Fix-It List

I recently bought a new notebook and far surpass the requiements. I have been playing Civ 4 on my desktop for the laast month or so. i am able to install the program om my notebook fine but when i enter disc 1 to play the game it says that the CD can not be found. I thought maybe the CD was defaulted so i installed it on another computer and everything worked fine. Do you have any ideas for me to fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Note: i have taken all the other suggested steps, unintall Cd burning programs, Installe patch 1.52, uninstall/reinstall.

There must be some sort of incompatibility issue between some CD's and some systems. I realize that sounds absurd, but I was having the same problem with my desktop that you are with your notebook. I tried everything I could, including updating all firmware and drivers for everything. I spent a good while on the phone with tech support, and the conclusion they came to was that I had a faulty CD. I returned it, got the new one, and everything worked fine.

If it truly was a case of a faulty CD, that's absurd. They must have put out a whole bunch of them, and that's just poor production.

- Dan

I have an AMD athalon64 3400+ 1.81Ghz with 512MB of RAM and have a a radeon 9550 with 128MB. When I play the game I get a skipping type behaviour like a CD was skipping the music skips and the game runs slow. Does anybody else have this problem? It really slows down my game.

Vic

Could you please post your Dxdiag in the main tech forum below

(Start Button - click - select run - type dxdiag - press enter - wait a min - select "save all information" - remember where you saved it - post it using the 'go advanced' button below)

Regards
Zy

GSwariiior

There ceratainly have been issues with some defective discs, thats for sure, but if you installed it on another PC, the discs are fine.

Sometimes what can happen is the tolerences on the DVD laser get out of wack on a DVD drive, not by much, but some. Each DVD disc from different manufacturers are slightly different in terms of the groove in the disc - production process limitation. One drive could be out of date with firmwear (or need an update that sorts out the tollerences). Its not common, but does happen.

Its worth going to the website of your DVD drive manufacturer and downloading the latest firmwear for the drive. Its an easy and painless process - providing you download the EXACT firmwear for your DVD drive. Make sure you look at the PC docs carefully to get the exact drive designation, loading the wrong firmware can knock out your DVD/CD drive until you get the correct one.

Regards
Zy

Ok, first I'll say that I am running Civ4 on a laptop with 2.0Ghz AMD Athlon 64, 512Mb RAM, and a 64Mb ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 graphics card. When I first installed the game I had to install the 1.09 patch to make it work with my video card and everything played pretty well.

I was able to run the game in High Graphics mode without much lag. Then patch 1.52 came out and after I installed it I am now unable to even run the game efficiently at Low quality mode. I updated my graphics driver and it didn't help.

While running the game I alt-tabbed and checked the Civilization4.exe process running in task manager. It had set itself to BelowNormal priority. I tried setting it to AboveNormal and Normal priority but it always resets itself to belowNormal after returning to the game.

Has anyone had a similar problem or does anyone know how to permanently set the process priority? I am also assuming there is going to be another Patch soon? Thank you all for your help.

The priority setting has little effect on a standalone PC running few - or zero - concurrent applications.

The problem is the Mobility Radeon graphics setup, its not a separate Video card, it relies on on board graphics, which the game does not support. The switch to V1.52 involved placing more load on the graphics card - which you do not have - hence you crashed. If you run your dxdiag (post it afterwards and we can take a look for you) you will see substantially less than 512Mb available in the memory line (probably says 446 or 478Mb Mb - thats the graphics setup "stealing" main systemRAM to work.

The plus side is that its 9600, and might be able to get it to run, but it will be slow even then, a memory upgrade to 1 Gb may help make up some of the lost power of no card - but cant guarantee that. Follow through on the link below (ignore the AGP part your AGP is ok) reducing memory load on the video as much as possible.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=154317

Ifyou post your Dxdiag we can have a look to see if anything else will help.

Regards
Zy

Please note that the game ran very well in High Mode before the v1.52 update. It won't let me repost the same file, please check my other thread "please help, game slow..." for my dxdiag.

-Erik

I thing that game only switch to below normal priority when it lost focus.

So i have tryed run it in windoved mode with task manager open it is taking 100% of processor and when you just click out of the game in windows, game lose focus and in task manager it is taking 0 or 1% of processor...

So the game is just switching priorities, that's no bad, better than if you would alt+tab and the game will be still getting 100% process power... ouch

Camel

Patch 1.52 fixed quite a few problems for me. However, I still can not see the animal resources such as pigs, sheep, horses or cattle. I can see their shadows, but not the resource. Also, I saw the game on a "real" computer and saw that there was wave motion at the shore line. I do not have wave motion at the shore line.

One final note, when nearing what I call the International date line, I can see what is on the other side of the line. When I arrive at the line, the terrain/water turns black until I explore it.

Anyone know of a fix for these problems? I did try a search, but couldn't find an answer.

ok, so i've tried everything on my system to get this game to run smoth, then i came here to see if there was anything. i tried googling the tweaking nvidia shaders on rivia tuner and get nothing. i've overclocked a 6800 to a 6800gt with rivia tuner a few months back and have no idea how to turn the 3.0 shaders to 1.1 like everyone else so i havent tried that. i've tried multiple things including the following:

setting the program's affinity to one cpu, setting the graphics on high and low (same problem), turning off cool 'n' quiet, uninstalling and reinstalling cpu driver, updated everthing, reformated, overclocked and non overclocked the cpu and memory, tried different memory timings, tried different computer parts, tried a lot of things that i cant think of right now.

specs of the computer and extras i have are:
windows xp x64 pro and windows xp pro
abit-an8-sli bios 19 and the one i'm not using right now is a evga sli mobo that came with one of my video cards
amd64 x2 3800+
2x80g WD 7200rpms raid 0
2x 7800gt, one evga and the other xfx tried sli too
sound blaster audigy
2gigs of crosair value select + 2 more gigs for spares.

i've learned a few things after upgrading to a dual core cpu but this game has been driving me nuts. when i first played it worked fine on high graphics and 4xAA, after 8 hours of non stop playing it started going slow. then i would restart the game and it would play for like 5 mins then start going slow again, lowered the graphics, it went up to 2 mins of game time then sluggish stuff. after restarting a few times and trying again and again, it stayed for a while but once i minimized, it lags. i'm thinking either it's my cpu or my ram or that nvidia shader thing but i doubt it's any of my hardware since i've tried different parts and after it lags and i try to play another high end game i get over 100fps with no lag what so ever. could it be because i'm using 64 bit? i'm gonna buy the ddr437 crosair ram soon for overclocking and stuff so i'll soon find out if it's my cheap ram. if any one can link me to a guide on how to change the vertex shaders i'll be happy till i get this thing fixed :3

I just got the game and I'm having a hard time getting the directX installed. It says that the folder can't be trusted, what does that mean? Is there some setting on my computer that isn't allowing it?

The problem I'm having is that when I go to launch the game, it starts to launch but after a few seconds a message comes up saying it has encountered a problem and needed to close and asks me to send an error report. I've tried doing what the 2k games site says to do, but it still doesn't work so I'd appreciate any help!

van der sar said:
The problem I'm having is that when I go to launch the game, it starts to launch but after a few seconds a message comes up saying it has encountered a problem and needed to close and asks me to send an error report. I've tried doing what the 2k games site says to do, but it still doesn't work so I'd appreciate any help!
You need to privide more information than just that.

What OS, service packs, videocard, memory size, did you apply patch 1.52 to Civ IV?

imperialmog said:
I just got the game and I'm having a hard time getting the directX installed. It says that the folder can't be trusted, what does that mean? Is there some setting on my computer that isn't allowing it?
I think we tackled that one in another thread. *wanders of to find links*

Ah, please see: http://ask-leo.com/a_cabinet_file_cannot_be_trusted_why.html

Also, this in comments might help: CAUSE- These issues may indicate that a component of Windows XP that processes digital signatures is damaged.

To resolve this behavior, re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files. To do so, follow these steps: 1.Click Start, and then click Run. 2.In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK. 3.At the command prompt, type regsvr32 softpub.dll, and then press ENTER. 4.Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded. 5.Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll. 6.Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.

Follow these items and make sure to report back what worked and what didn't.

erpcon said:
@Zydor: Was this directed to me (erpcon)? If so, how do I obtain a dxdiag file?
Start > Run > dxdiag and in the end use save all information.

Top Bottom