FreeCiv4 ?

pdrozdowski

Chieftain
Hi guys,
Recently I had a bunch of thoughts on starting project of rewriting freeciv into more recent tech stack. I would like to pick C#+Mono+XML to make it as portable as possible. Additionally I would like to make run on ruleset/featureset of Civ4 BTS.

For sure the effort would be significant as for such a hobby project, so firstly I would like to check out with you guys does it makes much sense really to do it and would you find an use of it?

Let me know what you think...

Has anyone an idea what can be reused from original civ4 not to violate copyrights?

Regards

I am not a legal analyst (obviously :p) but I do not think that the music used in the game is made by Firaxis or other large companies; so you may be able to use the early music in the game (since it is minimalist). This is a stretch but maybe civilopedia entries if edited could also be used.

Well Babu Yetu is a Swahili adaptation of the Lord's Prayer. I would think almost everything is copyrighted except for the history the game is based of. If its modded elements you would have to to ask the creator. I don't know if the Moddiquette applies to work outside of CivFanatics. Your best bet is to get permission from Firaxis and FreeCiv4 is a noncommercial project.

CIV IV Credits
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/sid-meiers-civilization-iv/credits

Well Babu Yetu is a Swahili adaptation of the Lord's Prayer.

Regardless of whether the lyrics are copyrightable, the actual recording is. This got a few people into trouble on YouTube where they used recordings of Mozart/Beethoven etc. being played by orchestras in the 80s/90s etc.

Civ4 is a cheap game, so why make a free version.

Put the effort into modding.

Civ4 is a cheap game, so why make a free version.

Put the effort into modding.

Better modding experience through adding more core features, allowing anyone to play it, may even have better performance.

Top Bottom