[FIXED] Helicopter gunships can capture cities`

mantis2007

Chieftain
REPRO STEPS

1. Attack a weakened city with a helicopter gunship.

2. The city is captured.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR

2. The city is weakened further, but cannot be captured by the helicopter.

One of the unit characteristics of the helicopter gunship is an inability to capture cities. This appears to be broken.

I can confirm capturing a city with a Gunship my brother has done it as well. However I don't know that this isn't intended. I don't have access to the Civpedia ATM but in the manual I don't see anything that would indicate that gunships are not supposed to be able to capture cities.

Here is what the manual says.

Air Units
There are five main types of air units in Civilization V: helicopter gunships, missiles, fighters,bombers, and anti-air ground units. Helicopter gunships are the closest to standard groundcombat units and will be discussed separately.

Of the air units, missiles are essentially “one-shot” weapons: you fire ‘em, they hit their targetand they’re gone. Fighters are primarily used to defend against enemy air power and toclear the target of interceptors to allow bombers to hit their targets. Bombers do damage totargets on the ground, if not intercepted. Anti-air units defend against fighters and bombers.

Helicopter Gunships
As stated above, helicopter gunships are quite similar to standard land units. They are extremely effective at killing tanks, but remain vulnerable to anti-aircraft fire.

Gunship Movement
Gunships can move over all terrain types including mountains and ice, at a cost of 1 MP
each. They can also move over coastal waters at the same price. They cannot enter deepwater unless they embark.

Anti-Tank Bonus
Gunships can do serious damage to tank units (which is why most armor is accompanied byhefty anti-air assets on the modern battlefield).

The capturing cities section also didn't seem to have anything to indicate they couldn't do that. Does the Civpedia entry say something to that effect or are we just assuming they aren't supposed to because they didn't in Civ IV

One of the little red icons in the Helicopter Gunship's attributes panel signifies a trait for "unable to capture cities." The red icon also appears in the Civlopedia entry for the Helicopter. In both places (the attribute panel for a currently selected Helicopter and in the Civlopedia) you have to hover your mouse over the red icon to see the text stating the fact that Helicopters can't capture cities.

I agree that this text should appear more prominently.

This is definitely a bug -- if the designers intend for Helicopters to take cities, then they should remove the red icon and the text. Otherwise, they have to fix the behavior.

Civilopedia entry about Helicopter Gunship says they are unable to capture cities.
This doesn't work as intended because actually gunships CAN capture cities, I did it several times in my game, there is a screenshot:
(I had just captured "Grand River" city with a gunship)

I had a helicopter attack, defeat and capture a city. He was level 5-6 maybe it was the upgrades, but there you have it.

Endgame of a domination game as Mongolia vs Inca. First I bought a gunship in a city w/ barracks/et al and it prompted me to promote the ship despite it being definitionally not a land unit. Later, I had the gunship on a mountain hex next to the incan city which I had pelted with artillery, and I clicked to attack it (to do more damage for when the infantry arrived) and it took the city. Is the Gunship bugged?

First I bought a gunship in a city w/ barracks/et al and it prompted me to promote the ship despite it being definitionally not a land unit.

As far as the game is concerned, the gunship is a land unit (it just has the hover promotion). The only true air units in the game are those that require basing: planes and missiles.

Later, I had the gunship on a mountain hex next to the incan city which I had pelted with artillery, and I clicked to attack it (to do more damage for when the infantry arrived) and it took the city. Is the Gunship bugged?

Please check the bug list before posting a bug. This is a known bug, and indeed, was among one of the earliest bugs reported: "Helicopter gunships can capture cities".

FYI. Even though <NoCapture> is in the Civilopedia as "Cannot Capture Cities", in reality, it is programmed as the ability to not capture workers. If you run a chopper over a worker, he will disappear and not be captured...

This can be removed from the list. 1.0.1.217 helicopters can no longer capture cities.

Old topic but if u google "civ 5 can helicopter capture city" then the first answer will be this topic with text "Helicopter gunship CAN capture cities" so it is annoying...
So my point was that it's misleading and someone should change the name.

Top Bottom