[FIXED] No leader animations??

TPQ

Cogito Ergo Civ
Hi,

After sorting out my initial issues with G&Ks, I can now actually play the game, but for some reason I'm not getting any leader animations? The leader screen pops up as usual, with all the expected options, the leader voice plays, the text appears, but the leader image is static, with no animations.

The lack of leader animations is true for all leaders, not just the new G&Ks leaders.

While it's not a massive deal to not have leader animations, I would like them as I've always had them and enjoy them.

Is there a setting I'm missing here, or is this a legitimate bug?

I have done the usual Steam verify file integrity stuff. Also, all my drivers are up to date.

Has anybody else experienced an unexpected lack of leader animations? Is there a setting or other solution I can attempt?

Thanks for your help.

Did you check the graphics settings? Before getting my new video card in, I had set most of stuff on low and got the static screens as well. Now that I can play on high (tho it works on medium as well), they are animated again.

Did you check the graphics settings? Before getting my new video card in, I had set most of stuff on low and got the static screens as well. Now that I can play on high (tho it works on medium as well), they are animated again.

Change your graphics settings in the options menu.

Thanks to both of you for replying.

Here are my settings. Using DX9 (as you can tell from my Sig details)

I use the same settings I used before the update & expansion.

Leader animations worked before G&Ks and the .674 base game patch.

Your help is very much appreciated :) .

Maybe try setting them all to something different, quit, restart, then set them all back to what they were, quit, then restart again,.
Thanks for your reply. You were correct. I switched off the setting which automatically sizes the interface and set it as "use small scale interface" and now the animations work perfectly. :)

Medium should be fine, minimum is where you get the frozen screens. I have no idea, sorry.
Thanks for trying to help anyway. Turning off auto-scale interface and selecting "small scale" interface" fixed it. ;)

Moderator Action: Moved to tech support.

As reported here (in German), this is caused by a too stressed graphics card. Turn the settings down (to low), then it should hopefully work again.
Thanks for your reply. I turned off 'auto-scale interface' and switched on "small scale interface" (no other settings were changed) and this fixed the leader animations so now they all work. Not sure how this could affect the graphics card, but please suggest it in the German thread in case it helps the people there as it did for me. :)

Also, please edit my thread title to include "Fixed" so other people can see the fix that worked for me. Thanks J :)

Thanks for your reply. I turned off 'auto-scale interface' and switched on "small scale interface" and this fixed the leader animations so now they all work. Not sure how this could affect the graphics card, but please suggest it in the German thread in case it helps the people there as it did for me. :)

Will do so :).

Also, please edit my thread title to include "Fixed" so other people can see the fix that worked for me. Thanks J :)

Done :).

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to leave here how I fixed that problem, after struggling for hours, for ppl that encounter this problem in the future (if you are using windows xp sp3)

In C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My docs\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5 (path is not exactly like this, I translated the folders name from my language to english), there will be a file called "GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini".

Open it with notepad. There will be a line like this:

; Reduction of leader texture size (0=full size, 1=half size, 2=quarter size)
LeaderTextureReduction = 0

change it to LeaderTextureReduction = 2.

I changed it to from 0 to 2, and from 2 to 0 more than once and yes, that is definetively what was causing the leader to freeze and unfreeze (changing to 1 won't work too). (btw if you mess with video options in the game, it may make this setting go back to 0, and you will have to edit the .ini again)

Now... if someone knows... why can't I use half or full size textures for leader screen? thats very odd, my computer spec is not that bad.
My computer has 3Gb of system RAM
My Video Card is a geforce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2Gb.
Why would I not be able to use full or half textures for leaders?

In today's standards, XP and only 3GB memory places a lot of stress on both the video card and the hard drive. You can be thankful, the video just freezes and does not crash the system. Windows 7, and 8 GB, with a decent Graphics card is pretty well worked with this game.

The above fix that scales the size of the interface may also set the LeaderTextureReduction to 2.

In today's standards, XP and only 3GB memory places a lot of stress on both the video card and the hard drive. You can be thankful, the video just freezes and does not crash the system. Windows 7, and 8 GB, with a decent Graphics card is pretty well worked with this game.

The above fix that scales the size of the interface may also set the LeaderTextureReduction to 2.

When I say that the leader freezes, I mean that he is replaced by a picture and is not animated, sorry for the confusion.

But yup, maybe it has to do with the system ram as you say. But it's odd because I'm playing on a small map and the game plays totally smoothly. I don't get freezes in the middle of the game due to lack of RAM. This game never crashed on me. The only problem I had was with the leader screen.

The fix that scales the interface only changed the interface, it unfortunately did not work for me.

Top Bottom