Fitted Irrigation

Pounder

Phaethon was here
June 20,2017

New set loaded with minor additions and tweaks. Download

January 1, 2009

Here is an new set. Download

================================================================================================

Edit: November 15, 2007

Here is the latest irrigation that I'm using. Made changes to the Grassland and Plains files, added ponds and new types of irrigation, cleaned up the borders so the roads and rails overlay better.

download of post #81

New August 12, 2007: I meant to do this a while ago, these are the grassland irrigation without buildings.

I personally prefer them this way because the roads go over top of the irrigation and thus it is better to have the buildings on the roads.

You can get these on post #78.

New March 12, 2007: Fitted Terrain incorporating Ronnings irrigation, adding the look of newly ploughed/plowed fields.:trophy:

Here is the file download

There is an alternate version of the desert irrigation on post #72 with the newly ploughed/plowed motif.

Unzip and goes in:

C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Art\Terrain

Don't forget to backup your originals.

preview and download on post #64

Original post #1 and index of other fitted irrigation starts here.

New November 21, 2006: Fitted Terrain with service corridors, also includes a new roads file that is lighter wheel tracks only., preview and download on post #61

New August 1, 2005: Darker Version for Darker Terrain sets now available, preview and download on post #41

Edit May 5/05: Posted preview and download of Version 2 Fitted Irrigation on Post #36 preview and download

I have for the longest while been using Zeb's Irrigation because they were the only ones besides Firaxis' that actually followed the structure Firaxis set down.

Coastal boundries have been ignored for example. Each tile is supposed to be a certain shape to properly connect to adjacent tiles. Most of the mod's are all square and the irrigation juts out into the lake or ocean.

Irrigated pennisulas that are single tile will no longer be square. Edges, coastal areas and irrigated boundaries will not be square any more.

For the most part I think that the irrigation fits better. Each tile will proper connect to adjacent irrigation tiles and no more corners of irrigation tiles jutting out into the water.

As you can see I have borrowed from people like Niessuh and Mrtn. I hope they don't mind.

The are 3 files for: grassland, plains and desert. I figure that I will probably use Mrtn's Darker Desert Irrigation for the Tundra because I haven't figured out what to do with it yet and Tundra irrigation I think has to be modded to be enabled anyway (IIRC).

Edit Jan 15, 2005: Hikaro Takayama has posted a Tundra Irrigation on post #32 to go with this set.

Attachments

• 2009irripre.png
    2009irripre.png
    498.9 KB · Views: 2,336
Last edited:
Pounder said:
... I figure that I will probably use Mrtn's Darker Desert Irrigation for the Tundra because I haven't figured out what to do with it yet and Tundra irrigation I think has to be modded to be enabled anyway (IIRC).
That's just the irrigation from the WH Mod (vanilla or something very close to it) made 30% darker, and it took me almost 10 minutes ;) to do it, IIRC, so of course I don't mind. :)

But, I'm dimwitted today, and don't really get what you have actually done? :confused: This is Zeb's with fixed corners, or what?

mrtn said:
That's just the irrigation from the WH Mod (vanilla or something very close to it) made 30% darker, and it took me almost 10 minutes ;) to do it, IIRC, so of course I don't mind. :)

But, I'm dimwitted today, and don't really get what you have actually done? :confused: This is Zeb's with fixed corners, or what?

They are not Zeb's.

I liked some of the Irrigation Mod's that have been posted, but I didn't like the fact that they were all square and would go past where they shouldn't.

Firaxis has a pattern to the tiles in the file. I have attached a crude drawing.

The dark line shows which side the tile will connect to another piece of irrigation, the spray is the irrigation on the tile.

In the past only Zeb and Firaxis followed the pattern. I wanted a change, so this is my attempt. I liked Niessuh's and you can see that I borrowed alot from him.

Attachments

• irrigation file pattern.gif
    irrigation file pattern.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 9,038
Very nice, although Firaxis' irrigations tend to be on ocean/sea/coast tiles too, sometimes, on rare occasions.

SpincruS said:
Very nice, although Firaxis' irrigations tend to be on ocean/sea/coast tiles too, sometimes, on rare occasions.

Your right, I guess I've seen that alot.

I think if you want a perfect map you might have to make it yourself.

There will be the rare time with all of the them. Some of the idiosyncrasies of the random maps will produce a few odd things, like river deltas that don't go to sea (some times they go parallel to the coast rather than perpendicular).

Plus the coastal terrain is different sizes for different terrain types, coastal desert/floodplains may be more receded than grassland, therefore; irrigation and river deltas may stick out on desert coast and not even reach the coast on grassland. This will also produce smaller islands with desert terrain.

Edit: The thing Firaxis did right on their irrigation was connecting the tiles properly, so adjacent tiles would be complimentary.

There are some idiosyncrasies with connecting tiles as well. There seems to be some randomness assigned to each tile on the map, whether the tile is a land or a water tile (probably generated by the random seed). It seems to choose between tiles when there is a multiple choice and produces random results. This applies to the choosing of land, water, railroads (17 all direction tiles), and few others.

I like them alot, good work Pounder. :thumbsup:

Hi Pounder....
Always enjoty your stuff.
May I ask a favour.
Can I include your global warming thermometer in my metal screen installer please as they look so good on the metal.
Thanks
Eva

@ Eva

Go ahead , you don't have to ask. I considered anything posted here is now public domain and can be used/improved by others on this site.

BTW, I don't know if you did it already, but you should use my "Fix for the Transport Window Bug" (see my signature). I'm just thinking that if you used the Firaxis transport windows for your conversion, you will have those nasty leftovers when the window is closed.

Would anyone happen to have an in-game preview of these new graphics set beside cities? The reason I ask is that right now I use Niessuh's extended irrigation(my favorite :p ) ...the problem is that they all overlap over the cities. It's no big deal unless you're some sort of obsessive neat freak...[sigh]which I am...

I tried tweaking Niessuh's irrigation gfx last night but they came out nowhere near as well as Pounders...

I think it would be really nice if some ambitious person wanted to make a terrain package that had houses and other buildings on roads, railroads, and irrigation that aligned so that you didn't have railroads on top of houses, but that houses on the roads/railroads might fit perfectly over the irrigation houses so that you don't see them anymore. :mischief:

Top Bottom