1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FML 4-Shaka

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by EMT, Mar 5, 2010.

1. EMT

EMT Hated by the Spaniards(?)

I plan on doing so as soon as I hit communism. Sankore boosting my temples has really helped my tech rate, and Communism isn't too far off. But IF there is a dogpile, they'll have to deal with Combat 4 and Woodsman III rifles :evil:

2. Yared

Yared That Guy

I think the boost you get from being Confucian is worth the risk of being dogpiled. You are far away from the rest, you control the jungle with your ridiculously strong units and you have a tech lead (I think). All you need is to build up a nice navy and then you're set.

By the time the others pose a threat, most of the world will have gone to free religion anyway...

3. EMT

4. Yared

Yared That Guy

Yeah, that's true, but at least they wont dislike you for having a different religion. Actually, considering that you're at caution with Burger King at the moment, I'd wager that you end up pleased.

5. EMT

I've played the round. At one point I was at friendly with Burger King because of the dogpile on Hatshepsut. Notable events:

-Communist Zululand
    -Destruction of Egypt
    -Zulu protectorate over Aethiopia and Somaliland
    -Raging hordes of Kongolese brutes
    -I hate how rich and luxurious Asia is. I'd trade half of Zululand for Indonesia :cry:
    -Wet dream of any Russian nationalist, Russia extends from Sudan and Kuwait all the way to Kyrgizstan and as far west as Poland. Meanwhile, the Far East remains basically Russian land-guaranteed. No competition for that land to speak of. God I hate Stalin >>

6. Yared

Yared That Guy

Keep 'em coming.

7. EMT

Gladly :D
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Part 7: The Zulu Revolution.........A Man of Revolution?

For many centuries, Zulu city had radically changed. When before there had been peasant farmers and small villages, Zulu cities had become bustling metropolises and centers of world trade and politics. Zulu fashion, art, and culture dominated the world. No one expected the revolt that was going to occur. It is understandable, though, why the Zulu peasants revolted. They formed 85% of the population yet owned only 10% of the national wealth. The city dwellers and the church combined owned the remaining 90% of Zulu wealth(Shaka Zulu owned all of the wealth, as the King of Zululand, of course). Small uprisings occurred monthly, and soon, a philosopher by the name of Nelson Mandela revolutionized these revolts by forming the first profound economic theory in history. He would lead the Zulu people in a revolt that would only gain tide. Nelson Mandela was a city dweller that had long sympathized with the peasants, coming from a peasant family himself. In a revolutionary haze that lasted months, Nelson planned out a society where all would be equal. Nelson Mandela had written 'Communism for Dummies'.

The revolts quickly spread all over the country, and Shaka's hand was forced. He assembled the army and began to hunt for all revolutionaries. No one was to be killed, only jailed. Even Shaka realized that losing 85% of the population would have serious repercussions. However, one unit got a little bit trigger-happy. Nelson Mandela died, and he became a martyr. The revolts only rose in number and became more and more violent. Pragmatic Shaka joined the peasants as the leader and heir of Mandela, who's death was honored forevermore in Zululand. His death would bring the glorious rise of Communist Zululand. Shaka assumed the title of Supreme Comrade, and was henceforth known as Comrade Stalin. Without him, the old monarchial semi-representative government collapsed, and he declared freedom of religion and began a persecution of the Zulunda faith that would infamously be known as 'The Black Terror', and not just because of the skin color of the average person in Zululand. Men dressed and covered from head to toe in black died lionhide would roam the country serving as Shaka's private police, desecrating and murdering all Zulunda priests that refused to comply. The church was essentially putty in the comrade's hand.

The revolt had desecrated the tomb of Shaka's brother beyond repair, and Shaka abandoned the project. Shaka sold off all of the marble at record low-prices, skewing Arabian and English markets for decades. It was a true shame, as experts estimated the project less than days off of completion when the revolution began.

However, Communism soon proved a boon to the Zulu people as farming and labor quickly became organized and cities grew larger. Shaka's scientists soon discovered steel and it's applications for siege. The first cannons would be made from Trebuchets that the young general from Madagascar had proposed, refitted and basically entirely scrapped save for the Zulu flag. Shaka did not expect to have a use for the cannons, as there was no immediate threat forthcoming from Egypt. Cannons would soon prove their worth faster then Shaka would anticipate....

During these decades of revolution and reform, Shaka had plotted a massive spy network to better infiltrate the nations of the north. What he had not expected was to discover the secrets of Astronomy from a backwards tribe near the Gold Coast! Shaka was amazed, but the comrade knew full well that the Zulu originated near Timbuktu and it was only natural that the people from there be technologically advanced. He showed no mercy to any barbarians fool enough to attempt invasion, however.

Shaka, realizing that a palace would not serve his needs any longer if he was to remain chairman of ZCP(Zulu Communist Party) and Supreme Comrade, decided to build a new capital in the politically neutral city of kwaDakuza. It combined Arabian and Russian designs, adding yet another side of flavor to the multicultural timebomb that was kwaDakuza.

The city of Emangwani was founded in 1665AD to ward off Egyptian aggression from the Western side of Lake Zulu. Shaka had long been preparing a minor invasion force to deal with Hatshepsut's final cities, but time was ticking, and Thebes soon fell to the Russian juggernaut.

Hatshepsut, down to one city, was practically groveling for mercy from the Zulu invasion, begging Stalin to be accepted as a vassal of his own. Stalin, seeing the writing on the wall, offered her a game of Russian Roulette. Should he lose, she would become a vassal of Russia under Beria, his successor. Should she lose, Egypt will belong to Zululand. Regardless to say, Stalin cheated and Russian Roulette remained something only Russians will play, for only Russians know how to rig the revolver. After capturing the last Egyptian stronghold, Shaka ordered the rebuilding of the city to the east of the elephant hordes that migrated through the city on yearly basis.

So ends the final years of absolute Zulu dominance, and other nations would soon begin to attain footing with the Zulu in technology, culture, and size. Africa had been invaded, and Shaka vowed to free the Nile from being polluted by barrels of Vodka.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some photos of the world:

My settling plans for Ethiopia/Somalia

Central Africa and the Northern Kongo

Western Africa, and the site of Timbuktu

Southeastern Asia(trade please)

Indonesia(No, really, trade please)

Eastern Indonesia and the Southern Shakappines

Western Frankia

Eastern Frankia

The Nile River Valley

The Levant

Central Russia

As you can see, Asia is unfairly full of resources, and Russia is waayyyyyy too big.

Attached Files:

8. Yared

Yared That Guy

Russia is indeed huge. How long until infantry?

9. EMT

Let's see......I'm at school but off the top of my head, I can go Steam Power->Economics(Do I even have this yet?)->Corporation->Assembly Line. From there, Railroads->Combustion->Industrialism(?) and run over Russian longbows? All I know is, I need a crapload more workers. My souther Kongo cities are filler atm, although I'm basically just farming CG3 Muskets there :p

10. Yared

Yared That Guy

:lol: Yeah, add those 30+ cities (there'll probably be more by that time) to your empire!

11. EMT

That bastard is founding anew city every 5 turns [pissed]

That's either A LOT of workers, or Stalin is going to CRASH very soon(I hate AI bonuses being unfair crap rather than improved AI). As long as he expands more into Central Asia and not Africa, he can expand all he likes. For some reason, the AI has an enathema for expanding into Turkey. Meanwhile, I may just decide to watermill spam the Kongo and go on a mass cavalry rampage........the only problem is I don't even have stupid horses. The nearest horses are in North Africa :(

12. Yared

Yared That Guy

Trade Ivory + Gems for horse?

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I'm around 1600 AD now too. TBH, these giant earth maps are a bit boring with 50293846723904857239048048673904857023948573049287 land tiles and 6 civs, and the fact that it is counted as a "standard" map makes things even worse.

I'll probably go space, and the pathetic AI won't even come close to touching me. It's so bad I'll probably not bother with internet.

A gentle recommendation is to use the full 18 civs ;). The only way I won't win space is if I win diplo.

Edit:

Alright, I finished. A rather uninspiring 1912 space win using mostly full auto workers after the early game. Even with 53 workers, the land was barely improved by the end.

View attachment EGT AD-1911.CivBeyondSwordSave

View attachment EGT AD-1655.CivBeyondSwordSave

View attachment EGT AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave

Notes:

1. I settled in place, Ulundi finished at pop 25, easily the #1 city in the world via its culture too.

Spoiler :
    Washington died to the barbs, but he lasted until 1898 AD :ack:

3. Barb pressure basically took Stalin, Sal, and to a lesser extent hatty out of the game.

4. I was giving charlie well over 200 gold/turn at the end of the game to get resources

5. I stayed entirely in sub-saharan africa and madagascar.

6. If one were to build wealth in all cities to hike the slider, my end empire could probably approach 6000 BPT, but the lack of trades and slow earlygame still gave me a late finish time.

7. The final civics and corp choice were pretty unconventional.

14. EMT

I was going to, but then I remembered GEM+18 civs=Hell for my laptop. Maybe the next one though, seeing as I have a desktop with 6gb of RAM now as well :p. I've played the round, smooth sailing for the most part, Shaka annexed his Somaliopian protectorate into Zululand being the most notable event, and that I've decided to beeline for the SoL, but I have hit railroads, of course. :D

15. EMT

PART 8: A Man of Grace-The End of Zulu Domination

While Zulu military advantage comparatively slowed over the years, while knowing full well how to make more advanced riflemen, Shaka decided to ignore military research, knowing full well that it could cost him later. Shaka's scientists, full of Red Nationalism, quickly made progress in making the life of the average man easier. Around this point, the idea of building a massive dam in the Kongo basin was proposed. The massive lakes of Zululand would provide the power needed to fuel industrialization, and Zululand would be the first, and debatably the only nation to ever industrialize.

Shaka, fearing expanded Russian influence within Africa, chartered a new city near the ruins of Egypt's final holdout of Vilcabamb........wait, wrong empire. Regardless, the new city would be a fabulously wealthy location, accessing many luxurious resources that would prove a boon to the Zulu economy.

For decades, the special relationship between Frankia and Zululand had grown, and upon declaring himself religiously neutral, Shaka received the full benefits of Frankish friendship. Fearing a possible strike from the aggressive Russian lunatic, Shaka signed a defensive agreement with the Franks. Frankia too had a defensive pact with Russia, meaning any aggression by either side would cause world war.

Meanwhile, the strangest oddity to ever occur happened. The Kongo Mountains would become famous for strange truffles that would spring out of the mountains themselves. Scientific attempts have not been able to replicate the growth of truffles in any other location, climate, or terrain similar to the Kongo Mountains. This site would be a center of Zulu tourism for many years to come as the working class took their vacation hours around the country.

2 more Zulu settlements would soon be founded, blocking off Zululand's Eastern Africa protectorate from any possible settlements by any other nation. These cities, like the Congo cities, would be cities only in name for centuries to come.

More innovations continued to occur as Steam and Coal where combined into an engine, and the engine led to electricity. Shaka's working class was massively conscripted into the building of rails throughout the Zulu Communist Ikhanda Republic, connecting all cities and resources with each other.

Shaka finalized the annexation of his Somaliopian protectorate in the ZCIR by founding a city on top of the ancient tribal ground of Mogadishiu. For centuries, barbarians had wandered out of Somalia and Ethiopia, harassing ZCIRian Kenya, but no more. Zulu expansion in the northeast was completed shortly before the 19th century would dawn on Zululand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, here we have it. At this point, I'm thinking, beeline Space. Anything else seems unlikely and diplo would simply be handing over victory to Stalin, with his massive population. :p

Attached Files:

16. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

So Asia is empty? Man, Stalin really does have his work cut out for him! Yeah, It's really sad how bad this land is, but you do get all of it (Once the Nile falls under the proper control)

17. Yared

Yared That Guy

I didn't know there were horse in eastern Africa! Well there you go.

You just got western Africa to settle.

18. EMT

Well, overrunning Stalin on one hand........finish settling the rest of Africa on the other. I DO have a tech advantage and setting out some MGs on the Sinai for Stalin to suicide against could be fun :p

19. Fatblob

Fatblob Chieftain

England has some wierd obsession with caravels but so far I've been doing OK, not used to this strat.

20. Yared

Yared That Guy

Stalin is in WHEOOHRN mode, so you'd better get a force ready to capture his African cities, and then post an MG on Sinai :D I'm looking forward to seeing it.

How strong could a CGIII MG get on a hills/fort? 20% + 25% + 30% + 50%?