Fox-03 -- Trying to be Special

blid said:
I still don't know if we have to switch prod once a tech is discovered. Once we have writing, capital should change from,say barracks, to lib ?

To be true to the variant, we should. EDIT: An alternative is to pop/cash rush the current building, to make way for the new prioritized building. And I think we should limit this prioritization to city improvements only. Wonders need not be pre-empted by the newly available prioritized buildings.

Is it worth us trying to rush to settle the blue dot in this map, or just go straight for the red dot? Of course it depends on where Mr. Khan settles.

I also wouldn't mind some advice on what techs we want. If it's left to me, I'd end up going for archery or something.

Research: I would have gone writing (for trade) or Metal Casting (for forges) or Iron Working (reveal Iron). If you got the marble site, then perhaps mysticism -> Polythesim -> Priesthood for the oracle.

I think Kublai (by the way, Khan is a title, not a surname) will make the decision for you as to city location. I will placed red as more essential (I thought it used to be green :crazyeye:). Marble is just nice to have.

--

We already have BW and copper. In this situation, I usually trade for archery later and use axes to keep barbs away

We already have 2 science cities. I would go Writing

The reign of Kikinit Khan the 1st (Khan is a title not a surname :D)
(As a german civ, I guess it should be Herr Kikinit or something really).

The reign of Kikinit Khan the 1st started with his brave warriors doing some surveillance of our Northern neighbours expansion troups. They eventually settled a new city north of our capital to take advantage of five resources within it's reach.

Our previous illustrious leader, Herr blid, started putting together a worker in the capital. By the year 2240BC this worker was finally formed up and ready to roll. The capital then set about getting a settler ready to expand into our north-west before Kublai filled all the choice spots.

In the year 2200BC whilst trying to make some shapes out of mud, a bored farmer threw his handiwork into the nearby fire. Upon examining the fire the next day he found that the shapes had gone rock hard. Thus pottery was discovered. Our farmers were then ordered to work out a better way of communicating and recording ideas.

Our scouts had been out exploring our environs for thousands of years and in the year 2120BC discovered a chinese city to our East.

It was also noted that the chinese have a route to our southern peninsula and will have to be watched closely.

The scouts went deeper into Chinese territory to find that they had copper and other resources. It also seems that the continent goes further East of the chinese. Our scouts turned back before the chinese borders expanded and trapped them in the East for hundreds of years.

Our second city, Hamburg has grown in size to 3 and is already unhealthy. Steps are being taken to connect the city up the the rest of our cities, but our few workers have been busy settling new towns and connecting gold and copper up. They were severely repremanded and told to get their acts together.

In the year 1960BC, the venerable Tacitus came out with a work listing the largest civilisations in the world. Fox-03's empire came in as the 3rd largest.

The settler that Kikinit Khan had ordered started in 2240BC was finally ready to roll in the year 1920BC. Kikinit then decided that a work boat was in order to connect up the clams at the yet to be formed city of Munich.

In the year 1880BC our farmers who had trouble communicating worked out that if they put certain patterns on their clay pots that they could communicate ideas to each other. Thus was writing born and the cheers could be heard throughout the German empire. A place was needed in all cities to store all these pots for historical records and libraries were started in most cities.

Our venerable leader then decided to try and see if he could work out a way to cast the copper that was now flowing into our cities. His advisers told him that it would take over 800 years. He promptly shot his advisors and got some new ones. The new ones advised that it would be better to seek a new way of arranging the shapes on the clay pots. They advised that it would take maybe 500 years. He retorted that it was too slow and ways should be found to get the cities to contribute more to discovering this new method. They promptly knocked a few hundred years from the time.

In 1800BC the leader of the greeks, Alex sent some emissiaries to ask for open borders. Kikinit Khan decided that it was not in our interests at this present time to let the Greeks explore our territories and especially we should be protecting our southern lands from prying eyes. In 1680BC the leader of the romans came asking also and was told the same answer.

And the clock kept on ticking until in the year 1600BC, Kikinit Khan got hit on the head by a pot falling from the top shelf in one of his libraries and died.

---

Post turn analysis

We need workers. I am building libraries to try and speed up our research, but someone with more civ nous than me may decide that it's best to do something else.

Having said that, I am not sure if I screwed up in Munich. If we are designating it as a production city, then a barracks should come before a library and should be changed as soon as possible.

Hamburg is not yet connected up. I started to connect it up and decided that it was more important to get the copper mined and connected and then the gold mined. The copper is mined and connected to Hamburg and the gold will be finished in a turn or two and then the roading can be restarted.

Alphabet is due in 10 turns. This may drop even more once the gold is worked.

Once all the cities are connected, we will be able to build axemen in all our cities and I think we will need a few as we are low on power.

The workboat that was built in the capital has arrived at the clams and can fish them next turn. This will give us yet another health resource. We have lots of them and our cities are very healthy. Problem is that happiness is a big problem. Thinking about it, a priority should be to get the gold roaded up to get the happiness bonus.

I didn't get a chance to whip any cities during my turns as it didn't at any time make any sense to do so. Berlin and Munich will shortly be ready to whip so next up should take advantage of it.

Here's a picture of the culture around us. We are surrounded on the North, NE and East and will get pressured in all three directions soon.

Here is our Eastern area for someone to think about where to put a city. If we can get to it before our neighbours that is.

And lastly the information screeny.

Spoiler :

Turn 40 (2400 BC)

IBT:
Hamburg's borders expand

Turn 41 (2360 BC)

IBT:
Hinduism founded in a distant land

Turn 42 (2320 BC)

Turn 43 (2280 BC)

IBT:
Berlin finishes: Worker
Hamburg grows: 2

Turn 44 (2240 BC)
Berlin begins: Settler

IBT:
Tech learned: Pottery

Turn 45 (2200 BC)
Research begun: Writing

Turn 46 (2160 BC)

Turn 47 (2120 BC)

Turn 48 (2080 BC)

Turn 49 (2040 BC)

IBT:
Hamburg grows: 3

Turn 50 (2000 BC)

Turn 51 (1960 BC)

IBT:
Berlin finishes: Settler
Judaism founded in a distant land

Turn 52 (1920 BC)
Berlin begins: Work Boat

IBT:
Tech learned: Writing

Turn 53 (1880 BC)
Munich founded
Research begun: Metal Casting
Research begun: Alphabet
Research begun: Archery
Munich begins: Library
Research begun: Alphabet

Turn 54 (1840 BC)

Turn 55 (1800 BC)

IBT:
Berlin grows: 5

Turn 56 (1760 BC)
Hamburg begins: Library

IBT:
Berlin finishes: Work Boat
Hamburg grows: 4

Turn 57 (1720 BC)
Berlin begins: Library

IBT:
Munich's borders expand

Turn 58 (1680 BC)

Turn 59 (1640 BC)

IBT:
Munich grows: 2

Turn 60 (1600 BC)

Roster :
-- GreyFox
-- Blid
-- Kikinit == Played
-- namliaM == UP
-- Bede
-- rex_tyranus

-- Alternate: badgerpendous (away on vacations until 17 Apr).
--

Great story, kikinit!!! :goodjob:

And wonderful turns too, I see our prod city is up.

Seems like no one on our continent has any religion ... maybe we should start getting one?

I would not worry abt Chinese going through to our southern prime site. In a few turns Hamburg should expand its border again. Once that is done, the southern path will be completely closed.

Hmm .. what is the prod city doing building library? Shouldn't it be building granary or barracks or something?

My condolences to the lost of herr kikinit khan ... :lol:

-

Reminder: namliaM take 20 turns.

-

Well for a change lets start with the easy part....
Spoiler autolog :

Turn 60 (1600 BC)
Munich begins: Worker
Munich begins: Granary
Berlin grows: 6

Turn 61 (1560 BC)
Berlin begins: Worker
Hamburg begins: Worker

Turn 62 (1520 BC)
Berlin finishes: Worker
Hamburg finishes: Worker

Turn 63 (1480 BC)
Munich grows: 3

Turn 64 (1440 BC)

Turn 65 (1400 BC)
Berlin begins: Axeman
Hamburg begins: Axeman

Turn 66 (1360 BC)
Berlin grows: 3
Berlin finishes: Axeman

Turn 67 (1320 BC)
Hamburg finishes: Axeman

Turn 68 (1280 BC)
Axeman defeats (3.40/5): Barbarian Archer
Munich grows: 4
Axeman defeats (1.15/5): Barbarian Archer

Turn 69 (1240 BC)

Turn 70 (1200 BC)
Axeman promoted: Combat I
Berlin grows: 4

Turn 71 (1160 BC)
Berlin begins: Granary
Munich begins: Barracks

Turn 72 (1120 BC)
Tech learned: Alphabet
Munich finishes: Barracks

Turn 73 (1080 BC)
Research begun: Iron Working
Research begun: Mysticism
Research begun: Meditation
Research begun: Priesthood
Research begun: Code of Laws
Tech learned: Mysticism
Tech learned: Masonry
Munich begins: Warrior
Berlin finishes: Library
Munich grows: 3

Turn 74 (1040 BC)
Berlin begins: Warrior
Berlin begins: Barracks
Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Barbarian Warrior
Hamburg begins: Granary
Hamburg begins: Settler
Munich finishes: Warrior

Turn 75 (1000 BC)
Berlin grows: 5
Scout loses to: Barbarian Archer (3.00/3)

Turn 76 (975 BC)
Munich begins: Obelisk
Munich begins: Settler
Berlin begins: Warrior

Turn 77 (950 BC)
Tech learned: Meditation

Turn 78 (925 BC)
Berlin finishes: Warrior
Munich finishes: Granary

Turn 79 (900 BC)
Munich begins: Warrior
Munich grows: 4

Turn 80 (875 BC)
Berlin begins: Barracks
Research begun: Polytheism
Research begun: Code of Laws
Tech learned: Priesthood
Berlin grows: 4
Berlin finishes: Granary
Hamburg grows: 4

The rize of nampihW
While the poor peasent man was waiting on his trusted leader, he was just playing around with his trusty old whip when he ( by accident :rolleyes: ) hit a pot standing on the shelve. The pot swiffeled and just as his leader came thru the door, it fell. Striking Kikinit Khan in the head, holy moly what have I done.... I must rule in his place, rule as he might have done.... or not? :devil:
Just before dying Kikinit wispered, the people of Munich are building a library... No no... that cannot be left... to ... finishhhhhhhhh....
So the build was changed to a Granary

The people came to fear sire nampihW for he worked the people harder than they should.
We have a lot of unworked land nampihW cryed out :cry: this cannot continue, we must work the land.

And so his first (real) leading desicion is to order up some workers in Hamburg and Berlin. It only took the poor peasent 40 years and in the year 1520 BC the citizens of Berlin and Hamburg felt the very thing nampihW would be famous for... :whipped:

Just as the poor people start to recover, and nampihW is settling into office. He looks out his south window... and Ack... No way...

Running to the otherside of the office hoping to find some help ... Leaning out the North window ... Yes help is there but of the wrong kind and for the wrong team.

Defense, where the ... is it?? We have some warriors, but what can they do against Archers? Not much, but die...

1400 BC Defence ... Defence is the shout acros the empire... 2 Axemen are ordered up in Hamburg and Berlin
That same year word is heart from one of nampihW's missionaries, he sends word that the untrustworthy Kubby is sending more of his evil followers.

OMG so much is happening, 40 years fly by... And the Whip is fetched from the quiet corner it was standing in. The people of Berlin feel it hard on their backs as they finish the Axeman who will be send to intercept the Archers.

Because of the hard way he clashes his whip it is broken and it takes another 40 years for a new one to be found. It is immediatly used against the people of Hamburg. We now have 2 Axemen, the axe from Berlin is cought between a rock and a hardplace. Take out the archer on the Sheep or take out the archer on the Wine?
He is send against the one on the sheep and saves the Pasture, then is send back towards the Barbarian on the wine, who just prior destroyed the road. Next the Archer desides to take a stab at our wounded Axe but dies on the sharp edge of the Axe who is then promoted with Combat 1 and retreats to heal.

While all this is going on in the south our sworn enemy (the barbarians) dare to attack our friend Qin, who has turned to a faith called Judaism.

The barbarian fails as our Axe watches in astoundment... The Qin's warrior profails.... The people of Hamburg wonder as to why did they deserve the whip for defense which is not needed. Note however on the lower left corner the archer who had just destroyed the road.
Also note the red dot, indicating the new city which was build by Kubby.

The lone missionary goes East in search of new lands and new brothern, as he is wondering the landscape the scientists back home learn to spell the ABC. nampihW immediatly sends forth the leaders of the world.
[Editorial]
I am sure I made screenies, but they dont seem to be here, so from memory
[/Editorial]
Qin is called forth, He is willing to offer up Archery or Mysticism for Writing.
Alex allready has writing, we can offer the Alphabet for Myst + Archery + Masonry.
Kubby doesnt know how to write yet and is willing to part with Archery or Mysticism or Masonry
Good old JC (thats only for special friends, other call him Julius Ceasar) Doesnt know how to make pots and doesnt know his ABC's
nampihW starts off my doing JC a favour, trading Pottery for Misticism.
Next Qin is given the knowledge of writing in exchange for the knowledge of Masonry.
[Editorial]
I may have gotten the leaders and the trades wrong. I know I did Pottery for something with JC and think I traded with Qin for something.
The somethings were Misticism and Masonry... but dont remember in which way and I may have gotten Qin wrong
[/Editorial]

As our scientist start to perfect the art of meditation on their way to a Code of something... :crazyeye: ... Our scout passes a barbarian city due east, having just passed a nice new city site...... Promptly an archer pops out and kills the scout.

However the evel Kubby is about to strike again... about to take the nice new city site

An Axe is dispatched to avenge our lost compadre...

As the years fly by nampihW grows tired and is slowly dying an old and tired man. The years have really counted for this old man, as he had to work the whip so hard.... He lies in his bed as he hears the call from his axeman... calling from the hills near the barbarian city

The old man dreams of his empire and of his accomplishments.... and his failures

He has started the ground work for some defence, hired two new axemen...
The workforce has doubled and with that workforce (4 workers lined in purple) build some roads and some farms. But more importantly build some cottages for the peasents to live in. (cottages lined in blue and the rice farm)
Munich now has a shiny new Granary and is ready to build new and improved units for more and better defense with its barracks
Berlin our capitol, is in need of some minor MMing and will soon finish its Granary :whipped: offcourse. The shiny new library was build there in honnor of the late Kikinit.
Hamburg is the last city, and is worst off. It did not get anything but some Cottages and is in dire need of some growing to work the bronze and gold.

He is saddened by the fact he had to be limitted to the 3 cities he inherited from Kikinit.

The last wispers of the old man tell of the southern peninsula. He send some warriors there to stand watch in the forrest. Hoping to see the founding of a barbarian city on the southern tip of the lands. This way the future rulers of the empire save themselves the building of an additional settler.

Good to see somebody got the whip out. If nothing else I am going to whip/chop a settler out of somewhere. There is a little too much tree hugging going on here. As should be apparent to all there are enough health resources handy to cope with that one. Where we may come up short is luxury goods.

If we have Writing and Alphabet how about a push to Literature and Great Library in Hamburg? It seems a handy place to put it with gold and copper mines and floodplains for whip bait. And I don't think we stand a chance at the Oracle---->Civil Service gambit as we lack Marble thanks to Kublai's poaching push southwards.

With only four cities Code of Laws is not that much of an imperative either.

Will play tomorrow so let's have some more opinions before I play us into a hole here.

I see people are all turning into story-tellers, :thumbsup:!

Good job getting us some defence.

One thing I'm not sure is why cottages in all the floodplains of Hamburg? I would at least have one of them farmed to increase the growth rate. And then, the farming of the plains? hmmm... curious. That is the one I would have cottaged.

On expansion, we have only one choise that is to go NE. Seems to have some bananas there which is good for the monkey within us.

On the south, I have used to advocate a site 1E of wheat ... but on second thought, I wasn't too sure now. It will be 1 tile away from coast :sad: If that is a major conern, then we have to move it 1E to the hill ... which loses some of its appeal as a prod city (loses the horse, and one less hill for mining).

Hopefully the new religion Qin acquired will be passed to us ... :) We need the religion to resolve our happiness problem.

--

:lol: Treehugger.. that's something I've never been called before.. And I love my chainsaw so much... I checked the whip on nearly every shot looking for opportunities, but I guess I was a bit soft. Note to self.. :whipped:

I agree with Grey not to over cottage. Get excess food first so we can use that whip...

Bede said:
Good to see somebody got the whip out. If nothing else I am going to whip/chop a settler out of somewhere. There is a little too much tree hugging going on here. As should be apparent to all there are enough health resources handy to cope with that one. Where we may come up short is luxury goods.

If we have Writing and Alphabet how about a push to Literature and Great Library in Hamburg? It seems a handy place to put it with gold and copper mines and floodplains for whip bait. And I don't think we stand a chance at the Oracle---->Civil Service gambit as we lack Marble thanks to Kublai's poaching push southwards.

With only four cities Code of Laws is not that much of an imperative either.

Will play tomorrow so let's have some more opinions before I play us into a hole here.
Oracle is a lost cause I would agree, I went for CoL for the religion, not for the courthouses.TGL would be nice tho, would give us some Great scientists and the extra beakers wont be lost either.

I did do a turn or 2 (mostly whip overrun) on settlers here and there. Be sure to check around.

GreyFox said:
One thing I'm not sure is why cottages in all the floodplains of Hamburg? I would at least have one of them farmed to increase the growth rate. And then, the farming of the plains? hmmm... curious. That is the one I would have cottaged.
I cottaged the floodplains cuase we allready have 3 floodplains (+1f each) and the rice (+2food) and the basic +2 from the CC, making +7food per turn. I then proceded to farm the plain to make it food nutral as currently we are not yet working the hill and mine.. But they cost 3 food to maintain.
There is not much difference between farming the one and cottaging the other I think. Except this way we work the cottages earlier and longer thus more $?!

On expansion, we have only one choise that is to go NE. Seems to have some bananas there which is good for the monkey within us.
The monkey site is about to be taken by Kubby

namliaM said:
I cottaged the floodplains cuase we allready have 3 floodplains (+1f each) and the rice (+2food) and the basic +2 from the CC, making +7food per turn. I then proceded to farm the plain to make it food nutral as currently we are not yet working the hill and mine.. But they cost 3 food to maintain.
There is not much difference between farming the one and cottaging the other I think. Except this way we work the cottages earlier and longer thus more $?!
Agreed, if we are already saturated (i.e. working on all tiles) then it makes no difference whether to cottage/farm the plains/floodplains. The total combine yield is the same.

But we are not saturated, we are growing. So, I would farm an already food-rich tile and cottage the plains to give us the flexibity of choice. Farming the flood plains gives us 4f. With that, we can choose to work on the cottage when we need money and grow at a rapid phase, or chose to switch to mines to give us a temporary boost in prod. Plus, it is easier to convert farms to cottage then to convert cottages to farms.

It is like city specialization. You build the banks in a gold-rich city and the forge in a prod city. Same here. I would cottage the food-poor plains and farm the food-rich floodplains.

-

The Fox said:
It is like city specialization. You build the banks in a gold-rich city and the forge in a prod city. Same here. I would cottage the food-poor plains and farm the food-rich floodplains.

In a flood plain town and dry plains you are half right: cottage the plains (1f1h+lots of gold in the future); cottage the floodplains (3f0h+lots of gold in the future). That is two fields for tow citizens and a cottaged field is worth so much more than a scientist specialist once the cottage has grown into a town, and you don't really need scientists at this stage of the game anyway.

Course I amy change my mind on'ce I open the game

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the floodplains should always be farmed, I am saying at this stage, we are better off getting an extra pop to work on another tile until we hit the H limit (health or happiness). Once that happens, I would personally pick up the spades to change a farm to cottage if Have to :)

As with everything else in Civ4, its situational. Its just my humble grumpy opinion that at least one of the floodplains in hamburg should be farmed.

--

To that extend... I was sure hitting the H limit hard
And even if we connect again the cities, we are stuck at H(appiness) 5.
At size 4 it needs 28 food, with +7 food I fail to see the point of having faster than 4 turn growth (without granary!).

At size 5 we need 30 food to grow, but that is mute for now as anything above 5 = unhappy = :whipped:

After the Whip we have 10 turns to kill before we can use it again, 4 turns at size 4 (max) and 4 (max) as size 5. Leaving 2 turns.
Maybe turning one (the last one which isnt final yet) cottage into a farm would make it 4 + 3 leaving 3 turns to work the mines...

Thats one turn... of 3 hammers and about 5 gold... For the short turm, for the long term we are missing out on some money from the Town. Winning in the short turm, means getting more land sooner, means having more beakers etc... etc...

Ok I convinced myself :lol:, the last FP should be a farm... So we can work the gold mine or the Copper mine some more...

Top Bottom