Flag Switching Utility

gnome

Warlord
Bringing together Bad Ronald's flags for Warlords and King Kongs flags for BTS, with alternate versions.

This utility is run between Civ sessions and will allow you to change to alternate versions of any civ that has them. Playing the Celts and annoyed by England's Union Flag? Change it to the St. George Cross. Stalin looks odd waving the modern Russian flag? Switch it to the Soviet Union flag. Or choose between KK or BR's flags for your favorite Civ.

Customized primarily for BAT mod 2.0, but should work with other mods and vanilla if installed correctly.

Suggestions, corrections, or new flags welcome!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13394
Updated to version 1.1.2! See file for changelog--but currently there are only changes to the python file itself for minor bugfix.

Since I am updating the file, I am copying in the original discussion comments.

Sep 28, 2009 at 07:40 PM
Highwayhoss said:
Oh this is something I've been wishing for a long time; being able to choose a flag without tedious XML editing.

Sep 30, 2009 at 09:08 PM
The Capo said:
Is there a thread for this? If not I have a couple of questions. Can I set this for a specific mod? Am I limited to one alternate flag for each civ, or can I have more than one? If so can they be different, can England have four and America two? Also is there any way to switch colors around with this or only the flags? Thanks.

Oct 01, 2009 at 11:34 AM
gnome said:
There is a thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=336979

To answer your questions:

It's usable with any mod but the FPK file containing the flags is set up for BAT Mod 2.0 (which I highly recommend). If you're not using that MOD, instead you would download all the flags from these threads:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=194319
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8282826
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...70#post7095770

Make sure that all the .DDS files are in the appropriate ART\INTERFACE\TEAMCOLOR folder, whether that be in the CUSTOM ASSETS hierarchy or the ART\INTERFACE\TEAMCOLOR folder of your mod.

Currently it just uses these, and there are some civs that have more than one alternate flag. To use different DDS files than these would require modifying the flagsBTS.py... but it isn't that difficult. The python code seems to be able to handle any number of alternate flags.

I haven't included color changing or button changing with this, just the flags.

Oct 01, 2009 at 09:58 PM
Vortilex said:
Now I can change the flag of the Incas to their real flag: The rainbow (I'm not joking) Although the sun was their symbol, the Spaniards wrote about a square banner with the rainbow on it. The modern Cusquenian flag looks that way, but rectangular. Most tourists go there, see that, and go &c.

Oct 02, 2009 at 12:31 AM
The Capo said:
@ gnome; what if I wanted to use my own flags, but with variations for each civ. I have multiple bi-color flags for different civs in a mod and I wanted to alter this to accomodate that. Is this possible?

Oct 02, 2009 at 03:46 AM
gnome said:
You can use your own flags with it... but it will take opening up the py file and modifying the options. It's actually not so hard if you have a look. I didn't know a lick of python and was able to work with this.

@Vortilex--if you have a DDS file for it, I'd be happy to add it to the mix.

This looks very interesting. Is it possible to download any flag from the download page (in proper Civ DDS format) and import it into the game using the application?

Yes and no. Yes, any proper DDS flag can be used in the game--but this tool doesn't do the importing per se. It lets you select which among flags saved in the right folder is to be the "active" flag for each civ.

Oct 05, 2009 at 09:25 PM
Vortilex said:
Does this have the real Inca flag? The one used by the modern Cusquenians and the, erm, people who have alternative lifestyles? It's funny when Americans go to Cuzco, see that, and go, "wtf?" Plus, I think that although the Inca did use the sun a lot, their real flag was a square rainbow.

I know about that flag (partly thanks to you!) but I don't have a DDS of it. If you have one I can put it in the next version.

Oct 05, 2009 at 02:18 PM
The Capo said:
Is there a way I could use other flags instead of Bad Ronald's or King Kong's with this?

Yes, it would take only minor modifications to the .py file to use different flags.

An example:

"ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_EGYPT":("Egypt:",{​
"Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_Agypten.dds":"Eye of Horus (Speculative)",
"Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_Agypten1.dds":"Eagle of Saladin (Modern)",}),​

This is the section that sets up the options for Egypt (excuse the smilie, but when you open the file you'll understand). The bold parts determine the filename to use, and the italic parts determine the label within the tool. (unformatted in the actual py file of course)

This is in desperate need of updating, but I lack the python knowledge...

- Needs a scrollbar for shorter vertical pixel screen resolution
- Does not seem to work on latest version of Python.
- I somehow got it working on one machine (mine) but I can't get it working on any others, no matter what version of Python I install.

So anyway I offer this up (it's been something of a community project already, my contribution was mainly to compile the flags together into one mod and research the formal names of RL flags)... if anyone thinks they can make it go.

Wish List
- More flags
- Flag previews in the interface

Top Bottom