First post and Game Walkthrough!!

intellectsucks

Warlord
Hey all,
Here is my first post first correct post. I've been doing ok on my own but feel like I've reached a ceiling. Now on noble and prince I can only win certain games when things seem JUST right, and I'd like to improve.

ANYWAY I'm going to walk through my whole game, add pointers criticisms, advice etc as you feel fit, and I will try to implement them into my game. Please understand that I know barely ANY terms so pretend you're talking to someone who just started playing today.

Info:
Fractal map
Villages are on
Noble Difficulty
Turned out to be Montezuma

I'll try to post as often as possible but unfortunately I also have to work, so I might not have as many posts as we'd all like.

Start is attached.

Next few turns and my first few units

I usually start off the game with trying to rush the closest competitors capital and either take it or cripple them.

Found the native americans and converging the warriors, some more space revealed around capital, worker is almost done.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 140
  • Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 96
  • Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 84
Wasn't sure about the odds, but Cahokia has fallen!!!

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 74
A little worried about my military, don't see any nearby bronze or horses....

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 94
Also, I have no idea where to put my second city. Thinking of may putting it 1N of the gold? Better figure it out quick cause that settler is coming quick!!

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 73
Second worker is built, found horses and going for my favorite wonder (favorite wonder should be said with Forrest Gump's accent...)

Woah there, if you want any advise that isn't useless by the time you read it your better off slowing down!
For starters, while it is quite effective at noble a warrior rush start is very bad for learning as past Prince only the Incan civ is capable of pulling one off at all. Your start was asking for worker first to improve the corn and cow.
Also, I have no idea where to put my second city. Thinking of may putting it 1N of the gold? Better figure it out quick cause that settler is coming quick!!
1 North West of the gold, gold is good but the corn is a higher priority, 1NW brings both inside the cities inner ring allowing you to work the without a border pop (so you don't need to rush monument!).
When you do get a border pop it will claim the stone too.

Hope is a terrible plan but at this point I guess the hope of some iron is all I have for my military for a long time....

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 60
There isn't an absolute need to get strategic resources so Iron Working (IW) for that purpose isn't a priority. We can't see the map very clearly from the Screenshots so we don't know how many viable city sites you have outside the jungle (a picture may say a thousand words, but a save shows a thousand pics!), but IW will be needed fairly soon in order to settle that jungle.

OK, stumped on my 3rd city too. Options and reasoning:

1. Settle on the spices due south of the capital in between iron and rice. The iron will give me a little bit of production, the rice, bananas and farmable areas around will let me make a Great Person Farm (right? maybe? I dunno...?) Closer to capital, so less strain on economy.

2. Settle on one of the hills southeast of Teohituacan. Has access to iron, pigs, corn and some hills for production. Further from capital so a little bit though on an already strained economy...

3. 1W of gems in third screen shot. Eff production, use the bananas rice and spices for food and gems for $ and happiness.

4. Somewhere I didn't even think of because you guys know more about the game than I do right now....

I'm kind of partial to option 2 but option 1 seems ok as well. Obviously option 4 is the wild card...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 73
  • Civ4ScreenShot0028.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0028.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 57
Seems like most of the island that I'm on is revealed unless alexander has boxed in another civ past his borders. I'll writing in a couple of turns so I'll know soon enough. Seems like it's me, Kublai khan, alexander, and Mansa Musa on this island. Plus, you now a ton of barbs....

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Civ4ScreenShot0032.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0032.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 89
OK so I've decided the hills with the iron and pigs is the where the next city is going. Sending a warrior in to assess how alexanders military is doing and possibly going after him next. Might send another settler over to the jungle to claim those gems in a little bit. Hope I'm not running things off the rails too soon.

Attachments

• CivSkooled.CivBeyondSwordSave
    90.9 KB · Views: 30
OK, stumped on my 3rd city too. Options and reasoning:

1. Settle on the spices due south of the capital in between iron and rice. The iron will give me a little bit of production, the rice, bananas and farmable areas around will let me make a Great Person Farm (right? maybe? I dunno...?) Closer to capital, so less strain on economy.

2. Settle on one of the hills southeast of Teohituacan. Has access to iron, pigs, corn and some hills for production. Further from capital so a little bit though on an already strained economy...

3. 1W of gems in third screen shot. Eff production, use the bananas rice and spices for food and gems for $ and happiness.

4. Somewhere I didn't even think of because you guys know more about the game than I do right now....

I'm kind of partial to option 2 but option 1 seems ok as well. Obviously option 4 is the wild card...

A good rule is - every city needs a food resource, and every food resource needs a city. And that food should be in the inner ring, ie in the 9 tiles immediately around the city, otherwise it won't have any food resources until the borders expand. Your options 1 and 3 don't fit that rule; option 3 won't have any food at all until you get calendar to improve the bananas. 1NW of the corn in the second screenshot isn't bad, getting wet (riverside) corn and iron in the inner ring (1N or 1NE would waste a grassland hill tile). That city doesn't need the pigs as well - you should scout east of those pigs to see what else they might support.
1N of the cow on the west coast would be OK too, although you snag a couple of useless mountain tiles.

Oh, and as Ghp said, slow down. Play a few turns then post a save and ask for advice on the whole situation.

Ok, so alexander seems like he has a pretty tough military with a couple of sources of iron and copper for his phalanx, so it seems like it will be a while before I can take him. I'm kind of tempted to just keep expanding east and see if I can choke him off. I'm running into a problem that comes up fairly frequently in my games where I'm bleeding cash and can't seem to recover without taking over a bunch of other cities. This will probably be my last post until later tonight so here is the save and some screen shots.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

Attachments

• CivSkooled.CivBeyondSwordSave
    99.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 56
  • Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG