First Post patch game impressions game

My first post-patch game went well except for the 3 times it crashes on clicking next-turn and the constant complaining by China that I was too close to her borders when I was on an island and couldn't even see her borders anywhere on my explored map. I didn't experience the mayor starving his own city bug that game but I'm not ruling it out yet.

I really, really like the direction this patch has taken the gameplay, but for the love of Zeus can we get a bug patch next?

I want to avoid another Civ4 with some basic bugs and glitches lasting for the entire games life.

Edit: Mayor starving his own city is still in.

Okay, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Natural Wonders. I heard nothing of this before I actually played the new patch. Natural Wonders are actually something you want to have. The bonuses they provide are gigantic. One gives 500G to the first person to discover and yields five culture. Another one yeilds 10 gold. A 10 gold tile. There is a 10 Happiness one, some science, food and hammer ones. A long with some balanced ones.

Seems to give me one more reason to go to war. :3

People have mentioned. Theres like 4 threads on this page just about them.

I think I am unimpressed with the patch. It's definitely still Civ V. The game just crashed for me in the late game and it's not worth reloading.

At least we have Fountain of Youth and El Dorado as Natural Wonders. My parents took me to those when I was a kid. Those were the best natural wonders I have visited yet. They were near the planet Uranus and we got there on a magic pony. Well we were pulled there by a magic pony while sitting on a magic carpet. I am surprised they didn't put in the magic pony or the magic carpet. Oh well. Maybe next time. Civ V, whut happnd?

I'm convinced they play test on standard maps or larger.

The AI behavior doesn't appear to adapt to tinier maps and that's a bit part, I suspect, of why so many posters here are complaining about AI responses to 'encroachment'...

either that, or they're bloodthirsty warmongers used to walking over the AI.

I still hold that Civ5 is play tested with larger maps.

I think I am unimpressed with the patch. It's definitely still Civ V. The game just crashed for me in the late game and it's not worth reloading.

At least we have Fountain of Youth and El Dorado as Natural Wonders. My parents took me to those when I was a kid. Those were the best natural wonders I have visited yet. They were near the planet Uranus and we got there on a magic pony. Well we were pulled there by a magic pony while sitting on a magic carpet. I am surprised they didn't put in the magic pony or the magic carpet. Oh well. Maybe next time. Civ V, whut happnd?

Are you sure? I remember distinctly visiting the Fountain of Youth, only to discover that it had been closed by the evil wizard and his army of pixies.

Are you sure? I remember distinctly visiting the Fountain of Youth, only to discover that it had been closed by the evil wizard and his army of pixies.

You're thinking of the natural wonder of Hogwarts.

The Fountain of Youth was purchased by Pfizer in 1992, dismantled and sold for scrap the following year.

Technology goes way too fast. Get out the National Library in the early game, and the Classical era zips by like nothing. It over doubled my science.

See? I told you putting in research overflow was a bad idea. :)

You're thinking of the natural wonder of Hogwarts.

The Fountain of Youth was purchased by Pfizer in 1992, dismantled and sold for scrap the following year.

I thought Hogwarts had been leased by Han Solo from Captain Kirk? He was getting plus three gold from it to modify the Falcon?

See? I told you putting in research overflow was a bad idea. :)

He he. Well, it should be easy to mod. ;)

Also, as always should be pointed out re research overflow, the change depends on the gamespeed. Epic and Marathon mods in particular have probably barely changed. At normal, it should be noticeable, and at Quick it should be very noticeable.

:lol:

Yeah, I'm actually a fan of the patch, but these wonders are pretty ludicrous. The other thing I'm still unhappy about is the local happiness limit. At least they mitigated its gameplay effects with additional sources of happiness. The concept just irritates me (to have global happiness but local limits). :mad:

Yes, why not add some real natural wonders. It's like building widgets in fantasy land! :lol: Its funny, when I read this post at first I thought you were serious, you got me. I thought briefly we have a wacko here! Next time we'll be looking around for Gollum's cave and stealing back the one ring! :rolleyes:

So, I booted up a 1900 World Map and the changes in gameplay were noticable. For one, I'm actually able to sign defensive pacts which is new given that before, none of the AIs did that. Second, I'm seeing the AI....not moving its units around like idiots. Britain has two units on my Canadian borders and they've just been sitting there. Not dancing and crap.

But....standing there.

The Declaration of Friendship and Denouncement stuff is really working out. Diplomacy has greatly improved and international relations are more transparent. Russia declared war on Japan but I was able to see the political lead-up to it instead of it just being a random WTF moment like things like that use to be.

The harder cities to conqore is excelent. No more runaway civs at 1000AD. You actually need seige equipment.

Save files do not work reliably and the zillion declarations in the first round of loading an old save doesn't really make playing old save fun.

Okay, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Natural Wonders. I heard nothing of this before I actually played the new patch. Natural Wonders are actually something you want to have. The bonuses they provide are gigantic. One gives 500G to the first person to discover and yields five culture. Another one yeilds 10 gold. A 10 gold tile. There is a 10 Happiness one, some science, food and hammer ones. A long with some balanced ones.

Seems to give me one more reason to go to war. :3

It's one of my favorite changes in the patch. It finally gives purpose to the natural wonders and makes you want to incorporate them into your civ. And yes, now they're worth fighting for.

I think I played a lot of Civ4 games but maybe my memory is failing... but I clearly remember that unless abusing the unmodded religion on Civ4... other civilizations DO betray you out of the blue and you DON'T have a happy family. Suddenly I feel like all Civ5 players are surprised that the PC tries to... hum... kill you when IT feels YOU are weak. Gandhi / Asoka has been betraying me since Civ2!

Look at the natural wonders this way: it's not the existence of said thing, but the rumored existence that is attracting people, making them happy, etc. And once you discover motion pictures, you can make a movie with an Elton John soundtrack about El Dorado. :)

Top Bottom