Fragile Grasses

What is Fragile Grasses?
This NES takes place in Sengoku / Azuchi-Momoyama periods, beginning in 1573. The two major events defining the start of our game is the death of Takeda Shingen due to natural causes, and the expulsion of former Shogun Ashikaga Yoshiaki from Kyoto at the hands of Oda Nobunaga. Players will take control of a minor bushi lord (essentially, samurai lord) who is loyal to one of the seven major daimyo. Alternatively, players may take on the role of a sohei (warrior monk) who is loyal to the Ikko-ikki cause and operates a minor temple and recruits from a local village. Along with your lord will come a small estate, a humble stipend of koku, and very little renown.

Why are you having us play as minor samurai lords? Why not the daimyo themselves?
This NES is meant to simulate the unpredictability of the time period. In my studies of Japanese history, it is evident that, with all of the characters in play, a certain degree of luck was required for events to transpire the way they did. I consider this a mostly accurate representation of the time period. However, I believe that with hard work and interesting narratives coalescing with one another, players can experience a gradual rise in power and an increased ability to change history. Starting as one of the major daimyo means starting in a position of power, and possibly doing what you already know can or should be done - if you simply read a history book. I want to make things more unpredictable and more customized towards the creative nature of the strategist and the artist within each player.

You are kind of unreliable as a mod. I don't trust you.
Fair enough. But keep in mind that I also have not had much experience before this point. Sometimes I engage in projects with hefty goals, not realizing that I am only one person. Such was the case with projects such as the last Sekai, or even the last Sengoku NES. In those cases, it was easy for me to get in over my head. I have created this NES with that in mind, and have thus made it easily manageable from a moderator's point of view, but also from a player's. I want this NES to be laid out in clear terms, with clear goals posed to the players, and a high level of interactivity. I vow to fully communicate with the community on the status of updates, and I also vow to not write a dozen stories per week until I get burnt out. I think that the majority of players in my games thus far have had a good deal of fun. I hope those same players show their faces here.

I don't know anything about Japanese history. Can I play?
Of course! In fact, I'd really encourage newcomers to the era and the region to get involved. There is no better way to learn than participating in this kind of NES. I will barrage you with facts and tidbits on a semi-daily basis, and I'm sure you'll learn a lot on your own as you research your opportunities. The Internet is a great resource, though often vague. Honestly, the best resources are books in Japanese, but I know the majority of you will not have access to such books. Honestly, wikipedia and samurai archives and likeminded websites will give you some very basic background that you might find useful. If you really want to know of some books to check out, let me know privately, and I will give you some recommendations.

What kinds of players are you looking for?
I'm looking for players who want a challenge. I'd also prefer players who enjoy writing stories, without being forced to, and who can present an interesting narrative for their character and his fledgling domain. Everyone starts as an underdog in this NES. I'd also like flexible players, who can come up with engaging backstories, introduce dynamic, multidimensional characters, and react appropriately to events occurring both locally and regionally.

Will this be a lot of work?
Yes and no. What you get out of it depends on what you put in. Nonetheless, I'm not making this into an epic novel... yet. I'd like you to adequately present and define your samurai lord and his status and character to the rest of us. Why join a NES if you are just going to ignore it when the game actually starts?

What is the background setting of the NES?
Well, I described it briefly above, and each major clan/daimyo will have a blurb laying out its situation, so you can make an educated decision on which one to be a part of. In 1570, Oda Nobunaga began a siege of the formidable Ishiyama Honganji, the largest of the Ikko-ikki's Buddhist temple fortresses. At the start of our NES, that siege is 3 years in, and however it is concluded will effect the timeline significantly. The Ikko-ikki are not just unruly mobs with pitchforks. They are highly trained by warrior monks, and even ronin and defecting samurai lords sympathetic to their cause. In terms of supplies, they have a good deal of muskets (arquebus), dozens of small forts around Ishiyama Honganji, and other large temple fortresses in other places around the region. And, they potentially have the support of major daimyo opposed to Oda Nobunaga. This NES is thus set primarily (at least in the beginning) in the Ishiyama Honganji War -- and this war will come to involve most major daimyo, if not militarily, then politically and economically. The outcome of this war will effect all of Japan.

What are my goals / what can I actually do?
I'm taking this whole Q&A scheme from Thlayli, because it presents a good opportunity. And I like his reply to this question, which is: "Interesting [goals], I hope." In my opinion, if you need to ask this question, you might not be suited for this NES in the first place. But if I must compile a list, it'd look something like this (which is in no way comprehensive):
  • Gain favor with the daimyo you are loyal to.
  • Rise in influence and prestige within this setting, altering the course of history.
  • Apply subtle pressure to the daimyo you are loyal to, as you rise in influence...
  • ...thus influencing the decisions that daimyo makes.
  • Compete against other bushi trying to gain favor with your daimyo.
  • Convince other retainers of your wisdom and honor. Gain their support.
  • Expand the size of your own domain by proving your worth and being appointed over adjacent areas, or over a larger, new area altogether.
  • Prove yourself as a competent administrator by making your subjects happy.
  • Prove yourself as a competent politician by attending the court of the daimyo you are loyal to and...
  • ...potentially arranging marriages or friendships that will benefit you and your allies.
  • Build forts. Lots of forts. And fight battles and command troops in those battles. Lots of battles... usually not fought by yourself, of course. Oh, by the way...
  • ...even if you lose a battle, or are on the losing side of a battle, you could still have done an amazing feat within that battle, and can still gain prestige and influence.
  • Siege a prominent castle in the name of your daimyo.
  • Follow the requests of your daimyo, from joining an army to commanding an army, to joining a siege to building a great castle.
  • Expand your home castle. Make it great.
  • Secure firearms manufacturing?
  • Assassinate rivals?
  • Gain your own following of retainers?
  • Betray your daimyo when it seems fit to do so? Not a good idea, but you could...
  • ...join a rival daimyo if your daimyo is defeated (not always considered dishonorable, actually)?
  • Die, only to have your eldest son take over (hopefully)?

See that last one? Yeah, you can die. But you'll have heirs, or brothers, or both.

I want to be like Zatoichi, or a wandering ronin with no obligations, or a hairy mountain man who can catch fish with his hands, or [enter Japanese feudal era trope here].
This is the wrong NES for you, I'm sorry to say. While the samurai clan you create is fictional, that does not mean it is fantastic or unrealistic. It should fit nicely into the overarching theme and setting of this NES. That goes for your background information, too. Make it interesting by peppering it with facts, such as a story of how your samurai took his first head at the Battle of Mikatagahara, or how he escaped the Battle of Anegawa, watching Oda samurai kill his brother, only to later shave his head and join the warrior monks at Nagashima, or how he was once a retainer of the Imagawa, but joined the Takeda when he personally met Shingen as his troops poured into Suruga Province and took control of Sunpu. There are many ways to give even a fictional, minor samurai clan a realistic basis for existing. Fictional clan, yes, but not unintelligible. Not to mention, legends evolve from real events, and the whole point of this is that you are not legendary... yet.

OK, I'm in. What do I do?
To be a part of this story, you must apply. For now, there are a limited number of spots available (12), indicated by a cap to how many players can be underneath each daimyo. One extremely important note you must remember is that your samurai clan can change loyalties! This does not happen with your starting bushi betraying your current daimyo. Rather, this happens if your starting bushi dies in battle, your clan is divided between brothers or sons, the other daimyo is invading and there is little hope for survival, etc. Many people mistake feudal Japan as being so brutal that even lowly samurai retainers were forced to commit seppuku or fight to the death if an enemy neared. Those cases are high profile, and usually have to do with important retainers. Several estates changed hands and loyalties during this time period, without a drop of blood being shed. You must simply have a good, in-character reason. If not, you will suffer. As you gain more and more influence with your daimyo, it will become more and more difficult to justifiably switch loyalties. You should always run this kind of thing by me first, though sometimes these situations will arise and occur naturally.

The # of maximum players per daimyo are for the start of the NES only. Incoming players during the course of the NES might be able to join on a case-by-case basis. For example, if I feel the Uesugi could use another retainer at some point during the game, a new spot will open.

Oda: 2 player retainers
Mori: 2 player retainers
Ikko-ikki: 2 player retainers
Takeda: 2 player retainers
Uesugi: 1 player retainer
Tokugawa: 1 player retainer
Toyotomi: 1 player retainer
Hojo: 1 player retainer

How do I apply?
To apply, please compose a write-up on your bushi and his estate. Feel free to indicate your interest to be one of the daimyo's retainers before working on your write-up. Please follow this format:

Application Format said:
Mon: Indicate page # and mon # (see links below).

(If you are applying for the Ikko-ikki, leave this blank.)

Daimyo: Indicate the daimyo your bushi is loyal to. Please see the post following this one for brief summaries of the daimyo, their clans, and their current situations.

(If you are applying for the Ikko-ikki, just put "Kennyo".)

Location: Based on your knowledge of the period, tell me where you would like your estate to be. If you really have no idea, leave this blank or discuss in the thread. There can, of course, be multiple clans/fiefs in a single location, so don't worry if you pick a spot in which there already exists an influential clan.

(If you are applying for the Ikko-ikki, tell me where your small temple is. You will be the abbot of this temple.)

Family: (members and history) I want you to list all immediate family members, as well as other notable family members. Use real Japanese first names. Again, if you have no idea or need help, leave it blank / discuss in the thread. Consider such factors as: siblings, marriage, offspring, and adoption. Put the age of each family number in parentheses. In addition to a listing of family members and their sex and ages, please also give us a brief family history. This section should be closely linked to your background.

(If you are applying for the Ikko-ikki, you still might have a family, especially if you were forced into exile to the temple, or lived another life before becoming a monk. You may also give a list of notable monks who study with/under you and help you tend to the temple and its affairs.)

Heir: Of the family members you listed, who is the official heir to the estate / temple?

Personal Background: Tell me about your samurai lord and how he came to inherit a small estate for himself and his family. This is a good spot to talk about past experiences or feats that have given you a modicum of prestige by the start of the NES.

After filling out those necessities, I would like you to write your first story.

Here are the mon chart links. Please indicate both the page # and the mon #. Please choose a mon that is not used by a daimyo of this time period.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14
15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21
22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28
29 | 30 | 31

Please remember that throughout this NES, especially in battle, your liege daimyo's mon should be presented more prominently than your own! After you pick a mon, I will provide your family name.

How does this NES work?
This NES is likely to go through a few different "stages". I won't define later stages right now, but depending on how the situation develops, we might have to go to an orders-based system. I don't expect this for quite some time, if ever.

Your ambitions, goals, and very being are to be expressed in story form. You are not actually in control of the daimyo you have chosen to represent, though you can lobby him for various purposes, especially if you gain the support of other local clans. But because you do not control the daimyo directly, that daimyo will be making decisions that will sweep you into the mayhem. Your stories do have a purpose, and are not just fluff. They will indicate to me the direction you want to take your character and what your character wants, or how he is reacting to certain situations. Scenarios can and will develop from this information that is given to me.

What about updates?
Updates are going to be short and cold. Well, that is an exaggeration. They will certainly be short. And they will definitely not be back-and-forth military battle #s garnished with prose that becomes tiring to write by the third update. I say "cold" because updates will give information. Sure, I might pepper them with haiku or a bit of story, but their purpose is to inform you of new scenarios, effects current events are having on your clan, deaths in your family you didn't foresee, in addition to the traditional outcomes of battles, loss of koku, the results of your actions in the previous turn's stories, etc.

After updates, you write another round of stories, which are then read and interpreted by me once again, until another update is posted. And we continue like that. You can and should cooperate or oppose actual players in the NES. Rivalries between retainers are not unheard of, though you might also have an enemy from long ago who is now supporting the daimyo your master is at war with. Interaction is encouraged.

This system is a way for me to post concise and frequent updates so that the NES can continue through many in-game years.

Oda Clan (Oda Nobunaga)​

By mid-1573, the Oda have dominion over 269,000 koku.

Oda Nobunaga has consolidated power over the last decade, culminating recently in his march on Kyoto and the expulsion of former shogun Ashikaga Yoshiaki. Many consider this year, 1573, to be the end of the Ashikaga Shogunate. Nobunaga was not able to do this until the death of his rival Takeda Shingen, a man who threatened Nobunaga and his ally, Tokugawa Ieyasu. With Shingen dead, and before Katsuyori could scramble Takeda retainers, Nobunaga focused his efforts on Yoshiaki. Kyoto now belongs to Nobunaga. Despite this success, he must deal with a threat even greater than one Yoshiaki ever posed: Kennyo and the Ikko-ikki, and their stronghold at Ishiyama Honganji. The Oda have maintained a siege on the fortress for the last three years, but the warrior monks continue to get supplies from the sea.....

Tokugawa Clan (Tokugawa Ieyasu)​

By mid-1573, the Tokugawa have dominion over 47,000 koku.

Formerly known as Matsudaira Motoyasu, Tokugawa Ieyasu has consolidated his own power in Mikawa Province. In the last few years, he won a small war against a warrior monk contingent in Kaga and allied with the Takeda to engage in a conquest of the Imagawa Clan's former holdings. This alliance soon ended though, which resulted in the recent Tokugawa loss at the Battle of Mikatagahara, fought in the winter of this year (1573). Despite this monumental defeat at the hands of Takeda Shingen, Shingen has recently died, relieving Tokugawa and reassuring his retainers. Tokugawa Ieyasu was even able to send some of his own troops to assist Nobunaga in eliminating notable clains around Lake Biwa, such as the Asai. Now, the Tokugawa Clan and its allies must confront Shingen's son, while also attempting to assist Nobunaga in his war against the monks.....

Toyotomi Clan (Toyotomi Hideyoshi)​

By mid-1573, the Toyotomi have dominion over 30,000 koku.

During the recent conquest of the clans around Lake Biwa, Hideyoshi was appointed by Nobunaga to lead an army in the Battle of Anegawa. This was a great honor, but not Hideyoshi's first. He has consistently impressed Nobunaga, so much so that he has been appointed the daimyo over a group of districts in Omi Province. He has already proven himself immensely, and has gathered the support of numerous samurai. Now, he must continue to support his ally and friend, Nobunaga, in his war against the monks, while also keeping an eye on the Mori to the west.....

Uesugi Clan (Uesugi Kenshin)​

By mid-1573, the Uesugi have dominion over 86,000 koku.

Uesugi Kenshin is considered by many to be the god of war. He is a legend among legends, and his prowess in battle frightens even Oda Nobunaga. He has recently suffered the loss of his greatest enemy, but also his most honorable adversary, Takeda Shingen. At the news of this death, he was enveloped in sadness. This expression of grief over the loss of an enemy has created great admiration for Kenshin throughout the region and among all great daimyo. Kenshin has seen to the vast economic expansion of Echigo Province. Still, Kenshin has much to do to subjugate neighboring Etchu Province. A rivalry between lords exists there, and Kenshin must act to resolve it. And, the Takeda to the south could still pose a threat in the near future, depending on their success or failure against the Tokugawa and Oda Clans. Officially, Kenshin currently maintains an alliance with Oda Nobunaga, that once existed to create a potential unified opposition to Takeda Shingen. However, now Shingen is dead. After consolidating his own power in neighboring provinces, it is likely that Uesugi Kenshin will have both the power, and resolve, to look westward.....

Takeda Clan (Takeda Katsuyori)​

By mid-1573, the Takeda have dominion over 104,000 koku.

Takeda Shingen is dead. His son, Katsuyori, has taken over the clan. It is yet to be seen whether or not Katsuyori can maintain hold over his father's loyal retainers. And, war with the Tokugawa and Oda still looms, and it is likely that Katsuyori will have to prove himself in battle in order to win over the hearts and minds of his father's supporters. The Takeda still have the manpower, but do they have the resolve? Perhaps the alliance with the Hojo can prove useful, whether it be using them as a mediator with Oda Nobunaga, or employing their troops on the battlefield. As long as the Uesugi do not get in the way.....

Hojo Clan (Hojo Ujimasa)​

By mid-1573, the Hojo have dominion over 146,000 koku.

Like his father Ujiyasu before him, Hojo Ujimasa has kept his clan's status as a dominant power in the southwest. Dominant, yes, but not necessarily as commanding as his father's rule. Nonetheless, Ujimasa has proven himself as a highly capable administrator, even if his prowess on the battlefield is beneath that of his father's. The Hojo continue to provoke the Uesugi, especially since ~1570, when the Hojo and Takeda entered into an alliance. The Hojo are likely to honor this alliance, even though Shingen is dead. In fact, Ujimasa has proven himself to be a competent politician and negotiator. Perhaps these skills could be used to end what could be a bloody, continued war between the Takeda and the Oda-Tokugawa coalition. That is dependent on the Takeda, as much as it is on Ujimasa's retainers. Whatever the outcome of that particular conflict, it is not likely that negotiating will diminish the ominous shadow that Uesugi Kenshin casts over the southwest.....

Mori Clan (Mori Terumoto)​

By mid-1573, the Mori have dominion over 142,000 koku.

When Mori Terumoto's father Motonari died in 1571, he left behind one of the largest and most powerful domains of the era. The Mori, as of the late 1560s, have consolidated their rule over the Chugoku region of Japan, and continue to operate Japan's finest fleet of warships. The clan continues to skirmish with the daimyo of Kyushu, though more or less, Terumoto has been timid and hesitant to engage in expansionist activities. The circumstances, however, are changing. If the Oda-Tokugawa coalition succeeds in their quelling of resistance in the east, Nobunaga will likely focus all of his efforts on Chugoku and the west. Though Nobunaga's influence swells, perhaps the Mori can defend themselves against any future onslaught, or perhaps they can even organize a new coalition of western daimyo against that threat. And of course, the Oda's continued siege of the coastal temple fortress of Ishiyama Honganji has also kept Nobunaga occupied. If the siege can be prolonged, or even repelled altogether, the Mori will have a better chance at survival in the future.....

Ikko-ikki (Honganji Kennyo)​

By mid-1573, the Ikko-ikki have access to X koku. (number coming soon)

The Ikko-ikki's main stronghold of Ishiyama Honganji is currently under siege by Oda Nobunaga and his allies. This siege is three years in, and there is no sign of Nobunaga giving up. Nobunaga, suffering both military and economic defeat at the hands of the Ikko-ikki, is thus on the verge of his dream of eliminating the rebels. Supplies are becoming scarce, though there are still enough to get through the year, and perhaps even the next. But even so, supplies and food that eventually dwindle do little to win a battle against an unrelenting foe. So unrelenting is Oda Nobunaga, that he ferociously succeeded in besieging another temple fortress, Enryakuji, in 1571 -- and proceeded to behead and slaughter every single monk and peasant on site. The chief abbot of Honganji, Kennyo, knows that he has support from the lords of the east, despite past differences. And more Ikko-ikki strongholds dot the landscape, including a series of forts with still-supplied arquebus squads surrounding Honganji itself, as well as more distant temple strongholds. Support to the Ikko-ikki cause comes from many places: warrior monks and their mountain monasteries, farming villages, the former court of the Ashikaga Shogunate and their related estates, the shogun-turned-monk Ashikaga Yoshiaki himself, daimyo concerned about Nobunaga's ambition, ronin from distant battles, and even merchants and pirates who have assisted in resupply efforts (but whose support is, ultimately, unreliable). This is a wide array of support, but this scattered diversity means that Nobunaga can potentially isolate supporters one by one. Help is required, but where will it come from? .....

Reserved for official map and other useful information.

WIP

Mon: 28, 181-19

Daimyō: Hōjō Ujimasa

Location: The outskirts of modern Yokosuka, on the coastline at the base of the Miura Peninsula, touching the Edo Sea [around where modern 海の公園南口駅 is; Just Google Maps that]

Name: _______ Masatoki

Family:

_________ Toyome [Wife] (26)

_________ Masaderu [Son] (5)

_________ Masahiro [Son] (2)

_________ Masatoki is, and always was, a petty lord under the wing of the great Hōjō Clan. He was born in the petite estate that belonged to his father _________ Masashiro, as well as his father's father _________ Masauki. And it was _______ Masauki who received the parcel of land that the __________ Estate currently resides on. The ___________ Clan was initially a petty clan of noble retainers to Imagawa Yohorsehockyada of the Imagawa Clan. Upon Yohorsehockyada's death in 1476 at Shiokaizaka, however, and the subsequent 'succession crisis' between Yohorsehockyada's son Tatsuomaru, later to become Imagawa Ujichika, and Yohorsehockyada's cousin, Oshika Norimutsu, the ________ Clan supported Tatsuomaru in his claim to the Imagawa domain. Conflict was edging nearer and nearer, until a certain Ise Shinkurō, also a former retainer of Yohorsehockyada, proposed a solution: Norimutsu would act as regent daimyō to Tatsuomaru until he came of age. However, once Tatsuomaru came of age, and became Imagawa Ujichika, Norimutsu refused to give up control over the domain, prompting several Imagawa retainers, lead by Shinkurō, to attack Norimutsu's estate and kill him, thus securing the domain for Ujichika. As a reward to Shinkurō, Ujichika granted him Kokukuji Castle, as well as several loyal retainers, _________ Masauki among them. And from the day that Masauki swore his loyalty to Shinkurō, he would be remembered by his descendants as one of the least remembered men that helped to build the Hōjō Clan. He assisted Shinkurō in his invasion of Izu Province, his seizure of Odawara castle, the capture of Kamakura, and most prominently, the invasion of the Miura Clan in the Miura Peninsula. Here, especially with the siege of Arai Castle in 1518, Masauki showed his unfailing loyalty to Shinkurō, assisting with the siege and making sure to inform Shinkurō of any weak points in their line, or in the enemy castle itself. For his constant dedication and loyalty, after the successful incorporation of the Miura Peninsula, Ise Shinkurō granted a small coastal estate to Masauki near the mouth of the peninsula, where Masauki would rest in peace for the remainder of his days. Not even two years later, with the death of Shinkurō and the ascension of Ise Ujitsuna as daimyō, who promptly, due to the great prowess of his father Shinkurō, posthumously declared him as Hōjō Sōun, first of the second Hōjō Clan, and he named himself the second daimyō of the clan. In 1527, Masauki departed the earthly world and left behind his eldest son, __________ Masashiro, to head the __________ Clan as well as the ___________ Estate. Masashiro, while not as close to the Hōjō daimyō as his father was, contributed much to the war against the Uesugi in 1535, when they treacherously attacked the Hōjō. Masashiro, with the ___________ Estate at the very front of the Miura Peninsula, was key in helping to hold the Uesugi back before Ujitsuna could return from his battle with the Takeda to vanquish the Uesugi. And vanquish them he did. He reclaimed some of the old Hōjō territory that the Uesugi had seized, including the razed city of Kamakura, and two years later captured Kawagoe Castle to secure Hōjō dominance over Kantō. Once again, much like his father, after the wars, Masashiro was honorably discharged back to the ___________ Estate, to serve the rest of his days in peace. And in the year of 1567, ___________ Masashiro departed the earthly world and left __________ Masatoki, his only son, the all the possessions and power of the __________ Clan.

Heir: ________ Masaderu

Personal Background:

_________ Masatoki was never a great commander like his father and grandfather were. After his genbuku ceremony, he was content to assist his elderly father administrate the affairs of the _________ Estate. From age 16 to 22, Masatoki helped to streamline the estate processes, a task that his father was very grateful for. While Masatoki was, like several noble clan young men, trained in the basic arts of war, he, unlike his predecessors, has never touched the battlefield. However, he has proved his military capabilities in one instance.

Blanks refer to the clan name.

Note that I'm not sure what the nation form of daimyō is, so I just used domain.

Also note that it's rather difficult to find female names proper to the time period.

Which of the major clans would control the Izu and Miura peninsulas?

WIP

To Bair: The Hojo.

* Are we confined to Honshu for our locations?

* How much, if any, of the previous game is canon?

This game has no connection to the previous game. And yeah, I'd prefer people to be in Honshu.

Nevermind, I don't have the time for this.

Mon: 24, 158-9

Daimyo:

Tokugawa Ieyasu

In the Mikawa Province

Name:
Sakikabara Yuudai

Family:

Shin (Brother, 1545 Deceased)
Yasumasa (Koheita) (Brother, Born 1548 Deceased)
Yuki (Wife, 18 Born 1555)
Daichi (Son, 1 Born 1572)
Naoko (Brother, 18 Born 1555)

Heir: Naoko (until Daichi comes of age)

Personal Background:
Sakibara Yuudai had been born in the Ueno district in the Mikawa province. It was often noted that he seemed to perfectly suit his name and from a young age he had been taller and larger than many of the children that were his age. During his training, Yuudai demonstrated particular aptitude with the bow, though his swordsmanship was still noteworthy nonetheless. He lacked some of the finer skill and expertise with the sword though he made up for that with his strength and stamina. He had his coming of age ritual in 1569 and like his brother (Yasumasa) before him, was made a Hatamoto by Tokugawa Ieyasu and 50 cavalrymen were placed under his command.
The Sakibara clan had long served the Matsudaira (Tokugawa) but during the Tokugawa Ieyasu's consolidation of the Mikawa Province in 1564, the Sakibara clan had been awarded additional land within the Mikawa province. At this time Sakibara Yasumasa became head of the Sakibara clan after their brother Shin was executed since he was in a treasonous plot against the Tokugawa clan and he seemed to have connections to the Ikko-Ikki rebels. Both Yuudai and Yasumasa fought in the battle of Anegawa together and lived to see the victory over the enemy. Unfortunately, Yasumasa did not survive the wounds that he had obtained during the conflict and Yuudai had to take up the mantle and become the head of the Sakibara clan. Yuudai has vowed to honour his brother by continuing to demonstrate his loyalty and valour on and off the fields of battle for the Tokugawa clan.

Mon: 17, 109 -8

Daimyo: Takeda

Family:

Hidoyiomi Takesha (brother - 24 years old)

Heir: Hidoyiomi Takesha

Personal Background: Two orphan brothers, who thanks to their fighting skills managed to impress Daimyo Tokugawa enough to give them an estate and take them at his service.

I'd just like to point out that there can only be 1 retainer for Tokugawa, if you really want Tokugawa Christos, I'd be happy to change.

I will join as Takeda then.

No one is joining as anything. You are applying. And since not a single application is finished yet, technically no one has joined.

+ it is incredibly strange to have a retainer from the Tokugawa be based anywhere near Edo at this time period.

Mon: 1, 6-18

Daimyo:Uesugi Kenshin

Name: Saito Haruki

Family: Akemi, (wife, 19) Hiroshi (son, 2) Katsuo (Father, 40) Haruki was born to the Saito's, a rich aristocratic family. Haruki's father, Katsuo often taught Haruki as a young boy about Confucian, Buddhist, and Shinto principles. Later, when he grew older, Haruki had an arranged marriage with Kurosawa Akemi. Applying the principles he had learned from his childhood, he was kind to his wife, and they were close friends within a week of the marriage. Soon after, they had a son, Hiroshi.

Heir: Of the family members you listed, who is the official heir to the estate / temple?

Personal Background: One day, Uesugi Kenshin was observing his realm with his retainers, he came across a village being attacked by bandits. As he was preparing to attack, he noticed Haruki, who was clearly an aristocrat, risking his life for mere peasants (and doing quite a good job of it too). Uesugi thought, If this young man is risking his life for the peasants, imagine what he would do to defend me! So after the battle was over, Uesugi said, "Why do you risk your lives for mere peasants?" Haruki replied, " According to Buddhist principles, we must strive to protect innocent life, even if it is small, but we must also destroy evil." Uesugi clearly liked his answer, as he gave Haruki and his family an estate and a job as an officer under him.

kkmo, do you have a good source for period monastic names?

Thank you for asking. Anthony Bryant has a website, with a section on names. His information is pretty good, even in his Osprey books, though he is prone to generalizations. I think it is good for our circumstances, though.

That link is good for everyone to read who is interested in joining. And CD, you'll find a lot there about monastic Buddhist names of the period, and different ways you can tweak your names so they mean something.

* * * * * * *​

Re: ChineseWarlord

At this point, I am rejecting your application. I hope you are not disappointed. To critique it a bit, I'll point out a few things (good and bad):
  • In terms of period flair, your location is good. Niigata thrived under Uesugi Kenshin. Though it is likely that there will be more prestigious retainers in the city itself. At this point, your estate would be on the outskirts.
  • I was going to provide names for everyone. And you are showing the reason why. Your family name, Saito, has a lot of negative history attached to it at this time. The Saito Clan that we read about in history books was all but wiped out by this time (which is another story for another day). It is unlikely that the name exists at this point for any samurai clan. And if that was your name beforehand, whether blood related to the former Saito Clan or not, it is more than likely that you would adopt a new name once in the service of Kenshin.
  • Kurosawa, eh? Remember that Japanese names have great meaning. I sure hope you aren't just finding names online and attaching them to your characters.
  • The background info and the story are to be separate. Background info is to declare facts as to how your character inherited an estate, and any other pertinent information.
  • The story of how your character inherited an estate is shallow and reflects a superficial view of Japanese history.

Apologies, ChineseWarlord, but for the time being, you should sit out. I'd love to work on your profile with you as time goes by, and add you to the NES when it seems appropriate.

Keep in mind, people, that you all don't have to be recent inheritors, either. Many a samurai clan were kept low throughout the years, still loyal to their daimyo, and sadly never able to see a higher stipend.

I had a feeling it would be rejected, but that doesn't mean I won't stop trying! I love this idea too much to just give up.

I did actually know what Kurosawa meant, but I liked Kurosawa too much to pass up. I will look up another name though. Had no idea that the Saito clan was infamous.

As for background info and story separate, I think I get what you're saying and will revise.

In terms of the superficiality view, I thought this was for people of all familiarities with Japanese history? I understand where you're coming from though and will do some more research. Finally, as for shallowness, I'm not yet used to writing huge mammoth posts like others in the NESing community are. I shall do my best though, to satisfy the requirements of acceptance. With any luck, the second time's the charm. If not, I'll keep on posting until you say, "seriously, stop. Just...stop." Have yourself a wonderful evening! (Or day or night or whatever if you aren't on the east coast of the U.S. like I am.)

I would like to mention that, if one chooses to do research on Wikipedia, Japanese Wikipedia is (obviously) much more useful. And if you can't understand Japanese very well, then just use the Translate option that Google offers. And obviously, the translations get a little weird, but they're nice for getting the general gist of things, and can offer much more information.

Top Bottom