but boy howdy is it a big one if it was....

5. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Looks unintentional to me, but they will get early feedback on their leader choices with enough time to make changes if they want to. The leader board shot gets 1 second of screen time.

6. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

They know how we are about this stuff and they are game designers. :mischief:
    They put it in as a little challenge/promo.

7. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

It's nice that you think that game designers are somehow omniscient, but...

The video wasn't made by game designers. It was made by marketing people.

8. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Well duh! But Ed and co. could easily have planned that with the marketing people and mocked that up for the video. Yeah, Occam's Razor suggests it's just a slip up, but some of us gotta believe they'd make better choices than this!

Edit: The one peice of evidence for it being put in to amuse/provoke, however, that does survive Occam's Razor is the civet. They're looking to see if we're paying attention.

9. Liex

Liex King

Is 3 months enough time to make this kind of change? I think it's quite possible that the final list will diverge from this one, but not due to feedback.

10. footslogger

footslogger Warlord

Definitely not intentional but I'd be surprised if Firaxis don't see the funny side of it. Bottom line: sales won't be damaged.

11. Birdjaguar

I think that if they wanted to give fans something to study, it would be the big white board at the right side of the leader shot. That is the obvious target for investigation.

12. Birdjaguar

They probably won't admit to error or comment on it either.

13. rastak

rastak Emperor

But since the footage is being shot at Firaxis studios wouldn't you think one of the senior guys would check a 3 minute video to make sure it didn't show anything proprietary?

I said earlier, I paused it with each scene change to try and find anything legible on the walls and it didn't take very long. I doubt they let the marketing people shoot whatever they wanted. They had to review it.

Last point, only nuts like you guys and me by extension would even care. The masses will just watch the reveal videos. Hopefully after release we can find out if it was intentional or not in an interview.

14. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Yeah, it doesn't hurt them. Even in the case where we know the name of every civ and leader, we're still eager to learn what they look like, what uniques they have, and how they play.

15. m15a

m15a Emperor

Whoever checked over the video may have missed that detail, though. It's like when you find a typo in a book... well, must mean they didn't proofread it, right? Or is that misspelling intentional? No, it just means that the people that proofread it didn't catch that error.

16. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

I don't think this would damage the sale, afterall they need to reveal the whole list eventually, and for instance, to someone who think "I won't buy this game if it doesn't include Persia", he would not buy it wheather he know the civ list 3 months before the release or 10 days before.

17. darko82

darko82 Emperor

I can see no leak. Not sure what you are talking about?

18. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

The release is only 3 months away. ;)

19. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

We're talking about this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=570683

Thanks. Looks like my math skills degraded too fast (together with my alphabet in the actual pic discussion) :lol:

20. IdiotStyle

IdiotStyle Warlord

we once had a scandal in france because one company didn't put a paper sheet off the wall containing password and username for the computer next to it, it made echo through french news right after it was shown in an interview inside the company