1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FlavourMod 2

Discussion in 'FfH2 Modmods, Scenarios, and Maps' started by Jean Elcard, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Tholal

Tholal Emperor

Is the climate stuff just for the Illians or do you have other plans?

Also, it might be a neat mechanic to have the Illian-caused climate changes speed up slightly as they cast each of their unique rituals.

2. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

There are some plans, but nothing mature enough to announce it here publicly. I think Valkrionn would maybe like to adopt it the other way around (desert) for his Malakim+.

Not only this, but also it should happen outside the Illian borders too, if Auric manages to ascend.

3. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Desert for Malakim, Wasteland for D'tesh (Alternate to desert, no burning lands), and ice for the White Hand religion. :lol:

4. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

This should be added to the FFH Tweakmod and base FFH.

EDIT: After realizing that this copies over the FFH folder, I am really annoyed. Previously, it just added a little button on the custom game screen, but now it requires a complete copy of FFH during the installation?!?!?!? What caused that need? Can I get around this?!?!?!?!?!

-Thanks

5. retro V

retro V Prince

I couldn't say exactly why it needs to make a full copy of the FFH2 folder, but it's probably a good thing it does. That way everyone gets to keep a backup of the original install in case of problems.

On a related note, I installed onto my FFH2 which had changes to the gameoptionsinfo.xml and handicapinfo.xml and had Turinturambar's AI modmod and, I'm pleased to say, it all works OK as far as I can tell.

6. Valkrionn

How exactly does the terrain shift work? Temp only, or moisture as well? Asking because it occured to me that this would be a perfect upgrade to the lizards...

7. Ahwaric

Ahwaric Shrubbery-hugger

Well, in short, temperature only. It changes terrain in the following path: desert<->plains<->grassland<-tundra->ice
    You can only set it to go one way or another (perfect for illians or malakim, but no one else). Also, the terrain reverts to normal form if the civ influence is removed.

But in theory, you can set the path to lead to grassland (marsh?) on the cool end, and that would work for Mazatl.

But I am anxious to try what Jean will bring with the next version :)

8. Jean Elcard

One reason for making a copy first is this post from Kael:

There were a lot of errors before making the change, because some people patched their FfH without reinstalling FlavourMod again and than wondered about strange errors and complained in the FfH bug thread.

The times where FlavourMod was only giving you Flavoured Starts via a single game option are a thing of the past for a long time already.

And last but not least, as retro V said: "That way everyone gets to keep a backup of the original install in case of problems."

And what exactly annoys you that much? The additional 700 MB disk space? That should be nothing for todays computers. If it is really a problem for you, I'm sorry, but I think it was good decison after all.

9. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

Thanks for the feedback

10. Jean Elcard

Sorry, the new climate system won't be in the next version. I really wish I had more time! But to give you a glimpse at the planned and partly implemented underlying game mechanics I've decided to give you at least a screen shot.

I know it looks complicated, but I hope it's self-explaining, what happens if you change the temperature and/or precipitation levels. The fields with red numbers are the default starting values for each type of terrain. The goal is to allow any kind of climate as a preferred climate for a civ of your choice. The terraforming processes to this climate type would then work kind of similar to the Illian one you can experience already. If you can reach the preferred climate at all or how long it will take to reach it will depend on the climate you start with and your civ's ability to change precipitation and/or temperature.

Example: The default starting values for Grass are Temperature level 2 and Precipitation level 4, which means the plot has a Humidity of 2 (Precipitation minus Temperature). Decreasing the Temperature would result in Tundra and increasing it in Plains. Decreasing the Precipitation would lead to Plains as well, but increasing it would result in Marsh. Any questions?

Attached Files:

11. Jean Elcard

Version 2.7.4 changelog:
    • Change: Compatibility to Fall from Heaven 0.41b (first BtS 3.19 version)
    • Update: Mountain Coast 1.2.0 (map script)
    • Update: Perfect World 2.03 (map script)
    Download link in the first post.

It's mainly a compatibility update. Make sure to test the new versions of cephalos's and lonkero173's map scripts, though. They are becoming better and better.

12. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

I like the chart with the temp/precipitation on it. It is a good representation.

13. Tholal

Tholal Emperor

Max heat and max moisture = desert? Seems like that would be Jungle instead.

14. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

Jungle is a feature, not a terrain type.

15. Jean Elcard

Be aware that precipitation is not meaning moisture or humidity in this simple climate model! If there is a lot of watery stuff coming down from the sky but it is all evaporating in an instant (maybe even before it is reaching the ground) because of the incredible heat in the particular area, there would certainly be desert and not a jungle. For jungle you would need at least some precipitation surplus.

16. Cylnar

Cylnar Enemy of corporatocracy

There's someplace in Africa where it's desert most of the year but at some point annually they do experience a great deal of moisture surplus. A pretty wide area becomes a temporary oasis for a few months and all the animals in that region basically depend on this phenomenon for their survival. Don't know how you'd model something like that in a game where one turn equals an entire year. Maybe if the chance to generate oases could be modified by moisture level somehow?

17. Tholal

Tholal Emperor

Fair enough. I admit that I'm nitpicking a very simplified climate model designed for a strategy game, but it just bothers me for some reason.

And yes, deserts can have rain, even thunderstorms, but they don't get a lot of rain, which is what a 10 on the precipitation row implies to me. *shrug*

(source)

18. Bad Player

Bad Player Deity

Have you considered using perfect world 2 instead of 1?

19. Cylnar

Cylnar Enemy of corporatocracy

Haven't played the new version yet (been playing Planetfall while waiting for an update on Orbis) but as of the last version there were both a PerfectWorld and a PerfectWorld 2 mapscript in the mod. Don't really know what the differences are besides PW2 doesn't list "start in old world" and "break up pangaeas" as default.

20. Valkrionn

PW2 has more under the hood improvements... although not all of them play well with FlavourMod. Needs to be edited to allow desert around Malakim for example... You'll probably have some nearby, but not your initial plot. I prefer ErebusContinent because of little things like that.