[R&F] First Rise and Fall livestream on Dec 13th

A thought just occurred to me. If Bread and Circuses is the new project for the Entertainment Complex, what becomes of Brazil's unique Carnival project that makes Great People points? Is it combined with Bread and Circuses or will they get some kind of redesign?

It may just give you both options.

Yeah, I'm not sure if we can rename leaders or our Civilization. It's not a biggie for me, but it is something I enjoy doing every now in then. Lols to the Nepotism...good call :lol::lol::lol:

I don't see why they'd offer that option - the leaders represent specific historical figures and many of them have dialogue that refers to them by name. Nor do I see any point to it.

Since III (or maybe II?) :p

Nup - 4 :p

I don't see why they'd offer that option - the leaders represent specific historical figures and many of them have dialogue that refers to them by name. Nor do I see any point to it.

Well...it's possible that as a feature in previous editions it wasn't taken up by many players so they have decided to drop it. Sad...but understandable in terms of allocation of resources. But make no mistake - it was a feature! I argue against the inclusion of most modern countries; but every now and then I did like to change whatever Civ I was playing to being called New Zealand, lead by David Lange! Or often I'll change the leaders name to my Nahtanoj (the GREAT) - kinda like Eminem has Slim Shady as his alter ego. Many people like having role playing aspects of the game, and hopefully it's enough that they'll see fit to return this ability eventually.

Well...it's possible that as a feature in previous editions it wasn't taken up by many players so they have decided to drop it. Sad...but understandable in terms of allocation of resources. But make no mistake - it was a feature! I argue against the inclusion of most modern countries; but every now and then I did like to change whatever Civ I was playing to being called New Zealand, lead by David Lange! Or often I'll change the leaders name to my Nahtanoj (the GREAT) - kinda like Eminem has Slim Shady as his alter ego. Many people like having role playing aspects of the game, and hopefully it's enough that they'll see fit to return this ability eventually.

Nup, Civ 3 had Golden Ages. Two kinds, Scientific Golden Age and regular Golden.

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Golden_Age_(Civ3)

A thought just occurred to me. If Bread and Circuses is the new project for the Entertainment Complex, what becomes of Brazil's unique Carnival project that makes Great People points? Is it combined with Bread and Circuses or will they get some kind of redesign?

I would assume that the carnival project would just be a souped up bread and circuses project. So presumably you will get loyalty + amenities + GP points. If that is the case, that would definitely make them much stronger.

Regarding the government plaza buildings: the Foreign Ministry allows you to leverage city-state forces for half cost. In all my time playing this game I've never once done this and had forgotten it was even an option until I saw the tier 2 buildings in the stream. Is this a building you think you'll build? Or are the other two options too good to pass up?

Regarding the government plaza buildings: the Foreign Ministry allows you to leverage city-state forces for half cost. In all my time playing this game I've never once done this and had forgotten it was even an option until I saw the tier 2 buildings in the stream. Is this a building you think you'll build? Or are the other two options too good to pass up?

Yeah I also have only done it like once just to try it. It seems pretty niche, but spitballing there's a couple possibilities. If I had some key CS suzerainships that were far away from me, it might be worth getting in order to better able to defend them from attack (as I'll be able to out maneuver the AI better with their units better than they will). Conversely, in something like continents, one could plop some envoys and the diplomat governor into a CS on a newly discovered continent and then use that to attack an AI, and then once there's a base city, can just buy units in that - rather than having to try and send a bunch of units over.

And now I'm tempted to try at least one 'challenge' game where I do a dom victory only with levied city state units or something like that.

I think if I have a lot of faith generation (which is usually not the case), the grandmaster's palace is pretty much a definite.

The intelligence agency seems like the most generically useful (spies are always useful), though not must-have by any means, so it makes it more likely that I'd give the foreign ministry a go if there was a situation that seemed viable.

Thanks for the link.

Ditto for me. I think I did it once just to see how it worked. I wonder if it will become more useful when conquering a new continent since loyalty conversions might make those expansions tougher.

In Civ3, a Golden Age was triggered the first time your Unique Unit got a kill, or if you built a Wonder that Matched one of your Civ's Characteristics (Expansionist, Religious, Militaristic etc).

Well, Civ has had a version of golden ages since Civ IV...
I'm aware of golden ages in earlier civ games, but the way they are doing it now is different and reminds me of EU IV Mandate of Heaven. It's not exactly the same, but closer to this than to older civ games.

I used to like inventing a civ and leader name, I especially liked how it worked in Civ 4. I usually rename all my cities and call my religion something daft anyway. :hatsoff:

Yeah, I'm not sure if we can rename leaders or our Civilization. It's not a biggie for me, but it is something I enjoy doing every now in then. Lols to the Nepotism...good call :lol::lol::lol:

As soon as you take them as your "player", you are modyfing their agenda, etc... therefore they don't represent that much the historical figures. I use to make anagrams of their name and mine... so i.e. If I play egypt, I'll be playing Cleosephias, or if I am playing Aztec it would be Mosephzuma.

There is also a very, very practical reason to do so: default save game uses civ. leader name and year, therefore, if I want to keep my first game as Cleo, and then do a second game, I do not need to specifically save first Cleo's game files apart, but trigger the second game as "Joclepatra" or "Closephias II". :egypt:

And, of course, there is the need to differentiate your games in the Hall of Fame -- :shifty: Errm... just forget about that...

Yeah, I think fond memories oft repeated here of the advisers in Civ II is part of what lead them to go with one look for all the governors. The OTT military advisor is def the inspiration for the Castellan! The difference to me is that the advisers were a humorous/sometimes helpful take on what was happening in game...they weren't actually part of the game themselves.

I'd also say named-fixed appearance caracters are also more bearable if you interact with them, instead of a bunch of stats. You might like or hate Elvis the happiness advisor, but he was there, talking to you - it felt like you cannot always select your advisors and ended up with some people and their personalities (that, btw, acted nice and less irritating if you meet their specific area). "interaction" made it easier for you to bond with these characters, whether you liked them at first or not.

Therefore, I'd strongly suggest firaxis, if there's still time (or if not, if it can be patched), that have a look at governors screen and see if it can be used also to throw-in some advisor quotes. I may get closer to Pingala if I imagine him recommending which tech to research next, or warning we are behind in civics. Victor for Military and Amani for Foreighn relatios are clear matches. Most difficult think is to split the Domestic advisor in four, but indeed their area of responsibility is clear: Markus (production and strategic resources - take them away from military), Liang (number of cities, luxuries, amenities, appeal), Moshka (religion-related topics) and Reyna (finance). I would not develop anything fancy - just entering text quotes as the advisor panel for Civ V. But having these named characters "talk" to you might be beneficial.

In my opinion, the governors should've taken names from the same pool as the delegates and spies already do to begin with. While "Brynjar" and "Akira" probably wouldn't fit Pingala and Magnus, respectively, it'd at least help in localising the civs further.
Of course, best case scenario would be that they had civ-specific portraits and names, but I don't know if it's too late in development to change that. In any case, there'll probably be a mod that changes it eventually.

On civ-customization topics, specific portraits might bee to harsh on resource dedications, but some colors adjustment, mainly in clothes could work to make them more associate to each city. As the names seem to be representative of their area (as some pointed out "Amani" means peace in swahili, "Moksha" refers to sould trascendence, and "Victor" is probably given because of victory), it will be interesting (if perhaps a bit heavy on research), to have names with this similar meaning in the Civ's cultures.

Therefore Amani will keep Amani for congo, but will be named Irene for Greece, or Paz for spain. Victor may keep as is for europeans, but be Huosheng for china, or
Chyochomneah for khmer, Moksha might be Ascensio for Rome, and Mitlan or Tlaocan for Aztecs.

It may just give you both options.

Yes, as I heard it, it seemed to be an additional project, but who knows?

I would assume that the carnival project would just be a souped up bread and circuses project. So presumably you will get loyalty + amenities + GP points. If that is the case, that would definitely make them much stronger.

Not that the Aztecs need to get any stronger :mischief:

I'm aware of golden ages in earlier civ games, but the way they are doing it now is different and reminds me of EU IV Mandate of Heaven. It's not exactly the same, but closer to this than to older civ games.

Actually, in some respects, this Golden Age system is more like the CivIII one than either CIV or CV ever was.

Top Bottom