Free +1 attitude with AI

Major Tom

Immortal
Say you have 2 fish resources. AI1 has 1 spare clam and AI2 has 1 spare crab. Trading both fish resources (meaning 0 to yourself) for the crab and clam gives your cities same health and sooner or later +1 with AI for good trade relation. This is even getting more interesting adding other resources with a +2 health bonus depending on buildings in your cities.

wow. these simple and marginal things are what I am looking here for. to play some challanging difficulty. Txanx.

I've been doing this for a while and there seems to be no downside, as long as you are trading like for like (health for health, happy for happy).

SlipperyJim said:
Actually, wouldn't that give you even better results? Multiple fish don't give multiple bonii, but clams & crabs will each give you a health bonus.

Yeah, his example isn't perfect, but the idea is a good one. Trade your single resources away for equivalent resources. You don't gain health or happiness, but you do gain good AI relations. I've been doing this for a while, and it works quite well when the opportunity presents itself.

SlipperyJim said:
Actually, wouldn't that give you even better results? Multiple fish don't give multiple bonii, but clams & crabs will each give you a health bonus.

Seems like a sharp idea to me! :goodjob:

But Fish AND clams OR crabs will give you that too....and ofcourse, you have to watch that dreaded "You have traded with our worst enemy" crap when you trade everyone.

Hmmm....interesting tatic, I will have to give it a try

As far as I know, equal trades do not improve your relations with AI or give you any diplomatic bonuses. If you give 1 fish for 1 clam, what bonus do you get?

It is definitely not "our trade relations have been fair and forthright", which you get for giving techs, gold or maps. There is a bonus for "we appreciate the years you have supplied us with resources," but in my experience, you need to gift resources for free (nothing in return) in order to get that bonus.

As for the strategy of trading away excess resources you have for ones you don't have, that's the whole point of tradeable resources (and why one type of resource, e.g. gold or sheep, only spawns on one continent), so its not really a strategy.

Then you get the jerk AI who demands you cancel all deals with another AI...

kamigawan said:
There is a bonus for "we appreciate the years you have supplied us with resources," but in my experience, you need to gift resources for free (nothing in return) in order to get that bonus.

Yes, you DO get the +1 from "we appreciate the years....." It seems to take QUITE a while, but it eventually shows up.

About the only resource I have found the AI to be reluctant to trade (and even if they do, they want an arm or a leg for it) is Ivory. I love trading like a spare Sheep for Gold or Silver when I have Forges in all of my cities. +1 Health for +2 Happy. AI takes the trade every time.

kamigawan said:
It is definitely not "our trade relations have been fair and forthright", which you get for giving techs, gold or maps.
It definitely is. Many games I'm only willing to trade resources, and I still get this relationship bonus. It just takes time to develop where I'd imagine techs, gold, and maps have an immediate effect.

The downside to trading resources to an AI is that the AI then benefits from it. I only trade when I get more out of the deal than lose. Sometimes the +1 to relations might make it worth it. Othertimes not. Remember, you're competing against these civs. Don't strengthen them when you can choose not to.

kamigawan said:
There is a bonus for "we appreciate the years you have supplied us with resources," but in my experience, you need to gift resources for free (nothing in return) in order to get that bonus.

I get this bonus quite frequently with even trades, or by selling my spare resources for gold. Granted, I think it comes up faster depending on how good of a deal the AI is getting.

It's a good idea, but I'd personally save it to use on civs that are already leaning my direction. A +1 bonus when they're already -4 because of religion probably won't keep you out of war, but a +1 stacked on top of +5 or higher relations may be the difference between "we just don't like you enough" and "OK" when you ask for help during wartime.
On a related note, does anyone know whether current deals have any impact on whether or not the AI will declare war on you? It's pretty clear that attitude and religion don't mean as much as power, but it would be interesting to hear some feedback. Anyone ever have the AI attack you even though you were their only source of Iron, Copper, or (even bigger) Horses?

Lord Chambers said:
It definitely is. Many games I'm only willing to trade resources, and I still get this relationship bonus. It just takes time to develop where I'd imagine techs, gold, and maps have an immediate effect.

Ok, well then I stand corrected. I've never noticed it even when gifting free resources for a diplomatic win. Perhaps my bonus was already at +4 (the maximum) at the time.

Mastiff_of_Ar said:
Then you get the jerk AI who demands you cancel all deals with another AI...
If you carefully pick and choose who you want on your side-say for diplomatic victory votes-and those who will get picked on by your 'team.' If you can satisfy a few other leaders, you can ignore the civs that want you to stop trading. Since their vote is foregone it doesn't matter how much they hate you.:D

SlipperyJim said:

Seems like a sharp idea to me! :goodjob:

Bonii...? If this was Latin, this would be correct, but I think it's bonuses. Made me laugh a bit.

BlackMage said:
Bonii...? If this was Latin, this would be correct, but I think it's bonuses. Made me laugh a bit.

First off, in Latin, bonus is an adjective, and second, the plural to agree with a nominative plural would be boni, not bonii.

Top Bottom