Fox-05: The RNGod Strikes Back

Nope, didn't keep with all the way Priesthood, it's nearly done though.

If we didn't use Priesthood as our 2nd research tech (I'm intrigued as to what we did research - any clues :rolleyes:) we don't need it unless we want to go Oracling. Would be risky given the variant but...

From the sounds of it, your punishment was to whip 3 population (when does this have to be done Fox?).

I get to whip 3 citizens next set.

And build armies? *laughs* Me and what production?

We're going to fail that one too.

Oh, and we may wish to consider Oracling, as we can get IW.

The personal objective punishment will be applied at the first turn of vra's next turnset.

Tribal Objectives Completed Thus Far
  • (N.A) Acquire a religion ~ started: 4000BC, completed: 3010BC, 33 Turns
  • (6x5) Learn 2 Tech no one knows ~ started: 3010BC, completed: 2110BC(?), 30/30 Turns
  • (3x3) Capture a capitol or size (1d6=5)+5 city ~ started: 2110BC, Yet-to-complete, Limit: 35 Turns, 25 Turns Left

Personal Objectives Completed Thus Far
  • Ozbenno: (3) Learn a tech ~ achieved (barely ;))
  • vra379971: (6) Increase (1d6=6)x100 gold ~ failed, punishment: (4) whip away (1d6=3) citizens

Roster
  • GreyFox == Found the Dancing RNGod
  • Ozbenno == Lucky dude
  • vra379971 == Had a gripe with the dice, and to be punished when he's UP next
    [*] Omni Paul == UP for 20 turns
  • Ruff Hi == On Deck for 15 turns
  • berserks01
  • Rex Tyrannus

Useful links:

The year is 1810BC. The turn counter reads 587 turns left. 587? That's random, how oddly appropriate. And yet, I feel the desire to restore some semblance of order. I shall play 17 of my requisite 20 turns, leaving the next player with 8 turns to complete the current commandment (assuming of course that I cannot).

And looking at the current situation, I strongly suggest that I cannot!

BUT! Before we begin, a dice roll!

sing> Don’t mess with the missionary man (oooooh) etc.

So it’s a 5 then. Let’s see what that means…

5 Get an AI Civ to improve attitude towards us [2]

Hmm. That should be relatively easy… except I don’t actually have anything to give anyone, considering we don’t know how to write stuff down! I check the current state of foreign affairs, we have the following contacts:

Louis
Cyrus
Huayna
Mehmed
And Mansa Musa, all cautious at +1. At this point, the only way I think I can realistically improve relations with anyone is to spread religion to them. The only way I can do that, is to trade with them. Seeing as the RNGod commands I do so, what’s the easiest way I ask? Well, I need to either research the wheel or sailing, as the only 2 techs within reach of my turnset. Sailing is at 14, wheel at 9. Even if I get wheel, I won’t be able to road to anyone in the remaining time, so sailing it is. I switch immediately.

This may be a loose interpretation, but I believe this course of action is directly attempting to fulfill the RNGod’s will. There is no way I could get all the way to writing in 17 turns, and meditation alone would take 12, plus the extra time to build a monastery… forget it. Sailing plus random chance of religion spread is the best I can do. RNGod will decide my fate.

Now, interestingly, we have a settler due in 1 turn, and a warrior with a promotion due sitting on his lazy behind not far from our city. I assume he is on the intended second city site. Unfortunately, I tend to think it’s about the worst second city site I’ve ever seen.

Oh dear lord that’s a piece of poo. 1 away from the coast and claiming only 3 luxuries we won’t be able to work until calendar? Crikey. That’s not kosher. I’m far more inclined to settle on the north coast near the rice. Growth is good early on, mmkay? I activate Mr. Lazy, promote him to Combat 1, and send up to case the joint.

As for our overall objective? We’re going to struggle. Mansa is close, we might have a chance of taking him out IF he doesn’t build skirmishers (which he will), or if there happens to be hidden copper behind the second city site’s fog (which, knowing my luck, there won’t be). Oh well, have to try, don’t I? With this in mind, I cancel the second queued settler in production. Why on earth we would build a second settler when all we have in the world in terms of military is 2 warriors confuses my random mind.

HIT ENTER ALREADY.

Turn 1

Berlin > Settler > Warrior (4)

Settler heads in the direction of the new second city site. He’ll beat the warrior there, so I REALLY hope there’s no animals about.

Turn 2

Reaching the site I realise exactly how close Mali is. VERY CLOSE. No copper found yet.

Turn 3

HAMBURG FOUNDED

Hamburg > Worker (23)

Ouch.

Hamburg > Warrior (11)

Better. We need Iron Working for all this damned jungle.

Turn 4

Move warrior into Hamburg to defend.

Turn 5

Berlin > Warrior > Settler (22)

There’s a chop due from a mine this turn which will reduce to 15, so might as well take advantage of it by pumping out a third city now. I move the warrior in the south westerly direction toward a semi decent city site. Not much to choose from to be honest. The serious upside to that mine, by the way, is that we’ll work it and if the RNGod is REALLY FREAKIN’ GENEROUS, he’ll let us discover copper in it! WISHFUL THINKING ALERT.

Turn 6

All our worker can do is chop and mine, so I tell him to mine a nearby hill between the 2 cities.

Turn 7

Moving to the third city site I run into an Egyptian scout. Looks like we know who founded Buddhism then.

<screenshot deleted due to it not appearing>

Turn 8

Ramesses adopts slavery. Sailing still 5 away.

Turn 9

Yawn.

Turn 10

More yawning. Sailing in 3.

Turn 11

Ho hum. Sailing in 2.

Turn 12.

Mine finished. SAILING NEXT TURN. GET EXCITED.

Turn 13

You can’t direct the wind, but you can try to conceal it by letting it out very quietly and blaming it on the dog.

I’m torn on the next tech. We already have beak…

Oh crap, pizza delivery at the door. BRB LOLZ!!!11ONE

<brief pizza eating interlude>

Where was I? Ah yes. We appear to have beakers invested in Animal Husbandry (due in 4), Priesthood (also due in 4), and Iron Working (due in 24). Sweet RNGod. What the hell are we doing here? AH is a worker tech, but will gain us no real advantage I can see. Priesthood opens the oracle run, but in 1420BC with no marble, I think that’s dicey. I go for Iron Working as we need it badly. I hope that’s not a bad call.

Now, our 2 cities are hooked up, but what’s this? We’re not trading with anyone? Because we can’t see their capitals? CRAP. It’s only now that I realise we have a scout ON AUTO EXPLORE!!! Who did that? OWN UP!!!

Well screw it, he can stay on auto for all I care. My mission is blown. At least we got sailing out of it I guess.

Turn 14

Hamburg > Warrior > Warrior (11)

Choosing production in Hamburg was like choosing between cancer and AIDS to be honest. Cancer kills quicker, so cancer ftw.

Going to see if I can last-gasp a glimpse at Mansa’s capital and MAYBE spread religion. Good luck to me.

Turn 15

Bleh.

Turn 16

Double Bleh. Mansa’s capital isn’t coastal, and can’t even be seen from a nearby hill. I’m toast.

Turn 17

Hinduism has spread to….. HAMBURG. Dang. Got my hopes up for an obscure second there.

And… that’s it for me. Except to roll… my PUNISHMENT!

Hey that looks like fun, been a while since I’ve had a good… er… 2.

2 Empty (1d6) cities of units for 1 turn

Hmm. Looks like I’ll be undefended for a turn next time my turnset comes around. I figure I’ll do the roll for how many cities that will be next time.

Sorry folks (and RNGod). I think we’re going to fail both to be fair, but I’ve done my level best.

Fox stopped at 17 (or maybe 27) turns when he founded Hinduism so that's why the odd turn number. I started Animal Husbandry as part of our learn 2 techs no-one knows (which ended up very weedy and was abandoned) as for the rest :mischief:

So he did. 33 turns, that explains it. Oh well, at least some sense of order has been restored early on. To be honest, the extra 3 turns would have done me no good anyway, so it's best I merely accept my fate and take one for the team.

You can’t direct the wind, but you can try to conceal it by letting it out very quietly and blaming it on the dog.

:lol::rotfl::lol:

Couldn't stop laughing at this.

:lol:

Must ... stop ... laughing ....

:twitch:

--

The turns left is 587 is because I played 33 turns (stopping at Hinduism).

Tribal Objectives Completed Thus Far
  • (N.A) Acquire a religion ~ started: 4000BC, completed: 3010BC, 33 Turns
  • (6x5) Learn 2 Tech no one knows ~ started: 3010BC, completed: 2110BC(?), 30/30 Turns
  • (3x3) Capture a capitol or size (1d6=5)+5 city ~ started: 2110BC, Yet-to-complete, Limit: 35 Turns, 8 Turns Left

Personal Objectives Completed Thus Far
  • Ozbenno: (3) Learn a tech ~ achieved (barely ;))
  • vra379971: (6) Increase (1d6=6)x100 gold ~ failed, punishment: (4) whip away (1d6=3) citizens
  • Omni Paul: (5) Get an AI Civ to improve attitude towards us ~ failed, punishment: (2) Empty (1d6=?) cities of units for 1 turn

Roster
  • GreyFox == Found the Dancing RNGod
  • Ozbenno == Lucky dude
  • vra379971 == Had a gripe with the dice, and to be punished when he's UP next
  • Omni Paul == had to let out wind, and thus be punished when he's UP next
    [*] Ruff Hi == UP for 15 turns
  • berserks01 == On Deck for 15 turns
  • Rex Tyrannus

Useful links:

lurker's comment:
I see a tribal punishment coming shortly, unless Ruff Hi has some magic up his sleeve :mischief:

I see a tribal punishment coming shortly, unless Ruff Hi has some magic up his sleeve :mischief:
Checks sleeve ... err ... only an arm. Checks other sleeve ... ditto.

I've rolled my personal objective (Fox-05 personal objective #1 (1d6=4)) which means that I need to 'Spread a religion'. Do we have one to spread? (Edit: YES - Hindu). Does sending it to one of our cities count? Do we need to run a different AI in this game? I think that I will fog bust the coast to enable coastal trading and see how that goes. I'll try to at least *find* a capital.

Will play tonight on the train home.

Edit: Just to spur me on, here is my punishment if I fail ... punishment if I fail my FOX-05 objective #1 (1d6=2) which is 'Empty (1d6) cities of units for 1 turn' and Number of cities to empty (1d6=1)

Great report, Mr. Shambles. And, on a personal note, it's good to see you again, though I daresay, three Aussies in one game is a bit much. (Pie floater, yech.)

Anyhow, sorry about the personal objective. Some of these are rather slanted against the early game. Oh well, therein lies the fun.

Great report, Mr. Shambles.
Hear, hear! I am still laughing at the "wnd" thingy ...

I didn't noticed there were 3 aussies though ...but whats wrong with that? Must all SGs roster comprises of mostly Americans? :sneer:

Anyhow, sorry about the personal objective. Some of these are rather slanted against the early game. Oh well, therein lies the fun.
The "strategic" way to play this is to delay the "acquiring" of religion to as late as possible ... but fu*k that. We are mindless minions anyway, plus as you say, this way is more fun.

--

let me third rex on that ~ welcome back paul ~ ever make any headway with that sweet young thing? ;) since it's been awhile since you've had a good 2, i'd say not that well ~ of course, maybe you've had a bad 2 . . . :lol:

how'd the play turn out anyway??

great report, too

uhm...is there anything else to say....hmm....no, i don't think so. You all need a bit of Ozbenno's "luck" (**cough**worldbuilder**cough** ;) )

Oh no, private mission failed.
On double no, possible team mission failed.

I didn't give RNGod much of a chance to help me. I guess I will just have to take my punishment next round. I opened the game to see a settler due in 2. I then spent just under 20 minutes looking for a city site. Seriously, look 16:53:57 to 17:12:01. I finally settled :)D) on this site ...

... after some wondering around a bit, dodging barbarians and the like. I have a fishing boat exploring the North and two workers roading towards our new town. Iron working is still in 19 or so but I did stop and pick up the wheel. Sure, the new city is miles away but at least it doesn't have to wait until IW to really start to work.

And the situation back home ...

Spoiler log :

Logging by Ruff's Cobbled Mod Pack v2.0.4 (Warlords v2.08) - New Log Entries
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turn 90/660 (1300 BC) [04-Apr-2007 16:53:57]

IBT:
Attitude Change: Ramesses II(Egypt) towards Mansa Musa(Mali), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 91/660 (1270 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:12:01]
Research begun: The Wheel (8 Turns)
Berlin finishes: Settler
Berlin begins: Lighthouse (13 turns)

IBT:
Attitude Change: Ramesses II(Egypt) towards Mansa Musa(Mali), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Cyrus(Persia) towards Huayna Capac(Inca), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 92/660 (1240 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:15:35]
Berlin begins: Work Boat (9 turns)
A Mine was built near Hamburg

IBT:
While defending in the wild, Warrior defeats (0.98/2): Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 76.9&#37;)
Attitude Change: Cyrus(Persia) towards Huayna Capac(Inca), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 93/660 (1210 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:16:50]

IBT:
While defending in the wild, Sigmund (Scout) loses to: Barbarian Warrior (1.28/2) (Prob Victory: 31.3%)

Turn 94/660 (1180 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:18:27]
Hamburg finishes: Warrior

IBT:
Attitude Change: Ramesses II(Egypt) towards Mansa Musa(Mali), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Mansa Musa(Mali) towards Fox05(RNGod), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Cyrus(Persia) towards Huayna Capac(Inca), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Cyrus(Persia) towards Ramesses II(Egypt), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 95/660 (1150 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:19:45]
Hamburg begins: Warrior (6 turns)

IBT:
Attitude Change: Ramesses II(Egypt) towards Louis XIV(France), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Ramesses II(Egypt) towards Mansa Musa(Mali), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV(France) towards Ramesses II(Egypt), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Mansa Musa(Mali) towards Huayna Capac(Inca), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Cyrus(Persia) towards Huayna Capac(Inca), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Cyrus(Persia) towards Ramesses II(Egypt), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Mehmed II(Ottomans) towards Louis XIV(France), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 96/660 (1120 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:21:25]

IBT:
Attitude Change: Mehmed II(Ottomans) towards Louis XIV(France), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 97/660 (1090 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:21:54]
Tech learned: The Wheel

IBT:

Turn 98/660 (1060 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:23:03]
Research begun: Iron Working (17 Turns)
Berlin finishes: Work Boat
Berlin begins: Lighthouse (23 turns)

IBT:
Judaism founded in a distant land
State Religion Change: Mehmed II(Ottomans) from 'no State Religion' to 'Buddhism'

Turn 99/660 (1030 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:26:08]

IBT:
Civics Change: Louis XIV(France) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'

Turn 100/660 (1000 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:27:36]
Berlin grows: 4

IBT:
State Religion Change: Louis XIV(France) from 'no State Religion' to 'Judaism'
Attitude Change: Ramesses II(Egypt) towards Louis XIV(France), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV(France) towards Ramesses II(Egypt), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV(France) towards Mehmed II(Ottomans), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 101/660 (985 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:28:16]
Munich founded
Berlin begins: Worker (7 turns)
Munich begins: Warrior (8 turns)
Hamburg finishes: Warrior

IBT:

Turn 102/660 (970 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:29:35]
Hamburg begins: Monument (12 turns)

IBT:

Turn 103/660 (955 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:30:43]
Berlin finishes: Worker

IBT:
Attitude Change: Mansa Musa(Mali) towards Fox05(RNGod), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 104/660 (940 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:31:24]
Hamburg's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 105/660 (925 BC) [04-Apr-2007 17:32:01]
Hamburg begins: Lighthouse (23 turns)

New Set of Dice Please

Yes, we did... we're not doing too well on the details at the moment, are we :D

...and thankyou humbly for the welcomes back. RL got ridiculous late on last year, and I had been thinking about returning to here and DM. To answer the questions, the play went well, the girl now lives in Canada, and I'm in another play (Merchant of Venice) in which I'm seeing the Stage Manager :D

Yes, my life is a soap opera :p.

Top Bottom