Freedom -> Pluralism

Lord Shadow

General
I haven't gotten the game yet, but something's been nagging me for a good while: the use of the word 'Freedom' for a policy tree when there's already another tree called 'Liberty', which is essentially the same. I've been looking at the manual, and obviously the Freedom tree is meant to be the continuation of Liberty, at least ideologically.

But the uncreative use of what are essentially synonyms for different sections annoys my picky self.

So I've been tossing ideas around, trying to find a replacement term for Freedom's tree, and obviously the first policy, which has the same name. A friend suggested Populism, but that's usually derogatorily associated with demagogy and the like. I came up with Pluralism myself. Sounds alright, at least on the surface, and comes more or less from the same era (Renaissance) that unlocks the policy tree. What do you guys think?

I'll start tinkering with the XMLs as soon as I get my copy of Civ5, but changing the title graphic will be tricky without templates and the like. Unless it's miraculously just text that the game embellishes automatically. Or I'm blessed with a great artist! :gp:

You could go with "Constitution" and then rename the first branch to something else (Pluralism perhaps, lol). All the branches have something to do with rights (Universal Sufferage and Free Speech) or government (Democracy) so it fits.

btw, perhaps "Liberty" could be changed to "Republicanism" or "Republic".

I hope it's all just text! ;)

I wouldn't care for Liberty being called Republic. The policy trees are named for ideas, not government types.
Maybe Liberty could be renamed Sovereignty?

You could go with "Constitution" and then rename the first branch to something else (Pluralism perhaps, lol). All the branches have something to do with rights (Universal Sufferage and Free Speech) or government (Democracy) so it fits.

btw, perhaps "Liberty" could be changed to "Republicanism" or "Republic".

I hope it's all just text! ;)
Thing is Pluralism is an idea that came to be in the 18th century. The Liberty tree represents the earliest forms of democracy, from ancient Greece. Plus, yes, the names are based off ideas, not government types.

Maybe Liberty could be renamed Sovereignty?
The policies under Liberty aren't really that related to sovereignty. See above.

Top Bottom