Found a new Civ4 book on Amazon

stwils

Emperor
I was looking on Amazon's website this morning and saw a new strategy guide called "Civilization 4 Playbook" by Gregory. Does anyone here have it? Is it any good?

Thanks.
stwils

I hadn't heard of this till now - the reviews on Amazon are pretty terrible. Looking at the stuff he's posted in his blog, and the excerpts on the website, I doubt the book is worth having (let alone paying for). The excerpt is padded with all kind of vague rhetoric, but contains minimal strategy.

It is not new, according to Amazon; First Edition edition (May 30, 2007)
It is also $30+ for 80 pages of very large print.
Three out of 5 people unfortunate enough to buy it rated it 1 star.

Poorly written--if edited at all it was done solely by a spell check program. Not helpful for anyone slightly familiar with the Civilization genre. Will return it ASAP even wihout a refund as I don"t want it occupying even an insignificant space on my bookshelf.

Just got this in the mail. Am sending it right back. I'm astounded. If you exclude the 'appendixes' this is what, 50, maybe 60 pages of VERY large print. Almost no content here whatsoever. This isn't even a pamphlet. And this covers CIV-IV AND the two add-ons? What a joke. The text, what little there is, is lifted nearly word for word from the gameplay manual. This is pathetic.

Perhaps, that's why it hasn't been heard of before.

Sheesh. I should bundle up my own strategy guides and sell that on Amazon. Oh, except they're already available for free here on the site, along with a host of excellent articles by other writers...

I'm amazed that there's still a market for the dead-tree strategy guides these days, frankly.

Well, there isn't a market. Mainly, because of these guys.

The only good paper strategy guide I have read was the official Microsoft one for Age of Empires II.

Sheesh. I should bundle up my own strategy guides and sell that on Amazon. Oh, except they're already available for free here on the site, along with a host of excellent articles by other writers...

I'm amazed that there's still a market for the dead-tree strategy guides these days, frankly.

Sisiutil, have you ever thought about retribution for your articles/alc ?

I'm not talking especially about financial retribution, but why not a system like "If you like my work, send me a postcard!". I wonder how much you would receive ;)

Sisiutil, have you ever thought about retribution for your articles/alc ?

I'm not talking especially about financial retribution, but why not a system like "If you like my work, send me a postcard!". I wonder how much you would receive ;)

I think the word you're looking for is "restitution", JujuLautre. ;)

Top Bottom