For the Civilization - World of Warcraft Mod

TreeSpawned

Chieftain
For the Civilization

So I spend some time in the last couple of weeks to build my own Civ IV mod with Warcraft civilizations and I would love to share it with you guys. But I have to admit, this is my first time modding anything so I am really grateful for any feedback you guys can give me.

I held back an releasing this sooner as I was constantly working on this mod over the last couple of weeks, adding a couple of civilizations every week and I didn't want to have to update the mod every few days. As of now I will probably take a little break from development and come back later, therefore I release to you version 1.0 of “For the Civilization!”

What it contains
  • 22 Civilizations and 35 Leaders from World of Warcraft
    • All 13 default playable races
    • All 8 allied races
    • Plus the Scourge
  • A translation in both English and German.
  • The religions have been altered to be those of Warcraft
  • The names for the barbarian towns have been replaced with the names of humanoid enemies from Warcraft like Murlocs or Kobolds
  • The names of all great people have been replaced with people from Azeroth
  • The symbols for all technologies have been replaced with icons from World of Warcraft
I am planning on adding a couple more races down the line and I will definitely add all new playable races that Blizzards adds to WoW.
As of now I am not planning on doing any 3D modeling.
I also don't want to add any leaders that were important in the RTS-Games but aren't important in or were already dead at start of World of Warcraft.

You can get it here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/for-the-civilization/

Nice!

But for the real Warcraft feeling you will need custom Warcraft units, buildings, improvements and so on, otherwise it is quite immersion breaking.
I have no idea how hard it is to convert WC3 models to Civ4, but I know that there are a lot.

Maybe you could start assembling a team
Spoiler :

Hi Zeta,

thanks a lot for your reply.

Yeah I thought about those 3D Models myself, but I have to admit that I have zero experience with 3D modelling and do not really have the time to spare right now to learn it all. If someone were to do this It wouldn't me.

I also have to say I am quite content with how the mod turned out and that I have basically reached and surpassed my personal goals with this project (this is my first mod after all).
What I am definitely going to do is add all the upcoming playble races when they are announces (perhaps Vulpera or Mechagnomes) and I am also working on changing all of the technology quotes from Civ into quotes from WoW. But I have trouble finding a quote for every tech.

About this "team assembly" I might not be the right man for that, as I simply know no one from this forum or anyone else capable of programming Civ mods, sorry.

thats nice man,
in all civ4 i dont recall a warcraft mod,
so cool,
but like said,
better add units, it is barren without some ambient unit atmosphere,
you dont have to create from scratch, there are tons of fantasy models, just take ffh and take units from there, as well as other mods.
merging xml units is easy an im sure you can do so.

also, highly recommend to use kmod dll mod platform as a better ai mod.

good luck.

Hi Keldath, thanks a lot for your nice reply.
I willl see what I can do about that, these are definitely some good hints. As I said though, I currently don't have that much time to spare for this project and am kind of in the process of taking a break from development. But I will get back to this sooner or later.
One thing, that is still bothering me though, is that I couldn't figure out how to change some of the religion symbols. Namely the one for a religion, that hasn't been discovered yet in the religious adviand the symbol next to cities or leaderheads (that has as a * if it's the holy city). Does anyone here know how to change either of those two symbols?

Thanks again for your help Keldath. I figured out how to change the religion symbols next to the leaders and cities and will release this in the next version.

I also though about the 3D Models you mentioned. I decided that, for the time being, I will not replace every unit of a race with different 3D Models. I simply am not a fan of this. I saw it in some other mods and they always look so clunky, while the default Civ 4 Models look better in comparison.

But I might do this instead: Make the unique unit of each race have a different model. I mean that is what the unique units in the non-modded game have aswell. When I will eventually get to it, I will look into those fantasy models you suggested and give the unique unit of the orcs an orcish model and the one of the blood elves and elvish model etc.
But that is definetly not coming in the next version I am planning, but perhaps in the version after that.

Top Bottom