1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FOTH-01 It's a Wiki, Wiki World!!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by FoolontheHill, Oct 3, 2006.

1. FoolontheHill

FoolontheHill Head Stooge

1240bc to 900bc (played 11 turns to get us on an even number). If there are no objections, let's go with 10 turn sets from here on out.

1240BC - Confuscianism FIDL. That seems a little early to me, but oh well.

1200BC to 900BC were quiet turns for our little empire. Basically eye gouging anyone who dared to enter our lands. I refused a few open borders requests as it appears we have the western part of the island to ourselves. I placed our third city in a spot to seal off our area, for a while at least. May want to think about cancelling open borders with England to keep them out until we can solidify our hold on the land.

There was no chance at the gems/horse city to the south east. When I opened the save, there was already a yellow border there. England and Korea have also plopped cities down right on our eastern borders already. Going to be crowded I think.

I gave another dot map a shot. Since the original commerce city from douglas' is out of play now. I thought I would throw out an alternative. I went ahead and settled the yellow dot in 975BC (it was a lovely home for Haithaisn (sp?)). The English already have a city encroaching on its borders as well.

Also, things were quiet right after the founding, so I set our newly built chariots east to bust fog and explore and then up pops a warrior and archer north of our new city. Baru may have his hands full next set. Sorry about that. :blush:

We did lose one archer to a warrior during the set. Other than that, it was just an experience gathering party.

Per the variant, on the last turn I traded Iron Working to Hannibal for Sailing and gifted (sob) Iron Working to Huayna.

Literature will finish in five turns.

Save is attached. Happy trading!!

Updated Roster:

Foolonthehill --- Just played
    Baru --- UP!
    douglas 21 --- On deck
    Cosmichail --

2. Baru

Baru Beer Drinker

1240BC - Confuscianism FIDL. That seems a little early to me, but oh well.

I think everything is gonna come early. Since we had to share our knowledge of the Alph the it is going to be a free for all in the tech race. We have two choices in my opinion. Cut off the western frontier (good, but by sharing sailing, this could become moot) or press the borders to the east.. We have the means with the cultural buildings to stave, if not regress, the the borders that we have. Of course we still need troops to keep us in the loop, so if not the next turn then that after, and most likely the one following, we should produce anything and everything....as long as they can hold back the ignorant heathens.

Ideas are welcome. Anyone?

Woo Woo Woo Woo! Barbs to kill with the fearful ground spin! Or we may lose....my combat skills are less then......well i"m no Hannibal, and that is no history reference.

I'll play Sunday mornin' ish.

3. Baru

Baru Beer Drinker

Well well well...that was a disapointing ending. Barbs are running rampant but we managed to hold them off with minimal loses. I think once the second worker is out we should consider chopping the GW.

875 BC: The archer in Haithabu did not like the looks of a warrior follwed by an archer but the warrior fell easily and we gained a city garrison promotion so the archer that came after was no problem.
    Interrupted the library to churn out another chariot.
    Cancelled OB with Lizzy.
    Denied OB with HC.

850 BC: We gots us some literature, I went for math after that which was an iffy choice but i wanted the chopping bonus (that is math for that right?) and seeing that nobody would trade for it it might have been ok.

A couple of very hungry travellers wander into our cornfield looking for a free meal. Look they are weak from the hunger and one has actually fainted face down in the dirt. We wish we could oblige but I think it will help their modeling carrer to drop a few pounds:)

825 BC: Barracks were completed so we start on another chariot.

800 BC: Position our two chariots in the west on hills for barb patrol.

775 BC: Copper hooked up! Library is again delayed for another worker, who is going to wish there was something to read in this god forsaken town but he'll live.

750 BC: Start cottaging floodplains...all seems quiet elswhere.

725 BC: The first war of the game! Luckily we are not involved at this point.

675 BC: Wow the barbs now have nasty sharp axes.

You think we would have won that one right? No we did not, but it was the only casualty of the round. And.....the next turn.

650 BC: Monument done in the Haithabu. And off to trade we go...

No? Well thn fine you bastard here.

How about you HC?
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/82885/hc_head_hit.JPG

And so on and so on. We gave literature to everyone and received squat.

I built us a few more troops so we can defend ourselves inspired by watching a stooge episode this morning whree they join the army.
    The quote from the recruiting sign
    "Join the Army and see the world - Or what's left of It!":lol:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/82885/FOTH-01_BC-0650.CivWarlordsSave

4. FoolontheHill

Math was fine for the off beeline choice. If we are going to have any chance to chop some wonders, it is probably the best choice.

If I'm not mistaken, we did not research anything off of the beeline between alphabet and literature, so we have a left over off beeline tech from that path as well. So after math, we can choose one more offline tech and then it is on to education.

Updated Roster:

Foolonthehill ---
    Baru --- Just Played
    douglas 21 --- UP!
    Cosmichail -- On deck

5. Cosmichail

Cosmichail Dark Lord of The Sith

It's been a couple of days since posting the roster. If Douglas doesn't take it by tomorrow I will play then if that's ok FOTH. (Just noticed you are from Kentucky) Horses and bourbon. Now that's my idea of a good thing. Especially that Kentucky Bourbon.

6. Baru

Baru Beer Drinker

One thing that I completely negleted to do is to switch to slavery. If we do that then we need to whip out some workers ASAP. The land is basically virgin and we have a whole lot to do. We obviously could use another city but with only one cottage in the mix we might be inviting disaster, with a few more workers though we could remedy this before we get to 50 or 40 percent.
    Just a couple observations after the fact.

7. FoolontheHill

Yep. Go ahead and take it when you have a chance. Douglas 21 can grab it after.

Bourbon is definitely one of our claims to fame. I never really developed a taste for it though, I'm more of a :beer: fan myself. :D

8. Cosmichail

Turn 1

WK asks for war with HC decline.

Turn 2

Barb axe approaches. (villagers run to hills)
    Hanna wants OB refuse (spawning settlers no thanks)

Turn 3

Hanna really spawning just spotted a second archer/settler. We send workers to Uppsala and chop the settler before we loose iron which we will need for swords and later on in the game.

Turn 4

Barb axe attacks our axe and looses.
    We discover math.
    Going for Education as per variant which starts us off on theology->paper->education.
    Barb archer now heading for Uppsala.

Turn 5

We defend against barb archer.

Turn 6

Barb archer attacks and looses. No one wants math except HC and he won’t trade.

Turn 7

Kill barb warrior. (these pesky barbs Geez)

Turn 8

Uppsala starts a library (we need science bad)
    Settler ready and send him to the iron/stone site before Hanna snags it.
    I think about the GL but too many turns (39) and likely won’t make it so I start a barracks in Nidaros.

Turn 9

Settle Birka

Turn 10

No one wants math they all have it. Watch the barb archer heading for the copper. A chariot is nearby though and hopefully he will attack the fortified archer on the hill.

Personal observations:

We are badly in need of happy. No one will trade Monarchy which is what would make the difference. We have no happy resources and Nidaros is at happy limit of 5. Education is a long way off and we desperately need monarchy to get some growth in our cities otherwise will be capped at the other cities. Staying at 5 until Education will be a major problem and we will fall so far behind that it won’t be possible to come out of it.
    One plus we won’t have to worry about giving techs away now. The AI is teching so fast that anything we discover will be discovered already. Maybe theology is tradable and remember that Paper offers the University of Sankore so maybe consider building that for science boost. With the happy limit we can’t even consider GP’s to help us move ahead. We really don’t have a food rich enough city anyways. Good news is that we have taken some culture from Liz and got the wheat. (Hastings)

Save wise guys

9. Cosmichail

Baru,

I forgot to go to slavery however we don't have enough people in Nidaros to do that and used the axe to chop instead. FOTH or Douglas you might want to revolt to slavery.

10. Baru

Baru Beer Drinker

Also maybe chop another worker and chop up libraries as soon as we can to get the science up. With math now we should have plent of forests and if I remeber right (at work so can't check) alot of them were on grass that we can cottage. In hindsight math probably wasn't the right decision but hey 20/20.

11. FoolontheHill

We still have one tech off of the beeline that we can research, so let's make it Monarchy.

Updated Roster:

Foolonthehill --- On Deck!
    Baru ---
    douglas 21 --- UP!
    Cosmichail -- Just Played!

Hopefully douglas will have a chance to grab this one.

12. Cosmichail

That's good FOTH we need Monarchy badly.

13. douglas_21

douglas_21 Chieftain

t0-Set some cities to avoid growth
    ibt-barb archer moves on to copper tile
    t1-library chopped in uppsala
    ibt-barb archer on copper attacks chariot, wins
    barb archer attacks Haithabu, loses
    t2-Uppsala library-GL (if we don't get it we can spend the gold on 100% science for awhile)
    Our archer in the capital takes out the injured one originally on the copper
    ibt- HC comes asking...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/97855/Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

I say yes, we have a high rel. with him already.
    t3- zzz
    ibt- axe attacks haithabu, loses
    sign OB with mali, we need good trade
    t4-convert to confucianism for +1 happy
    ibt- No Inca, we won't join in your war!
    t5-Axemen->temple in Nidaros
    t6- zzz
    ibt-axe attacks haithabu, loses
    t7- Mansa Musa gets theology! :eek:
    ibt- warrior attacks haithabu, loses
    I don't think we'll get cottages up there soon with all the barbs
    t8- zzz
    t9- archer->worker in Birka
    t10- more chopping for Gl in Uppsala! 1 forest= 30 hammers or 30 gold...we need both.

Notes- We need trade routes and cottages, no more expansion or we'll get too behind. Here's a picture of current roads as solid lines and needed roads as dotted lines. No dotmap, as settlers are costly and we are generating very few beakers.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/97855/Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

Save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/97855/FOTH-01_BC-0100.CivWarlordsSave

14. Baru

Baru Beer Drinker

Totally agreed, besides the foreign route's we need infrastructure so bad I can't even express the passion I have for it. I think we should focus on the improve aspect.

15. Cosmichail

Yes my sentiments as well.

16. FoolontheHill

Good turns douglas!

Got the save, should be able to play today. I agree that it is probably time to focus on infrastructure to leverage that financial trait.

Current Roster:

Updated Roster:

Foolonthehill --- UP!
    Baru --- On Deck!
    douglas 21 --- Just Played (from swap with Cosmichail)!
    Cosmichail --

17. Baru

Baru Beer Drinker

"ibt- warrior attacks haithabu, loses
    I don't think we'll get cottages up there soon with all the barbs"

I think we can if we concentrate them to the route between the two cities. This way we should always have a counter within reaching distance plus they should be able to get home, at least at the next turn.
    If we post one troop, no matter what it is, on the hills to the north we should see a marked improvement of the decrease of the barbs from that area.

18. FoolontheHill

Sorry for the delay. :blush:

Probably won't be able to play until tomorrow. Baru if you want to go ahead, that's fine and I'll grab it after you play. Otherwise I should be able to play my set tomorrow.

EDIT: Playing now................done!

19. FoolontheHill

Very quiet set. Highlight was a barb city showing up in the far north.

After civil service, it would be a middling production city, but it would probably be good to raze it for the cash in the next few sets.

75BC - Wang asks us to declare war on Huayna. I send him on his way with an eyepoke and a hearty no. He has better luck with Elizabeth and she declares on Huayna.

50BC - Temple in Nidaris, start granary.
    Worker in Haithabu, start granary.
    Great Library BIDL, we get 170 gold.

25BC to 1 AD - :sleep:

25AD - Granary in Uppsala, start axe.

50AD - More :sleep:

75AD - Granary in Nidaros, start trading post.
    Start aqueduct in Uppsala (so we can go for the hanging gardens after).

100AD to 150AD - More, more :sleep:

Theology will finish in 1 turn. I think we should be able to trade for monarchy next turn. Try to trade for it, currency and calendar. If we get those, we can quickly start rebuilding the economy. We will also have one off beeline tech to research, metal casting is probably a good option. Make the next off beeline count because it is a looong way to education (about 100 turns at our current rate).

Need a monument in Birka as soon as the worker completes so we can hook up the stone. We probably have enough workers now so I would start building axes and chariots if we run out of improvements to build. We may get a chance to jump in the war if it spread more and some conquest cash could help keep the research up. Remember that we can come to the aid of a friend if they ask. (pleased or better relations).

Save is attached.

20. FoolontheHill

Updated Roster:

Foolonthehill --- Just played....
    Baru --- UP!
    douglas 21 --- On Deck!
    Cosmichail --