Fix-It List

thanks for ur help however after the patch i still expierenced problems in installing although this time it did go further it still did not install completely here is my dx diag please someone help me tell me if my machine can handle this game and if so wat is the problem thanks for all ur help.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    42.6 KB · Views: 156
You have a GeForce 2 card, that barely supports Civ IV. Firaxis wrote a special code fix in the original release to try and work round it (the GeForce 2's dont support Shaders). The fix means its very slow and a little precarious,but at least they run - just.

Your other issue is that you are running XP with Civ IV, which needs 512mb, you only have 254mb.

Your pagefile is very low at 434 mb, it needs to be 1500mb min, preferably 2000mb

Your hard disk is 38Gb with only 8.5Gb free, if you increase your pagefile - which you could- you will have minimal space left on your C drive. Theoretically feasible, but flying close to the wind.

Your graphics driver is dated 2001, too far out of date - can be updated in theory, but with the other issues, its doubtful you will see any practical difference.

Need a hardware upgrade to the Graphics card, memory and hard disk, and its likely your motherboard is getting old if the rest is anything to go by - but the latter is less certain and maybe ok on a minimal basis. Its time to bite the bullet and get a PC upgrade.

You will not run it as it is, it does not meet the hardware specfication mandated for the game.

Regards
Zy

There are a few other things, but in a nutshell you will not get it running anywhere near satisfactorily with your current hardware, you fall well short of the minimum requirements.

ok thanks for your help it is about time i updated my pc anyway thanks for ur time again

If you need help choosing one - please post again, lots of replys guaranteed from different people giving opinions and advice - always good to get a different spin on things. Also look at the Take2 Civ IV support page for the minimum hardware specs

Regards
Zy

When I try to load up my game it starts to load and it starts checking the XML and then the loading procces stops and the aplication shuts down. How do i fix this?

Da_Cheated said:
When I try to load up my game it starts to load and it starts checking the XML and then the loading procces stops and the aplication shuts down. How do i fix this?
Extensively covered in various topics, please read them. In particular the regional settings or MSXML patches.

my problem:

ive been running the game fine enough (very rare crashes but theyr easy to deal with) since i got it about a week ago, but starting today, whenever i try to run it it i get:

Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application
Click here for more information about this error

Clicking that yeilds:

Unable to open the link "http://www.2kGames.com?product=136093115&locale=4105&error=6"

This happens with either disc 1 or 2. any ideas??

I'm having a very similar problem to the one listed above, and I've also seen it on other pages with no response, unfortunately.

I installed the game and I put it Disc 1, which makes the loading screen pop up. Unfortunately it stays on this for about 20 seconds, during which my CD drive starts and stops, starts and stops. I then get the error message saying that the CD cannot be found, and I need to insert the correct disc and restart the program. My system exceeds every one of the requirements, and I know my CD drive is working, because not only can I explore the contents of the CD, I have installed/uninstalled the game about 5 times within the last hour.

On another note, the civconfig.ini file doesn't seem to exist, at least not anywhere I can find it. I was attributing it to a creation the first time the program loads - which I haven't been able to make it do yet - but I thought I'd mention that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Dan

I'm having problems installing the game. I install all of the first disc and then insert the second, then it brings up an error message and then the whole installation crashes. My system meets the min requirements and I have tried inserting the disc and pressing different buttons every time etc. and nothing works! So somebody plz help!:D

Quick note to anyone who is having the same problem as I am - I've spent a significant amount of time on the phone with tech support over the past two days, and the conclusion that I've come to with them is that I received a faulty CD. They advised me to exchange it for a new one, since my system far surpasses the requirements, and I've upgraded all of the drivers and firmware that exist.

I'm not sure if this helps anyone, but perhaps it will. A quick note to Dhomeli, be patient. It sometimes takes a while.

- Dan

I have installed CivIV on two computers.
Firstly on my desktop system:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
AsRock 939Dual SATAII Mainboard
MSI GeForce 6800 GT PCI-E
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Player
1 GB Memory
Windows XP SP2

and a notebook:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
I think the Mainboard hast a VIA-chipset, which I don't know exactly
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
AC 97 Sound
512 MB Memory
Windows XP SP2

both have latest drivers for everything, and all Windows Updates installed.
I use DNA-Drivers on both systems. I've installed CivIV v1.52 on both systems but I'm facing severe problems on both systems.

On the desktop computer I can start the game and it runs more or less smoothly, after each round the game is sluggish for a sec or two, but no other probs at first. After some rounds (2-10 something like that) the game just hangs. I'm not sure if this is relatet on playing videos or on meeting other civilizations but it happens in the middle of doing something (maybe build a road or trying to get to the close view for a city). Sometimes i can shut the game down with the taskmanager, most of the times I have to switch off the computer (hold the button until it is switched off, normal shut down doesn't work). Music keeps running, but the screen stands still, hard drives are not loading.

On the notebook I had to play on lowest detail level, which doesn't bother me for a game like Civ. The game is nevertheless quite sluggish mainly in late game, I played once until 2050 and the last 4 rounds it took 3-5 minutes after each round until the computer had finished working (this was v1.09). Now after installing v1.52 the notebook shows the same problems as my desktop, some rounds work then the game stands still.

I cannot understand how a game can be released so buggy like this one. You could think they tested it with exactly those configurations they had to programm it and no others. I think there are more users having problems with the game than having none. At home we have two other computers, one my parents, one my brother on which to try the game, and on those of two friends on mine. I want to know if between these computers more run the game correctly or more not. I hope here is someone that has some tips I didn't try up to now.

I've attached the info of dxdiag of my notebook in the notebook.txt

Attachments

• notebook.txt
    57.8 KB · Views: 215
The laptop runs a 9000 mobility on board graphics - thats extremely boarderline hardware - and not within the game spec - especially as it only has a 64MB Video RAM (which is taken from main RAM, and no hardware support ie a graphics card). You could try reducing the load on the Video RAM, lots of posts on that in the main forum, but even then it will not run very well on that hardware.

Please post the dxdiag of the desktop in the main tech sp forum and someone pick that one up from there.

Regards
Zy

Thanks, I'll try that stuff out, but I'm pretty sure it's not a faulty cd. Just because I bought it at Best Buy. But, who knows? It's always a possibility. Continue to reply though if you have any other suggestions!

Dhomeli

Please post your Dxdiag on the main tech forum as a new thread together with any symptoms no matter how small

Regards
Zy

Another reminder!
I'm only having problems during installation of the second disc. It installs all of disc one then I insert disc two and it brings up a message like this...

Attachments

• IMGP0637.JPG
    IMGP0637.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMGP0645.JPG
    IMGP0645.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 262
The jpegs I attatched are the 'insert disc 2' page and the 'catastrophic failure' page

Hey, when i try to load the game up, it has the music and the background only, no options to click! I kno i have the requirements for sure. I do have a mic plugged in and i saw somewhere that can caus issues.

Help!

Top Bottom