First thing you'll do?

Shoshone offer a few great tactics.

The free tech is particularly interesting because you can get it whenever you want to. Find an ancient ruin at the coast or near some mountains and you can easily "trap it" with a few pathfinders or your (advanced) cultural borders. It's like a free Great Library with a lot of possibilities. Obviously Philosophy slingshot comes to mind (fast NC and temple spam!!!) or if the melee line gets a well deserved buff, rushing to iron working might be a good plan, too. :)
On emperor or below, even fast Theology might be possible with Great Library plus free tech. :D

To the post above, it's worth keeping in mind that it was stated that the Pathfinder could choose it's prize from an ancient ruin, but I don't recall it being mentions whether or not it could choose which tech to discover. After all, right now when you get a free tech from a ruin, you get a random one. I assume that will be the same for pathfinders: choose between X and a free, random, tech.

play a game on a rather balenced map (contenents or terra, maybe) with the 9 new civs, plus all the civs that are being changed, playing as the new civ that seems the most fun to me. (right now, its morrocco, but that changes on a whim)

I'll probably play the American Civil War scenario as the Yankees, capture Richmond, then take a screenshot and send it to my buddy from the South. :goodjob:

Probably Poland first up, followed by shoshone or venice

standard Pangaea standard settings emperor 3-4 city tradition. Basically my normal game except I normally go inca and play on immortal.

I'll feel like the kid in a candy store, not sure where to start! But the Africa scenario sounds fascinating, as does the ACW scenario. Of course, I'm eager to try out the new tourism and trade paradigms, so early contenders will be Venice or perhaps Indonesia. Hard to say but I do know that this expansion is what I've been waiting for since Civ V came out...more than a finishing touch, it is actually more like dropping a V-8 and air conditioning into a car that previously only had an I-4 and wing windows. :D

My sense is that this will complete Civ V to the level that we all wished it had from Day One.

I'll probably go Zulu first and go full Autocracy.

I definitely won't play on Quick like I normally do however; I want time to play around with the new features.

Play as Venice with other new civs on Pangea... As funny as it sounds, I'll actually enjoy a break from expansion via Settlers, and quit worrying about civs building near my territory constantly.

It'll be relaxing just simply puppeting all city-states near me, without worrying about repercussions, and declaring war on the civs that dare sit next to mighty Venice. Anyone else feels the same?

I'll feel like the kid in a candy store, not sure where to start! But the Africa scenario sounds fascinating, as does the ACW scenario. Of course, I'm eager to try out the new tourism and trade paradigms, so early contenders will be Venice or perhaps Indonesia. Hard to say but I do know that this expansion is what I've been waiting for since Civ V came out...more than a finishing touch, it is actually more like dropping a V-8 and air conditioning into a car that previously only had an I-4 and wing windows. :D

My sense is that this will complete Civ V to the level that we all wished it had from Day One.

Well said! Though personally I'm not blown away by the scenarios. (WWII and Cold War please!!!)

I will probably roll a few test games as Venice, Indonesia, and Shoshone just so I can abate my eagerness to tinker with and play them a bit. I might stick with one of those games if it's good. Then I will choose an old civ and play against every new and overhauled civ on Hemispheres or Modified Continents/Pangea Plus.

I will play as Venice and buy the whole world, basically. Including space ship... I already know which social policies to choose, although of course that may change depending on a few things.

Venice is really my ideal Civ tbh, as I enjoy OCC (without checking the box so I can still puppet) and with Venice I won't have the usual drawback (not being able to purchase in puppets). Plus I hate it when City States take up prime territory and a small police operation to straighten my borders has the whole world in my throat... With Venice I can simply make sell-outs out of them and chuckle into my most serene beard; I wish I could see their faces when I make foot-stools out of their former rulers. They don't get days off, either, having to pay for the collective insolence of their countless ancestors (games when I had to tolerate useless City States in my borders). Imagine the future, gentlemen... Having to smell my dirty socks -- forever! :goodjob::king:

After I finish with Venice I'm not sure which Civ I'll try. Zulus and Indonesia are out... They seem bland and random to me, and I don't like pure warmongers. Shoshone has all early benefits; I usually dislike civs like that, but I'll reserve my judgement here. Poland's UU is a must-try due to its unique mechanic -- and I'm a sucker for social policies! I wish I could pick two ideologies... Ah I can't wait to play, there's so many different things to explore! Archeologists... Brings a nice Indy flavor, especially if you pick Autocracy (if only they had fixed Germany!). Sorry if I'm all over the place but it fully reflects my current state of mind. :D 11 days and Heaven descends... :jesus::bounce::thanx::rockon:

To the post above, it's worth keeping in mind that it was stated that the Pathfinder could choose it's prize from an ancient ruin, but I don't recall it being mentions whether or not it could choose which tech to discover. After all, right now when you get a free tech from a ruin, you get a random one. I assume that will be the same for pathfinders: choose between X and a free, random, tech.

Uhhh, you're right, of course. My brain must have shut down for a second there. :)

You can still control when you get the random tech though. I'm sure, people will find out the optimal timing soon enough.

Check civilopedia entries for old & new civs, changes to unique abilities of existing civilizations etc.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

I'll probably play as Polynesia on an Earth Map with 21 AIs.

18 opponents:
9-G&K
9-BNW

3 other opponents:
Spain, France and Arabia

I'll probably go for a domination or diplomatic victory

Read Civilopedia first.., and then playing as an Indonesia in Pangea map..
Yup.., testing the new game mechanisms purely without having bonuses from UA, UI, UB, or UU.. :D

How disastrous would an attempt to play with all 42 (or 43) current CiV civs at once be? I've got a fairly powerful machine, (it's a laptop but a beefy one at that).

How disastrous would an attempt to play with all 42 (or 43) current CiV civs at once be? I've got a fairly powerful machine, (it's a laptop but a beefy one at that).

It's not possible to add that many civs to even the largest maps.

I think the limit is 14.

I believe the limit is 22 base game, but with a DLL mod it can be changed.

My first game will most likely be a standard Earth map with rough true starts for the 9 new civs as AI, and myself as France (although I will probably start with France in China just for space).

Top Bottom