Foreign Affairs and Intel Office

:eek: Moving a unit is an irreversible move, and as such considered as playing ahead. That's a big :nono:

I'll wait to hear what DaveShack has to say about this...

Why then did DS say in order to find out if a Civ will trade that you should do it over the ocean so as not to reveal unfounded resources and such? This is also an irreversal move is it not. My old D-games you could do whatever you want as long as you do not press enter (play ahead of the save). I will need a more clear explanation of the play ahead rules before I can fulfill my duties as foreign advisor.

those gems makes her start ridiculously awesome

Yes she is loaded and once she gets calender she will have a dye city also. :mad: . She must be destroyed before then.

Well, the reason a "proposed" deal can be made in between turns is so the Trade Advisor can do his job. Originally, this Advisor was the only one to do it just so he could keep the President and the public informed. But eventually, everyone was doing it and it was looked at with a blind eye.

I'm guessing the reason DaveShack has you center over the Ocean is because icons pop up during a deal propositon and it's best not to know the locaions of unknown resources until you learn of them legitimately. But, then again, I don't own CIV.

As far as the explorer goes, I am not sure why it still had 2 moves left, but those 2 moves weren't used in the turn session. As you are looking at turn session information only and not turn session information plus some, it might be a good idea not telling people you accidenly moved a player that had extra moves left. ;)

Thanks for the info Cyc, though I did not accidently move the scout. I thought it was within the rules to do so. I will refrain from moving units in the future, though I think it is far more ridiculous to outlaw unit movement and not trades. I think there should be a more definite rule. Either you can or cannot make irreversable moves. To allow some and not others takes away from the purpose of the rule and leads to confusion.

After I advised checking trades over ocean to not reveal where resources are, it was pointed out that the "what will you take / give for this" button is reliable. So it's not always necessary to check a trade by actually making it. That's something I didn't know about Civ4. In Civ3 you could change the suggested deal and get away with it, but in Civ4 the AI's seem to tell you exactly what they'll take. Peace treaties are still an exception, there doesn't seem to be any way to find out if peace will be accepted without actually making it. Though if someone knows how to do that, hopefully they'll educate us.

As for moving units, we don't allow that, but the most important aspect is what is done with the information. If it were splashed everywhere or used to political advantage that would be a problem, but if not widely known then it's a tree falling in the woods -- did it make a sound? But, not moving is still the best policy.

To be honest the only reason I looked in this thread was to see if the new post was about Caesar of the Inca. ;)

OK got it on the rule, they are just a little different from what I am used to.

To be honest the only reason I looked in this thread was to see if the new post was about Caesar of the Inca.

I just got back from a fishing trip so I have alot of post reading to do. Also have to catch up on my business now that I'm back on land. So it'll be a few days before I can get back to my duties.

As for moving units, we don't allow that, but the most important aspect is what is done with the information. If it were splashed everywhere or used to political advantage that would be a problem, but if not widely known then it's a tree falling in the woods -- did it make a sound? But, not moving is still the best policy.

For the record, the first move I made in the TC after this, I moved the scout to exactly the same position, trying to minimize the problem.

It really is no big deal if you do it inadvertently, just try to avoid it :)

Though if someone knows how to do that, hopefully they'll educate us.

I believe you can tell from there "expression" if they look angry then no if they look, not happy maybe, but less likely to bite your head off then they will accept it, although that way isn't 100% fool proof

Lord Civius: Don't worry it happens to us all. :)

I believe you can tell from there "expression" if they look angry then no if they look, not happy maybe, but less likely to bite your head off then they will accept it, although that way isn't 100% fool proof

Lord Civius: Don't worry it happens to us all. :)

It's quite well possible to see what an AI is willing to give you for peace. I believe "what will you give us for peace" on the tradescreen, or something, will make them give an offer, and you can change it and ask what would make this deal work. Or something like that. It's possible anyway.

It's quite well possible to see what an AI is willing to give you for peace. I believe "what will you give us for peace" on the tradescreen, or something, will make them give an offer, and you can change it and ask what would make this deal work. Or something like that. It's possible anyway.

But i don't think that is the absolute limit of what they can give you, so thats good to get a idea what you can get, but you can push for more sometimes, depending on the AI

But i don't think that is the absolute limit of what they can give you, so thats good to get a idea what you can get, but you can push for more sometimes, depending on the AI

I believe you can, you just have to try it a few times.

We're currently assigning 0 espionage to Augustus, that seems fine to me.

I have manipulated the AI by asking him "what will make this work?" on many occassions, trying to see what the best deal available is...but this doesn't always work, and allot of the flexibility depends on how much they like you or fear you.

As to espionage...the only AI we need worry about right now are Lincoln and Hatty. Once we are at war with Hatty and things look like we will be able to take her out, then we should focus most of our espionage on Lincoln.

OK guys I am back in full force now. I haven't had a chance to look at either of the saves I missed but I will tonight. There is quite a bit I missed so if my instructions reflect my ignorance of recent events don't hesitate to let me know.

We can trade Code of Laws and Alphabet for Calendar and 30 gold with Hathseput. Seems like a good deal to me.

As to espionage...the only AI we need worry about right now are Lincoln and Hatty. Once we are at war with Hatty and things look like we will be able to take her out, then we should focus most of our espionage on Lincoln.

I agree and this is the reason I have left all EP's on Lincoln every turn of my instructions so far. We will soon begin building courthouses and will have a little more to work with. Seeing Lincolns research is my top priority and will be unless circumstances warrant a change in strategy.

We're up Currency on everyone but Churchill, and Civil Service on everyone. That's good. Civil Service gives us a bit of a headstart on Liberalism, and is a generally strong tech.

We're down Calendar, Metal Casting, Monotheism on most. We're researching Metal Casting though, and will have it soon. Monotheism is a cheap peace of crap that isn't really worth researching. We can trade Priesthood + Horseback Riding + Meditation for Calendar with Churchill, which is a good deal IMO, because all these techs are already rather well known around the world. So, we're rather up to par to most civs. Some have aesthetics or compass, or some other useless techs, but that doesn't really matter.

But we're also down Feudalism and Philosophy on Lincoln. Philosophy makes him a major competitor for Liberalism, and Feudalism means he has great defences now. I think Lincoln will be our main competitor. And I suggest trying to take him out after we're done with Hatsheput.

I apologize for my inactivity lately but RL issues were overwhelming me. I now have more time to dedicate to the D-Game. I am requesting however to be replaced as Sr. Diplomat. I have neglected my duties for too long and don't deserve such a highly regarded position. Besides I have decided to devote my time to the RP side of things for a while.

Sorry I forgot to post this here too.

Top Bottom