First Post patch game impressions game

Started a continents, epic game.

New dimplomacy seems much better, I made sort of an alliance with 3 other civs. What I mean is that we each declared eachother friends and denounced the same civs. I tried asking my firends to go to war with one of the civs we had denounced and they all agreed to do so in 10 turns.

I have never had this happen before patch.

Heh.

I dare you to come back to this thread later and tell us that they stayed friendly with you in the long term and did not decide to betray you out of the blue suddenly for whatever reason.

500 gold for first to find el dorado? Feels very overpowered and annoying due to it's total randomness.

Diplomacy in this patch will decide if ciV still has interest for me or not. I hope it is really better than what I'm reading here. I haven't played a single game since they announced diplo patch. Now I hope it was worth it to keep waiting. If I see the diplomacy fixed, leaders having own personalities beeing warmongers, friendly or whatever, Ill definately buy the dlcs we had until now. If they all keep just beeing random AIs who just end up angry at you, I' affraid that was it :/

Yes, even if now I get a tooltip saying "hostile because you built 3 wonders" or "hostile because you have 2 more cities than he has".... Angry for me just playing the game is not a reason to be angry with me...

WOW look how many people that simply cannot be pleased. They just overhauled the game, I'm happy. I see a lot of people mad that the AI "is just declaring war me for no reason". So what? I declare war on the AI all the time for reasons the AI would probably think is also "no reason". So this is a NON issue.

Diplomacy seems finished finally, a big step in the right direction, and the AI in terms of combat isn't ******ed anymore, (at least not nearly as bad it was) another big plus.

Hell this made me rethink actually buying the new DLC. We'll see how my first game here finishes up, but so far I'm quite pleased with more aggressive AI and other changes.

Funny how people hate the game everytime the AI get in there way instead of being easily manipulated like in civ 4. Diplo seems realy better so far. In my new game, persia is friendly for now while the 3 other civ seems to want my territory... should be interesting.

WOW look how many people that simply cannot be pleased. They just overhauled the game, I'm happy. I see a lot of people mad that the AI "is just declaring war me for no reason". So what? I declare war on the AI all the time for reasons the AI would probably think is also "no reason". So this is a NON issue.

Diplomacy seems finished finally, a big step in the right direction, and the AI in terms of combat isn't ******ed anymore, (at least not nearly as bad it was) another big plus.

Hell this made me rethink actually buying the new DLC. We'll see how my first game here finishes up, but so far I'm quite pleased with more aggressive AI and other changes.

I think that folks are looking for reports on how the game plays with the changes - obviously some others didn't have the same reaction that you did. For example, I didn't think that the AI was insufficiently aggressive before - are you saying that it's now more inclined to war than it used to be? What other changes are you seeing?

Because I dont want to play against 7 oponents. I play sc2 with real oponents for that.In civ I want leaders with personality, not human players wannabe

Really hope this patch adressed that

Because I dont want to play against 7 oponents. I play sc2 with real oponents for that.In civ I want leaders with personality, not human players wannabe

Really hope this patch adressed that
Unfortunately, I think that's more of a "religious" argument, i.e. whether you want to play sandbox mode (civs do their thing based on personality) or competitive mode (civs try to win the game). Both camps have supporters, and both camps have respectable reasons for liking it the way they do, so it's just a matter of personal preference. It doesn't seem like they're ever going to patch that out because it's probably not something the designers think is a "bug". The AI was designed to try to win the game (no matter how much they happen to fail at it).

Walls popping up everywhere with canons being rush bought in the cities.

Crossbowmen and warchaorits of egypt being retreated as fast as possible before my melee coul dkill them, i caught all of them two turns later tho.

Combat did improve, AI actually tried to save its archery units. In middle of a war against a potentional runaway ai ramesses. Was playign the game yesterday and now today, had to rebuild himeji castle twice lol.

Technology goes way too fast. Get out the National Library in the early game, and the Classical era zips by like nothing. It over doubled my science.

I just noticed that settlers are immediately killed, when captured by barbarians. This makes some sense. Don't know about workers.

Technology goes way too fast. Get out the National Library in the early game, and the Classical era zips by like nothing. It over doubled my science.

Yes, the capital can now become quite the research behemoth early on. Tradition, a Library, the National College and Maritimes yield a monster of a research city.

Unfortunately, it would seem that all this will do is delay the onset of your ICS.

The new diplomacy looks interesting. Although there are "negative reasons" for the AI that I do not understand very well.

"They believe that you're trying to win the game by the same way they are", or something like that. Kind of immersion breaking and strange.

Ghandi backstabbed me! And this is exactly waht the Global Politics screen says: "Backstabbed You". He went from friendly to denuncing me. This is aggravated because I got "Friends found reasons to denunce you!" diplomatical hit. Eventually, I managed to get declared by 4 civs on the very same turn. And this was a small map and one civ was unmet. I must admit however that I was playing trying to piss the AIs on purpose. Ghandi by the way, had 5 SPs unlocked: all of them on the Honor tree.

The AI did seem pretty better than I was used to. Nice cannon placements, archers two tiles away from cities...

And new bugs as well, apparently. Did anyone got a DoW, three or four consecutive turns by the same AI?

Yes, the capital can now become quite the research behemoth early on. Tradition, a Library, the National College and Maritimes yield a monster of a research city.

Unfortunately, it would seem that all this will do is delay the onset of your ICS.
All that you need is your National College up. A single break from REXing for one national wonder is completely worth it given how strong it is now. That +5 science is also multiplied by 1.5 along with everything else.

Tradition is now an amazing tree. I'd never grab every policy out of it, but the starting 2 (+50% capital growth and +34% wonder production) make it worth it. It also then gives you the option to gain a huge defensive policy at any time you want. The -34% unhappiness in the capital's actually also nice. With a 12 population capital (VERY feasible early game now), it would give a good +4 happiness - the Liberty tree would now need you to have 9 cities to match that.

Screw Liberty even if you're going for ICS. They nerfed it into oblivion. Instead go Tradition for the starting 2 policies, then Peity for the -25% unhappiness.

Game hung up on me between turns... Never happened before the patch was in. :sad:

I like what I've seen of the balance changes so far. Horses are still an excellent unit, definitely among the best, but the days of their ridiculous game breaking dominance are over.

I keep getting advised to connect gold and silver mines with roads so I can make my people happier. what gives?

anyone else have trouble loading saved games after the patch, i've got an Epic 552 turns complete and now it won't load, it hangs and I get a runtime exception error message when I go to my task manager to shut Civ down ??? :-(

I keep getting advised to connect gold and silver mines with roads so I can make my people happier. what gives?

I'm pretty sure that's been an issue from the beginning that they've neglected to fix...

Another problem that they've yet to fix (I don't understand why not) is the appearance of wonders in the ocean and on rivers. That seems like it wouldn't be too difficult?

Top Bottom