Free resources

Cobalt_Blue

Chieftain
Do you think it would greatly hurt the strategic value of the game if, upon researching some appropriate tech, you received one of a given resource (probably excluding Uranium), with no tile needed.

Let me explain.

Example: Upon researching Animal Husbandry you can see Horses, but upon researching Horseback Riding, you get one free Horse.

Example: Upon researching Iron Working you can see Iron, but upon researching Steel, you get one free Iron.

Why I want it: There have been too many games where there was simply no way to get access to a particular resource at all for me. I've seen games where there was simply no way to get Iron, or no way to get either Coal or Aluminum. And some of those can be incredibly important. If you have no way to get Iron, you essentially have no credible ranged units between Archers and Cannon, for example. I'm sure you can see the limitations with the other resources as well.

Why I think it's reasonable:
A) Most of these resources are were important in their time periods because they were accessible to the cultures of those periods. You could get iron during the Iron Ages, or Coal during the Industrial Revolution; whether it came directly from your country or not, you could get it somewhere.
B) This would give the player options, but retain the game's extant struggles for power and resource tiles. 1 Iron will let me build a single trebuchet for defense, but it won't let me start a war with an entrenched enemy. 1 Coal will let me build a single unit or factory in one city, giving me options, but not changing the fact that someone with 8 Coal has a much greater advantage.
*edit: C) Essentially, I see this as a middle ground option between normal play and the "strategic balance" resource option.

Of course, as I mentioned at the beginning, I would exclude Uranium from this scheme, for obvious reasons.

My plan:
Horses: see at Animal Husbandry, 1 free at Horseback Riding
Iron: see at Iron Working, 1 free at Steel
Coal: see at Scientific Theory, 1 free at Steam Power
Oil: see at Biology, 1 free at Combustion
Aluminum: see at Electricity, 1 free at Electronics

Eh, I really think one free Iron or Horse isn't going to make a difference to anyone. Rather than see some free iron given out, I'd rather see some more resource-free units or something like that. And the rest aren't as necessary as Iron/you're more likely to find them since you'll have expanded your territory by the time it's time to get them.

Eh, I really think one free Iron or Horse isn't going to make a difference to anyone. Rather than see some free iron given out, I'd rather see some more resource-free units or something like that. And the rest aren't as necessary as Iron/you're more likely to find them since you'll have expanded your territory by the time it's time to get them.

It wouldn't make much difference, but really that's the point of balance changes. If it made a BIG difference, it wouldn't be balanced. Changes like having Stables increase sheep production by 1 is a small change, but when added all up it makes a big difference.

The rest are perhaps not as necessary as Iron, but I disagree that you necessarily have access to any. I've had a number of games where there was no way to get Coal or Aluminum.

Plus, I think it provides another fun incentive for getting certain techs, and in some situations, it might change your tech strategy considerably. I don't have access to Coal, but I really want a Factory in my Production City. Do I beeline Steam Power to get 1 Coal, or keep researching Fertilizer?

---

Well, everyone seems pretty meh on the idea. Guess I'll just have to mod it in for myself! :cool:

I think it undermines the point of having resources as specific to a tile if you're giving them away free. It might kinda suck if you don't have access to a certain resource, but that's just part of the game; by design. It's something you're meant to adapt to.

I think it undermines the point of having resources as specific to a tile if you're giving them away free. It might kinda suck if you don't have access to a certain resource, but that's just part of the game; by design. It's something you're meant to adapt to.

Do you think then that the "Strategic Balance" resource setting is counter to the design of the game then? For my taste, I feel that the Strategic Balance option goes too far in reducing the strategic aspect of resources, and I intend this to be something in the middle.

I think this sounds like a great idea. I hope that this does get modded because it would balance it out more for civs without resources or on a 1 city challenge, however it may not matter much as the opponent will also get it pretty much nullifying yours if you dont use it right.
so :thumbsup: if/when its made

Do you think then that the "Strategic Balance" resource setting is counter to the design of the game then? For my taste, I feel that the Strategic Balance option goes too far in reducing the strategic aspect of resources, and I intend this to be something in the middle.

Well that's an option, right? Not part of the default settings. There's a bit more allowance for fitting in with core design when it's an non-default option.

Well that's an option, right? Not part of the default settings. There's a bit more allowance for fitting in with core design when it's an non-default option.

Yeah, you're probably right about it being an option. But I made it a mod so now it is!

I think this sounds like a great idea. I hope that this does get modded because it would balance it out more for civs without resources or on a 1 city challenge, however it may not matter much as the opponent will also get it pretty much nullifying yours if you dont use it right.
so :thumbsup: if/when its made

Thanks for the encouragement! It really helped me finish the mod! :)

For those who might be interested, I finished the first version of the mod. The thread about it is here:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=416215

OK, see ya! :goodjob:

Top Bottom