1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] First strikes are insane

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by earthy, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Prince

Speaking of great medics... is there any difference between the healing quality of Medic/ Woodsman III?

2. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Not that I know of but both together are more fun so I usually go up woods first since it only needs one medic added to improve.

3. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Prince

I think having read somewhere that medical bonuses are NOT added but only the highest one will be applied. Or do you mean something like putting the two medics on different tiles to increase their reach?

4. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I am a firm believer in wimpy super medics :lol: don't want 'em accidentally turning up as the strongest defender and dying...

Kaitzilla likes this.
  5. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Medic III is stronger than Woody III,
    if they are on different healer units only medic will be used, if they are on 1 unit (super healer with both medic and Woody III) they stack.

gavenkoa and Tobiyogi like this.
  6. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Prince

I see.... becoming WM III first and then with the help of a GG putting the Medic on top. I wonder if 20 exp points are enough for medic 1-3 when the guy has already 3 promotions out of the woods?

7. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I've always gone the other way. You can't be afraid to lose them or you're wasting them from getting any stronger. If you're going for dom or conq you're going to have plenty of generals so I don't cry when I lose one. **** happens. And if it's an early one, you can give get them CR promotions moping up, and if you put a good defender in the stack you can minimize your danger and if you keep them a little wounded it also helps. But then I'm probably the only one here that thinks this. I like having 5 or 6 GG rifles (with move) moving with my cavalry. A couple of super healers and a few with CR3. Yeah, a few die, deal with it.

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'd rather not.

9. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I let the AI settle GG and then take that city. So I usually have many GG units and send a some with each stack.
    When you have 7 or more on the board, the fate of a single one is easier to deal with.
    And as I said, more here agree with you.

10. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Combat V is awesome, but you don't need it if you have enough Air/Mobile Artillery.

Commando with that 5th promotion, for me.

11. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

See, I'd love to take Commando but I feel like I can never get enough units with it for it to be properly useful, if that makes sense.

12. Fish Man

Fish Man Emperor

Stupid idea: what if Navy Seals got commando? Would fit with the theme and also make them actually consequential for once, as well as super fun to use. AI city defended by their stack? No problem, just move 10 tiles over their railroads to their capital and snipe it away :lol:.

Lexicus likes this.
  13. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Not without traits help (Agg, Cha?), you need combat 1 too for Medic III.
    So at 10xp you are just at Woody III, and total xp needed for more promos increases in steps like 17, 26..something like that.
    Jaguars can do it thou :)

Tobiyogi likes this.
  14. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I may be misunderstanding, but are you sure about that. I thought unit A with..say..medic 1 and unit b with Woody III would both apply their healing skills to the stack. I sometimes promote a unit like a chariot to medic one will get a woody III gg, since it may be a while that he will get the other medic promos. Seems to heal fast.

Woody III I believe is the strongest singular healing promo, while each medic promo adds 5% each time.

Jags indeed are very easy to get to Woody III, plus woody IIi is fun to kill stuff in forests while choking. Can do this with Quechas too. By far my favorite promo in the bunch

15. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I also always assumed having a Woody III unit and a Medic III unit would stack the healing bonuses, and that seemed to bear out, but I'm not 100% sure, I never tested it rigorously.

16. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi Prince

If two different units have healing qualities and they stand on the same tile, i am absolutely certain that only the best bonus will be applied, no stacking. That is written into one of the "Hints" you get while waiting for the game to launch.
    By the same rule, there is no use in promoting someone Medic II when you have already Medic III (of course, the Medic II can accompany ANOTHER stack, that will work).
    There might be some ways to avoid that rule by putting the super healer on an adjacent tile from where he still can reach the army while a Medic I or II stays on the same tile with the army.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  17. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Prince

The exact text of the hint in question, for reference:
    I always interpreted that as units with identical healing promotions not stacking the effect, but units with different healing promotions stacking. Of course in vanilla that's just the Medic line and Woodsman III.

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Actually, I do have a question, if you have Combat IV which gives an extra 10% healing/turn in neutral lands, does it also give the bonus in friendly lands?

19. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Yup i tested it, and unless i made a silly mistake Woody and Medic healing do not stack cept if they are on the same healer.
    Some pics
    Spoiler :

If you are curious, Medic III healed 5.3 damage on an unpromoted Cav and Woody III 3.8

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      506.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      509.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      551.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      553.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    gavenkoa, Tobiyogi and Lexicus like this.
  20. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Some more tests, same goes for Medic I + Woody III (no stacking if on different units).
    And Lexicus question, Combat IV gives no extra healing in friendly lands.

Imo the biggest advantage of Medic III: heals all units in a 1 tile radius, so they can be put in between stacks if they are slightly spread out.
    Woody III has to be with 1 stack.